Kuiu island AK

kbarnes

FNG
Didn't know where to post this, but I've had a boat around Ketchikan for around 13 yrs but have never been up around Kuiu island or Keku strait. Kinda looking for some local info about currents thru keku strait. Looks like the currents might change direction around Devils Elbow or there abouts. I'm taking the kids up to try to get a moose this fall and would appreciate any info on the do's and dont's for that area. looks like there are several decent spots to anchor. I'll be in a 68' boat with 6' draft. Thanks Kirk

Spent some time there chasing steelhead in the Spring. We always came from the Juneau side, not the Ketchikan side. Nothing dramatic that I can recall other than a pretty lumpy ride churned up from Dixon Entrance. We were in 65-75’ steel boats. We anchored at the entrance to Kadake Bay. Theres another one around the corner, Gill Harbor maybe? We were focused on fish not moose so no help with that. I fooled around in Rocky Pass with the jet skiff…probably a few trollers around that cut through there but it wouldn’t be me. Amazing country. Some of my favorite memories live down there.

Back