Kuiu Gila gear

Badseed

WKR
Has anyone tried this gear yet? It is supposed to be designed for high temps but I am curious to know how it differs from other light synthetic tops. Last year there were multiple 105 degree days during archery season and I am looking for ways to minimize the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wondering about the material, fit, and pic resistance, and how it compares to their Training Tech hoodie/shirt and Peloton 118 shirt. 92% poly and 8% spandex... I'll swing by the store this week and let you know.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
I'm wondering about the material, fit, and pic resistance, and how it compares to their Training Tech hoodie/shirt and Peloton 118 shirt. 92% poly and 8% spandex... I'll swing by the store this week and let you know.

Same questions here.

jfs82

WKR
I would buy multiple if they wouldve made this out of the tiburon material. Loose, fit, longer, hooded tiburon has been an ask of mine for a while. ( I still may get one of these

STL

FNG
I wonder how it’ll compare to the sitka core lightweight.

Kinda interesting that they used spandex, which I always thought not using it was a selling point of theirs, and the anti odor treatment is listed generically instead of toray.

I’m planning to get one but I need another sale or free shipping to push me over the edge. Looking forward to the reviews here. Love my tiburon

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
Curious to know more of this fabric, and where it comes from. "Cool-Touch Fabric Technology".. is this some sort of Toray fabric much like kuiu's other clothing/catalog.. or a cheaper alternative?

IMO - it seems like kuiu is using cheaper fabrics and charging premium prices with the Gila clothing line.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
Curious to know more of this fabric, and where it comes from. "Cool-Touch Fabric Technology".. is this some sort of Toray fabric much like kuiu's other clothing/catalog.. or a cheaper alternative?

IMO - it seems like kuiu is using cheaper fabrics and charging premium prices with the Gila clothing line.

Thats exactly what I was wondering when I saw the price point.

TheTone

WKR
Curious to hear someone’s thoughts when they get one. I’m seriously considering the hooded one for hiking and fishing. Personally I thought the price seemed pretty reasonable compared with similar items

Poser

WKR
At $69, the sun hoodies is cheaper than comparable offerings from BD, OR & Arc’terx. That being said, the vented armpits on the BD Alpenglow Pro hoodie is hard to beat. I may try one of these Kuiu hoodies though -I wear these all summer for everything out in the sun.

I might have to pick up a hoody... always wished they made a Peloton 118 hoody.

Wonder why the spandex when they always seemed to be anti spandex

Just got my khaki Gila hoodie and gaiter. They were sitting in my mail box in the sun; about 100 today (nice spring day.

Since they were baking in the sun while in the mail box, they were initially hot to the touch when I opened the package. After a few moments (less than a minute actually), they did begin to feel cool to the touch.

The material feels similar to the Sitka Redline (athletic lineup). The material is significantly softer and smoother than the Enduro, Peloton 118 and Ultra Merino 125. It is smoother and thicker than the old Tiburon. It is closer to their Training Tech shirt but a bit softer and thicker.

I would not wear the Gila as a standalone item and I would not bust brush with it. I would wear the Enduro, Peloton, or the Ultra merino as a primary shirt. I would treat the Gila like insulation; wear it while stationary and remove it when it is time to move.

It is supposed to range from 113-117 degrees coming up so I should be able to do some casual testing.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
So do you think it has a use for hot weather or would you stick with a FL wick or sitka instead? The gila is cheaper but it doesn’t sound like it has much or a purpose based on your initial thoughts.

So do you think it has a use for hot weather or would you stick with a FL wick or sitka instead? The gila is cheaper but it doesn’t sound like it has much or a purpose based on your initial thoughts.

No experience with First Light. While I do have some Sitka gear for waterfowl, nothing I have I'd want to wear while baking in the early season in AZ.

Think more like a Huk hoodie while fishing or the new Kryptek Sonora.

I'll test the Gila out while chasing black bear and scouting for Coues. I only plan on using this when 1) it is sunny and hot and 2) while glassing or waiting for an extended period of time for a shot on a target animal.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
I was really hoping the gila would fit the bill for triple digit days dealing with some brush and mosquitos.

Steadman

WKR
I'm supposed to get my hoodie on Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing how it stacks up to the first lite aerowool. The aerowool hoodie has been my favorite piece of clothing when it's hot. I'll post when I put it through it's paces

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
Received my order today. Here's my quick hit impressions:
  • Cut is much looser than they typical KUIU fit. I always size up in KUIU but if I wanted a more fitted hoodie, you'll stay at your size or even size down. The loose fit is in both the arms as well as the body of the shirt.
  • If you're familiar with the Brush Line Hoodie from UA (Iso-Chill) the cut and fabric are VERY similar. In fact, it feels like a lot of inspiration was taken from that hoodie
  • The hood is a looser and bigger cut over the Sitka Core Lightweight hoody. It doesn't hug your head but will provide a bit more shade with it's extra size.
  • The fabric is VERY thin. It won't hold up to much brush busting but that's not the intent.
  • The cool touch fabric is legitimate and does feel cool to the touch
  • The camo has a little sheen to the fabric but not enough to call it shiny. Nor do I think that it will create any problems in the field. It's just not as mat as you'd find with merino or their peloton line.
  • Stitching is consistent and looks robust.
  • Shirt breathes well (easy to test on a 105 degree plus day in AZ) but we'll see how durable it is. I expect it will be somewhere around the Sitka Core hoody but perhaps not as durable as some other lightweight warm weather options.
Overall, for the price, I think it's a decent buy. Seems to do what it says it will do and the quality is typical of KUIU. But I'll reserve the right to change my mind once I get it out in the field.