KUIU Kenai vs super down ultra?

Dries

WKR
Those of you that have them Which is going to be warmer? I Like them both but don’t want to double up on an item and never use them. Would like to use as a mid layer with proximity.
TIA

68Plexi

WKR
They are for separate purposes. The Kenai is synthetic and best if you are going to be hiking in it. That’s why they call is “active” insulation.

The super down is warmer than the Kenai but it’s for stationary use. Glassing or in a tree stand type activity. You will sweat like crazy hiking in down and then it loses its ability to heat.

They are both great pieces, just for different purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRS3

FNG
I have both and cannot detect a difference regarding warmth.

Before ordering either, I called Kuiu and asked about the two. Their CS told me the Kenai is slightly warmer but it is very close. The Kenai is thicker and my guess is that is where the claim comes from.

The difference in choosing depends on what you want to do with it. If purely a layer underneath another piece and you want stuffability into a pack, then go with the down. If you believe you will wear it some as an outer layer, go with the Kenai, as it appears to be more rugged. Both are great pieces.

The Ultra is warmer, especially in the wind. But it doesn’t breath and makes a very poor mid or even top layer if you are doing anything active. Great piece for glassing, around camp and augment the sleeping bag at night. Stuffs down and weighs “nothing”, well 9 ounces for mine.

The Kenai is working well hiking and skiing. Love the pit zips too. Bulkier but am happy to have it. Very quiet outer material, as well as inner.

Both excellent but useful in different applications in my experience.

OMB

WKR
The Ultra is warmer, especially in the wind. But it doesn’t breath and makes a very poor mid or even top layer if you are doing anything active. Great piece for glassing, around camp and augment the sleeping bag at night. Stuffs down and weighs “nothing”, well 9 ounces for mine.

The Kenai is working well hiking and skiing. Love the pit zips too. Bulkier but am happy to have it. Very quiet outer material, as well as inner.

Both excellent but useful in different applications in my experience.

Bingo on the description.

The Kenai might be my favorite all around jacket that they sell. I don't wear it when I have to bust brush, but it's great for everything else. I have both Super Down jackets and honestly if I need a down jacket, I pack the Pro every single time.

@Dries I deer hunted in the Proximity jacket into negative temperatures several times this past season, and almost always used the Kenai as a layer underneath and it worked well, especially with the Ultra Down vest under the Kenai. Super Down Ultra has it's uses, but is way more limited.

EdP

WKR
I have the hooded Kenai and the SD Pro. Both great pieces and as 68Plexi said, completely different pieces for different purposes. The SD Pro is much warmer than the Kenai and not something you are likely to wear on the move. Both are made to be very packable so the exterior fabric is not very tough. You need some kind of shell over them if in the brush. That's not a complaint, it's just physics, light and packable was their target and they hit it. The Kenai is quiet. The SD Pro, like any down puffy, is more noisy due to the fabric required to retain down.

I find my Kenai paired with a vest, pile shirt, and base layer to work for me at 35F and above even sitting for a couple of hours. That's with some kind of shell over top because I am always going thru brush and brambles. When sitting I often pull out the SD Pro and put it over my legs.

Those of you that have them Which is going to be warmer? I Like them both but don’t want to double up on an item and never use them. Would like to use as a mid layer with proximity.
TIA
The kenai isn’t super warm, but it breaths well and is very quiet for a puffy. It’s a great jacket, but you will be disappointed if that’s your outer layer with no wind shell sitting on a cold windy glassing knob.

I have no experience with the latter, but very comparative down jacket are warmer as a stationary glassing jacket.

If you hunt a wet climate, the kifaru lost park parka is a great versatile jacket that can handle some moisture, breaths ok and is pretty wind resistant

I wear my kenai a bunch, but if it’s cold and windy and I’m stationary, I will wear a wind proof shell

I have both. Kenai is an excellent active synthetic mid layer insulation or as an outer layer in mild to cool conditions. The Ultra is lightweight down and is warmer than the Kenai but it's design for more passive activities like glassing or stand hunting. Out West I use the Kenai from September through December and adjust my base and mid layers accordingly. I find the Kenai to be extremely versatile while the Ultra is limited to colder or stationary use. Example, sitting at a high glassing knob or stand hunting whitetail deer.

Late season I'll use both, Kenai (actually I have the Patagonia Nano Air, basically the same thing) for hiking and then when I get to a glassing spot, once I cool off, throw on the down over the top.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I actually have both and I am selling the super down ultra after replacing it with a warmer coat. I didn’t notice a huge difference in warmth between the two. The kenai has a quiet outer material that I like when bow hunting.
The down coat does pack down smaller and is much more convenient to store in your pack when hiking.