Kuiu Kenai vs. Sitka Ambient

Typants

FNG
Anyone have the new sitka ambient that could compare it to the kuiu kenai? Looking for a good active insulation layer.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
I do mountain or backpack hunts for elk in CO and stand hunting in south Texas for whitetailed deer in late Dec using my Kuiu gear. I can layer as I need and have never really been uncomfortable.

The Kenai line of clothing from Kuiu is one that I have not used, but seems like it would be great for stand hunting. I have used my down jacket if the temps are going to be cold all day long.

C.payne

WKR
I can only speak to the Sitka Ambient Hoody.
So far I don’t think I have ever worn a mid layer piece that is so versatile. It is incredibly warm for its weight, regulates my body temperature extremely well and drys incredibly fast. It is extremely comfortable and stretchy. I liked it so much I now have two.
There is a draw back though and its disappointing. The outer fabric has not been very durable for me on either of my hoodies. One of them has pilling and thread pulls in the front armpit/shoulder area after only wearing under a rain jacket for two days and the other has a stitched seam opening up on the front mid body.
The fact that Sitka continues to mention that it is a “durable” mid layer is interesting after both of mine have seemed to show these signs of wear with only light use.
Also this piece is really expensive. Currently being sold in Canada for $409.99.
For a piece in that price range I would expect to get years of hard use out of it.

Anyone have the new sitka ambient that could compare it to the kuiu kenai? Looking for a good active insulation layer.
Sitka ambient has less insulation factor then the kenai, but the ambient breathes much better.

Kenai comes with hand pockets in the hooded version. Sitka was at pint night when it was pocket design night for the hoodie and forgot to add them

Last edited:

Dennis

WKR
I have both and can't say I have really tested one against the other, but I will give you my thoughts. They are both nice jackets, but are different in a few aspects. My Ambient is not camo and I wear it around town and home. I purchased it in XL and it fits nicely. The Kenai is in Verde camo and is XXL and it also fits nicely, but might be slightly looser.

The Sitka Ambient weighs 17.30 oz in XL and has a slightly shorter cut, is noisier than the Kenai. It does however seem warmer.
The Kuiu Kenai weighs 17.64 oz in XXL and is a much quieter coat, has a slightly longer cut and very comfortable to wear and is soft to the touch. I don't seem to get as hot in it.
Both have zippered chest pockets. The Kenai has two large internal pockets and underarm pit zippers which are nice to cool down with out removing the coat. I wear XL in Sitka gear and XXL in Kuiu gear and both have a similar fit to me.

If I had to pick one I would lean towards the Kenai for the comfort, pit zips and quietness. Good luck

Super tag

WKR
I’ve been whitetail hunting a lot this week and I have to say, this ambient is the very best piece of Hunting clothing I’ve ever purchased, I have or have used just about everything

The ambient jacket is amazingly warm and super lightweight. You won’t be disappointed. Kuiu has nothing like it that I’m aware of, I have a lot of Kuiu, nothing like this.

I wore my ambient jacket today with a base layer and a stratus jacket over top in high 20’s weather, and was perfectly comfortable: up top. My feet and hands gave out way before my core did.

Really like this line. Couple of mods i would make but the hoody and jacket are money for my uses.

brandr67

FNG
That's good to hear. I'm a big fan of the Kenai so if the Ambient is as good as advertised I might have to pick one up and compare.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and can't say I have really tested one against the other, but I will give you my thoughts. They are both nice jackets, but are different in a few aspects. My Ambient is not camo and I wear it around town and home. I purchased it in XL and it fits nicely. The Kenai is in Verde camo and is XXL and it also fits nicely, but might be slightly looser.

The Sitka Ambient weighs 17.30 oz in XL and has a slightly shorter cut, is noisier than the Kenai. It does however seem warmer.
The Kuiu Kenai weighs 17.64 oz in XXL and is a much quieter coat, has a slightly longer cut and very comfortable to wear and is soft to the touch. I don't seem to get as hot in it.
Both have zippered chest pockets. The Kenai has two large internal pockets and underarm pit zippers which are nice to cool down with out removing the coat. I wear XL in Sitka gear and XXL in Kuiu gear and both have a similar fit to me.

If I had to pick one I would lean towards the Kenai for the comfort, pit zips and quietness. Good luck
I currently have the hoody and the jacket. I absolutely love my hoody as it replaced any grid fleece I had. The Jacket I'm torn on as I've not been able to fully test it but I really would like pit zips. Would you say it's a toss up on warmth between the Kenai and Ambient Jacket? I also have the Aerolite and thinking of getting rid of it to just run the Kenai...as I've been hearing the aerolite and Ambient are similar for warmth

RAPTOR

WKR
I currently have the hoody and the jacket. I absolutely love my hoody as it replaced any grid fleece I had. The Jacket I'm torn on as I've not been able to fully test it but I really would like pit zips. Would you say it's a toss up on warmth between the Kenai and Ambient Jacket? I also have the Aerolite and thinking of getting rid of it to just run the Kenai...as I've been hearing the aerolite and Ambient are similar for warmth
Kenai is warmer for sure but the ambient moves moisture better. I have both, wear them both a ton. Think of the ambient as a grid fleece type layer that can shed some light precip. Kenai is more of a true insulation piece. I’ll wear the ambient late season for a hike in, then throw on my outer layer (Jetstream, stratus, kenai, etc) when I get to my stand.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Kenai is warmer for sure but the ambient moves moisture better. I have both, wear them both a ton. Think of the ambient as a grid fleece type layer that can shed some light precip. Kenai is more of a true insulation piece. I’ll wear the ambient late season for a hike in, then throw on my outer layer (Jetstream, stratus, kenai, etc) when I get to my stand.
Thanks for the input. I'll grab one in the new year hopefully on after season sale.

Hydro557

FNG
When do these companies typically do their after season sales? I'm after a couple different items.

Thejet

WKR
I love the ambient hoodie, slowly becoming my favorite piece. I have both the ambient and the kenia, at first glance and feel the kenai should be a lot warmer but I found that to not be the case in practice. The more I use them in the same conditions I keep finding myself reaching for the ambient on colder days.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
I love the ambient hoodie, slowly becoming my favorite piece. I have both the ambient and the kenia, at first glance and feel the kenai should be a lot warmer but I found that to not be the case in practice. The more I use them in the same conditions I keep finding myself reaching for the ambient on colder days.
Really? I have both the hoody and jacket. Never use the jacket as the hoody is amazing. But I don't have the kenai to compare to, I always run the kenai vest over the hoody and has taken me quite far

Thejet

WKR
I have the original kenai, not sure if the updated one is warmer or not but yes I would rather have the ambient over the kenai in a layering system.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
I have the original kenai, not sure if the updated one is warmer or not but yes I would rather have the ambient over the kenai in a layering system.
Well thank you for the info. I wanted to get the kenai and get rid of my ambient Jacket purely for the pit zips. But I'll keep it for now