Kuiu Mesa shirt

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a three of them. I really like them. They could become my favorite hot weather shirt. I think they are better than several brands of "fly fishing" shirts that I have had. I like the feel and texture of the interior of the fabric. It isn't the same as like a Columbia or Patagonia shirt. I think those shirts feel clingy, like they are sticking to me when I get sweaty. The best fishing shirts I ever had were some 20ish year-old Patagonia flats shirts. They were part cotton and part synthetic, which is a good combo really, and they were vented. Of course, they quit making them and went to the full synthetic, low environmental impact, green fabric that sticks to me when I sweat. But they can now brag about how little they weigh.

OK, back to the Kuiu Mesa. I really like the cut and fit and I am a huge fan of the snaps over buttons. Now the one thing that sucks. It is the pocket on your right side. It doesn't zip like the one on the left side, and it gapes. I tried to shoot trap while wearing the shirt and the gaping pocket grabs my shotgun when I dismount it from my shoulder. I am seriously thinking about taking the right pocket off or sewing it shut. The first one I bought was camo and was intended for dove hunting. I won't be able to use it for that until I do something with the right pocket.

I like them enough that I bought one then ordered 2 more. The pocket will be an easy fix.

Last edited:

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
I have a three of them. I really like them. They could become my favorite hot weather shirt. I think they are better than several brands of "fly fishing" shirts that I have had. I like the feel and texture of the interior of the fabric. It isn't the same as like a Columbia or Patagonia shirt. I think those shirts feel clingy, like they are sticking to me when I get sweaty. The best fishing shirts I ever had were some 20ish year-old Patagonia flats shirts. They were part cotton and part synthetic, which is a good combo really, and they were vented. Of course, they quit making them and went to the full synthetic, low environmental impact, green fabric that sticks to me when I sweat. But they can now brag about how little they weigh.

OK, back to the Kuiu Mesa. I really like the cut and fit and I am a huge fan of the snaps over buttons. Now the one thing that sucks. It is the pocket on your right side. It doesn't zip like the one on the left side, and it gapes. I tried to shoot trap while wearing the shirt and the gaping pocket grabs my shotgun when I dismount it from my shoulder. I am seriously thinking about taking the right pocket off or sewing it shut. The first one I bought was camo and was intended for dove hunting. I won't be able to use it for that until I do something with the right pocket.

I like them enough that I bought one then ordered 2 more. The pocket will be an easy fix.
Also a fan of snaps.

That pocket sounds like a gaping oversight...

Samson7x

WKR
I ended up getting a SS and LS and do love them. I also think they should have put zippers on both pockets. Very cool and comfortable, great fabric. it does wrinkle fairly easy if that matters to you.

JRS3

FNG
I have both Short and Long Sleeve Mesas. I’m 6’1” and 205#. I just used both on a week hiking trip through Southern Utah and Northern Arizona. The material and snaps (tougher than expected) are great but I agree about the pocket on the right side; it’s unnecessary and I could see it getting in the way while shooting a gun. One of the short sleeves is a size L and I wear it untucked, which proved nice while hiking. It was comfortably/athletically cut. The back vent was helpful while wearing a backpack to increase air flow but definitely does not remove all back sweat while wearing a pack.

The other shirt and long sleeves are size XL. I used them tucked in and they were not too baggy. I liked the long sleeve when the temps cooled off in the afternoons and early mornings. I would buy again but if Kuiu gives me a chance to review, I will give 4 stars with the comment to redesign with out the extra chest pocket.