Kuiu Layering system feedback

Soskop

FNG
Building a Kuiu set and would like feedback from anyone who has used any of the items on my list. Let me know if you would remove any items, or replace any items with something else.

Currently in Alaska, but my wife is active duty so hunting location will change

Tops:

Base: Ultra Merino 145 Zip-T (already have)

Mid Fleece:
Peloton 240 Full Zip Hoodie
OR
Strong fleece 275 Full Zip Hoodie
(can't decide between the two)

Mid Insulation:Kenai Vest
Outer: Guide DCS Jacket
Insulated Outer: Super Down Pro Hooded

Bottom:
Base: Ultra Merino 145 Zip-Off
Outer: Attack Pant (already have)
Insulated Outer: Super Down Pro Pant

Rain Gear:
Chugach TR Rain Jacket
Chugach TR Rain Pant
Yukon HD Gaiters

Accessories:
Ultra Merino 145 Beanie
Proximity Neck Gaiter
StrongFleece 220 Glove (hoping these would also work as liners for the Guide X Gloves)
Guide X Glove
Super Down pro Glassing Glomitt

Any and all feedback is welcomed! I am new to Kuiu, so please give me your experienced opinions!

OP
Soskop

Soskop

FNG
My first thought is to switch the kenai vest for the kenai jacket. Then I can run the kenai or guide jacket depending on weather, and layer them if need be as well

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Agree that vests are overrated, coming from a prior vest guy. Skip the guide jacket and go straight to a hard shell. Soft shell’s don’t have much of a place in my Alaska experience (6 years). I won a set of Axis Hybrid at sheep show and while it’s nice, it just didn’t get much use in Alaska. In the dry season (winter), you usually need a heavier insulation while stationary, and want less while moving.

Looks like a pretty good setup. If heavy excursion, rain, or situations where you crawl bag in wet, I would put a synthetic next to skin. Personally I have weeded our softshells on backpack hunts. Heavy with minimal warmth. Use your rain gear top over down or Kenai when stopped or glassing.

I don't have all the pieces you are looking into, but if the strongfleece 270 is anything like the 260 version, it is a non-bulky heavy piece that will need very little over it save for weather or real cold. With a base and the strongfleece 260 I am comfortable static hunting into the low 50's to upper 40's depending on weather, active hunting will take you down into the 30's easily and possibly into the 20's. It is a warm piece of gear.

Do not sleep on the promerino 200 series. I love the feel and function of this material. Wicks well, keeps you feeling fresh and is surprisingly warm for the weight.

The attack pants are great, and with a base can get me into the 50's, static but the axis are a great piece as well with some more waterproofing sections and with the brushed fleece inside, they are warmer, so not as much need for base layer. When static easily wear the axis pants in the 50's and well into the 30's with a base. I do use my sitka stratus pants/bibs a lot more since I am an archery type of guy for cooler weather, but the axis pants are also a pair I wouldn't sleep on if you are looking at more wet weather and cooler hunts (as compared to the attacks). The axis and attacks are a little loud for me when archery hunting from a stand. Active archery hunting probably won't be as big a deal and the toughness of these pants is a plus for active hunting.

Finally, consider a heavier hat to add. The lightweight beanie is good, but when the wind is blowing and you want something to hold heat, that isn't going to cut it.

I have merino base layer, peloton 90 1/4 zip (I think it's 90), kenai jacket and guide jacket that works well for me. I'll wear the kenai under the guide jacket for cold temps down here in Texas. Has worked good for me in the low teens and single digits with wind.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

OP
Soskop

Soskop

FNG
Agree that vests are overrated, coming from a prior vest guy. Skip the guide jacket and go straight to a hard shell. Soft shell’s don’t have much of a place in my Alaska experience (6 years). I won a set of Axis Hybrid at sheep show and while it’s nice, it just didn’t get much use in Alaska. In the dry season (winter), you usually need a heavier insulation while stationary, and want less while moving.
Base: Ultra Merino 145 Zip-T
Mid Fleece: Peloton 200
Mid Insulation: Kenai Jacket
Insulated Outer: Super Down Pro or other insulated jacket?

something more like that?

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a penny pincher, so if you’re committed to a true puffy and a fleece mid layer I’d skip the Kenai. But it’s your money! I’ve worn a buddy’s Kenai and it’s a sweet jacket. I have a Sitka Ambient and usually go SS, that, puffy, hard shell. That gets me through to November-ish.

Last edited:
OP
Soskop

Soskop

FNG
This is where I am at now with the top layers at least:

Mid Fleece: Peloton 200 Hoodie

Mid insulation: Kenai hooded Jacket (can use as an outer early season)

Insulated Outer: Super Down Pro Ho
oded (mostly for glassing sits)

Rain Jacket: (undecided)

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I loved the kenai for a long time but now I feel there’s better options for an active insulation or synthetic puffy. It needs to loose its insulation across the back and possibly under the arms. Not warm enough to use as a traditional synthetic puffy.

Peloton 240 is a nice piece, only con is that it’s stiff compared to a traditional fleece so layering over it isn’t as comfortable.

Guide (out going dcs version) eh, it’s just heavy stiff and over featured while not really giving you anything substantial other than durability.

OP
Soskop

Soskop

FNG
I loved the kenai for a long time but now I feel there’s better options for an active insulation or synthetic puffy. It needs to loose its insulation across the back and possibly under the arms. Not warm enough to use as a traditional synthetic puffy.

Peloton 240 is a nice piece, only con is that it’s stiff compared to a traditional fleece so layering over it isn’t as comfortable.
I swapped the peloton 240 for the peloton 200

What would you suggest instead of the kenai Jacket? I would love to use it as an outer layer in early season, or a layer under something else in colder weather, and fit under rain gear

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I swapped the peloton 240 for the peloton 200

What would you suggest instead of the me AJ. Jacket? I would love to use it as an outer layer in early season, or a layer under something else in colder weather, and fit under rain gear
Nice choice there, the 200 is really comfortable. In place of the kenai I ended up with the Deviator hoodie from Outdoor Research. It has insulation similar to the Sitka ambient but uses a mild grid fleece under the arms and across the back.

LightFoot

WKR
Building a Kuiu set and would like feedback from anyone who has used any of the items on my list. Let me know if you would remove any items, or replace any items with something else.

Currently in Alaska, but my wife is active duty so hunting location will change

Tops:

Base: Ultra Merino 145 Zip-T (already have)

Mid Fleece:
Peloton 240 Full Zip Hoodie
OR
Strong fleece 275 Full Zip Hoodie
(can't decide between the two)

Mid Insulation:Kenai Vest
Outer: Guide DCS Jacket

Bottom:
Outer: Attack Pant (already have)
Insulated Outer: Super Down Pro Pant

Rain Gear:
Chugach TR Rain Jacket
Chugach TR Rain Pant
Yukon HD Gaiters

Accessories:
Ultra Merino 145 Beanie
Proximity Neck Gaiter
StrongFleece 220 Glove (hoping these would also work as liners for the Guide X Gloves)
Guide X Glove

Any and all feedback is welcomed! I am new to Kuiu, so please give me your experienced opinions!

Peloton 240 over Strongfleece. Iñthe fabric in the peloton will hold up better and it is a solid early season stand alone jacket.

Ditch the guide jacket.

Ditch the vest. If you must get a vest, get the peloton vest and ditch the 240 jacket. Leaves a hole for jacket if you’re ditching the guide but my experience is that softshell jackets are not great layering pieces. I don’t think you’d miss it.

Go with the Kenai jacket. It’s my favorite because it is warm and breathes well.

Kutana rain clear is better than chugach. For AK, the Yukon rain gear is even better, but it is substantially heavier/thicker.

145 for base layers is perfect. I’d get an extra shirt.

I’d add in the peloton 97 as a extra layer. I’ve been considering cutting the sleeves off mine to make it an ultralight vest. I’m not bold enough yet.

Superdown Pro will be great.

>>>——JAKE——>

OP
Soskop

Soskop

FNG
Peloton 240 over Strongfleece. Iñthe fabric in the peloton will hold up better and it is a solid early season stand alone jacket.

Ditch the guide jacket.

Ditch the vest. If you must get a vest, get the peloton vest and ditch the 240 jacket. Leaves a hole for jacket if you’re ditching the guide but my experience is that softshell jackets are not great layering pieces. I don’t think you’d miss it.

Go with the Kenai jacket. It’s my favorite because it is warm and breathes well.

Kutana rain clear is better than chugach. For AK, the Yukon rain gear is even better, but it is substantially heavier/thicker.

145 for base layers is perfect. I’d get an extra shirt.

I’d add in the peloton 97 as a extra layer. I’ve been considering cutting the sleeves off mine to make it an ultralight vest. I’m not bold enough yet.

Superdown Pro will be great.

>>>——JAKE——>
I ended up grabbing a peloton 200 for a mid layer. Figured I could just use it as an outer layer early season or when we move somewhere less cold.

Here is where I am at now:

Top:
Mid insulation: Kenai hooded Jacket
(I will probably add a Peloton 118 short sleeve shirt as well sometime in the future)

Bottom:
Outer: Attack Pant (Will also get a pair of Axis Pants in the future)
Insulated: Super Down Pro Pant

Rain Gear:
Kutana Storm Shell Rain Jacket
Kutana Storm Shell Rain Pant
Yukon HD Gaiters

Accessories:
Ultra Merino 145 Beanie (maybe a warmer one)
Strong Fleece 220 Glove
Guide X Glove

LightFoot

WKR
I ended up grabbing a peloton 200 for a mid layer. Figured I could just use it as an outer layer early season or when we move somewhere less cold.

Here is where I am at now:

Top:
Mid insulation: Kenai hooded Jacket
(I will probably add a Peloton 118 short sleeve shirt as well sometime in the future)

Bottom:
Outer: Attack Pant (Will also get a pair of Axis Pants in the future)
Insulated: Super Down Pro Pant

Rain Gear:
Kutana Storm Shell Rain Jacket
Kutana Storm Shell Rain Pant
Yukon HD Gaiters

Accessories:
Ultra Merino 145 Beanie (maybe a warmer one)
Strong Fleece 220 Glove
Guide X Glove

Also, the Kutana pants are way better than the attack pants (to me). They are thinner and tougher. The attacks may be a bit warmer but I use the base layers for warmth.

>>>——JAKE——>