Kuiu Mountain Star or Durston XMid???

Dipping my feet into spike camping this year. September Colorado elk.

I’ve had my eye on the Durston XMid 2p solid, but see that the Kuiu Mountain Star is on sale for about the same price.

I guess I don’t have a preference either way about free standing vs trekking poles.

I think the Durston is about a pound lighter.

Any reason I should choose one over the other?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Well, that's good timing. I just received my durston xmid 2p yesterday and hope to get out this weekend for a test ride.
My go to the last 4 or so years has been the mountain star and it's been absolutely outstanding. Nothing but good to say about it.
Wanted to give the xmid2 a try due to its design and weight savings.......I'll let you know.
Can't go wrong with either.

Randy

Xmid is a great tent but in open areas with windy conditions you’ll want the Mountain Star… and that’s a hell of a deal on them. It’s not as roomy inside but handles weather really well if you set it up right (guy outs) .

6.5x284

WKR
I’ve had both (well the Xmid pro) and my general rule is Sep 31 and earlier below 10k, Xmid. Sep into winter Mountain Star. 10k plus Mountain Star. If planned camp is very exposed Mountain Star.

Sep CO elk would be great for the Xmid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have experience with the Xmid, but the Mountain Star 2p is by far my favorite tent, and its a total steal right now. I paid more for mine used than they are new right now, and I'd still pay full price for it if i had to.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered the Mountain Star to go with my Stratospire 2. I don't have a single complaint about the Strato but it IS pretty darn big for 1 person (I'm 5'6") and when I carry the extra poles so that I can keep my trekking poles on me there really isn't much of a weight difference.