Kuiu down bags

duchntr

WKR
Without turning this into another Kuiu bash thread, there are tons of much better bag options at that price range.. $400-$600 will get you a bad ass bag..

Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends are the best. Period. Both Made in USA and have been around for a long time.

If you NEED something more water resistant there are lots of synthetic and downtek options. The Kifaru Slick bag and Marmot Plasma's are heavily tested by reliable companies.

If you want to go the lightweight/water resistant route, Enlightened Equipment is making excellent downtek quilts here in the USA.. I've owned 3 of them and have nothing but good things to say..

IMO, there is absolutely no advantages Kuiu has over it's competition and no reason to buy their bag.

So basically you've never tried one or any of the bags you've listed except for EE? EE makes quilts so that comparison doesn't work. Then you recommend Marmot which is also imported, the same issue you had with kuiu supposedly. I will agree that FF and WM make great bags but I have actually used and own said bags, have you? I would just say that you continuously knocking companies that you've never tried makes you sound like a moron. The op asked for anyones EXPERIENCE with kuiu bags.

jm1607

WKR
So basically you've never tried one or any of the bags you've listed except for EE? EE makes quilts so that comparison doesn't work. Then you recommend Marmot which is also imported, the same issue you had with kuiu supposedly. I will agree that FF and WM make great bags but I have actually used and own said bags, have you? I would just say that you continuously knocking companies that you've never tried makes you sound like a moron. The op asked for anyones EXPERIENCE with kuiu bags.

I've had 3 EE quilts, 2 WM bags, 1 slick bag, and currently have a custom made feathered friends. I've never had a Marmot bag but I mentioned them because it's so closely related to the Kuiu bag the op asked about.

I've unfortunately spent close to $2k on Kuiu gear in the past. I used them almost exclusively for over a year. I know more about them than most people, and what I know sucks.. I'm glad they are no longer a rokslide sponsor..

Before you sound dumb maybe you should ask if I've used any of the bags or Kuiu gear before assuming? And, is there a reason I can't recommend sleeping bags in a sleeping bag thread? :confused:

duchntr

WKR
I've had 3 EE quilts, 2 WM bags, 1 slick bag, and currently have a custom made feathered friends. I've never had a Marmot bag but I mentioned them because it's so closely related to the Kuiu bag the op asked about.

I've unfortunately spent close to $2k on Kuiu gear in the past. I used them almost exclusively for over a year. I know more about them than most people, and what I know sucks.. I'm glad they are no longer a rokslide sponsor..

Before you sound dumb maybe you should ask if I've used any of the bags or Kuiu gear before assuming? And, is there a reason I can't recommend sleeping bags in a sleeping bag thread? :confused:

Touche, just your previous posts sounded like a lot of bashing with little info or experience, we now know you've spent a lot of money on sleeping bags with an obvious biase against the manufacturer in question. I have not had much first hand experience with kuiu or they're bags and from my experience I would recommend something else if paying full retail, but again thats my opinion based on field use.

Wrench77

WKR
And, is there a reason I can't recommend sleeping bags in a sleeping bag thread? :confused:

The reason you shouldn't recommend different bags is because it does not help answer the op's original questions. It would be one thing to recommend other bags if in fact you personally had a bad experience with the Kuiu bags. But since you obviously have no experience with the Kuiu bag you shouldn't have commented on the thread at all. Why don't you start your own thread about everything you dislike about Kuiu then you and rest of the haters can have a little bitch fest together.

jm1607

WKR
Touche, just your previous posts sounded like a lot of bashing with little info or experience, we now know you've spent a lot of money on sleeping bags with an obvious biase against the manufacturer in question. I have not had much first hand experience with kuiu or they're bags and from my experience I would recommend something else if paying full retail, but again thats my opinion based on field use.

In all seriousness and putting my personal feelings about their character and their business problems aside, I think Kuiu makes great clothes. Are they the best? That's debatable. I personally don't think so, but others do and I can see their side. I feel that Kuiu is a few years behind First Lite in technology, but again that's just me. I also feel that Apple is about 3-4 years behind Samsung/Android, but Apple lovers would want to stone me if I told them that.

As far as their other gear goes, I think they fall considerably short. Their tent and sleeping bags were obvious rip offs, that's just fact. The companies that built the originals put in many, many years of field testing and their product is very proven unlike Kuiu's. Kuiu got really lucky that their leaking tents didn't kill someone.

The reason you shouldn't recommend different bags is because it does not help answer the op's original questions. It would be one thing to recommend other bags if in fact you personally had a bad experience with the Kuiu bags. But since you obviously have no experience with the Kuiu bag you shouldn't have commented on the thread at all. Why don't you start your own thread about everything you dislike about Kuiu then you and rest of the haters can have a little bitch fest together.

And you answered the op's question better with your post? :confused::rolleyes:

Last edited:
In all seriousness and putting my personal feelings about their character and their business problems aside, I think Kuiu makes great clothes. Are they the best? That's debatable. I personally don't think so, but others do and I can see their side. I feel that Kuiu is a few years behind First Lite in technology, but again that's just me. I also feel that Apple is about 3-4 years behind Samsung, but Apple lovers would want to stone me if I told them that.

As far as their other gear goes, I think they fall considerably short. Their tent and sleeping bags were obvious rip offs, that's just fact. The companies that built the originals put in many, many years of field testing and their product is very proven unlike Kuiu's. Kuiu got really lucky that their leaking tents didn't kill someone.

And you answered the op's question better with your post? :confused::rolleyes:

Talk about dumb..... kuiu and firstlite aren't technology companies they are textile sourcers with their own patterned camo pattern.... Toray and Cocona are technical textile companies...

To the OP IDFL Certification Means something in a sleep bag. At the end of the day a sleeping bag is textile and a fill. Textiles is a preference and the Fill weight is what keeps you warm wether it be synthetic or down.

Kuiu isn't a bad bag by any means. Money always gets higher the lower temp rating and less weight. I like my phantom 15 by Mountain Hardware

Knock offs now that's funny. Been to Cabela's lately...how many academy mcgaillen shirts you have? Don't let disdain cloud your judgement

Last edited:

idig4au

WKR
I strongly considered the Marmot plasma bag as well in my lightweight down sleeping bag research. If I recall, while the bags were similar in construction, the Kuiu bag offered a little more fill weight and a little more shoulder girth as well as compared to the Marmot bags. I seem to remember this when I did my research last year. I can say the Stunner Stretch material on the Kuiu bag is awesome as I'm a side sleeper in the fetal position and I felt less claustrophobic in the Kuiu bag verses other bags I have had in the past that were not as "stretchy". That was another selling point for me.

I can also confirm the bag is actually rated to the stated temperatures in accordance to the test result. As I mentioned in my previous post, I used this bag in some pretty extreme conditions, with temperatures well into the single digits if not cooler this past spring on a 3 week mountain hunt. It was cold enough where my boots froze rock solid inside the tent and needed to be put next to a fire to thaw them enough so my feet could go through the top and be put on. I was toasty warm with lightweight merino base layers and beanie on.

I also looked at WM bags with GWS fabric. Again my research showed that the GWS was harder to compress, heavier, and there were some complaints with breath-ability with the bags with this fabric. I was also concerned with lack of certified temperature rating with the WM bags. That is a selling point with me. I have several Kifaru slick bags, including the first generation with the size zip and this so called 20 degree bags is more like a 40 degree bag at most. The patrick smith temperature rating didn't work for me! After my experience with this bag, I will not buy a sleeping bag without certified temperature ratings, PERIOD. WM bags are no doubt high quality and generally perform great, but they don't meet my specific requirements that I deem are important to me.

Is the Kuiu down bag perfect? No. I have notice a bit of down losses in the main seams that seems to be more prevalent after multiple trips and compressing the bag for packing. I might look at using some seam sealer and see if it improves this aspect. Is this a show stopper for not recommending the bag. No.

I'm looking at getting either a 15 or 30 degree bag for warmer season hunts. I will pick up another Kuiu bag for this when they come on sale again. I am assuming this bag will perform as well as their 0 degree bag.

If looking for a bag, I can only recommend is to make a list of key factors that are selling points and the see what manufactures meet the requirements. If you find a manufacture that meets the majority of your needs, then you probably have a contender. There are a lot of "subject matter experts" on all kinds of topics on the internet these days, so take those with a grain of salt. A few people on this forum like to bash Kuiu for the sake of bashing Kuiu and they probably have their reasons. Great, that is their decision. However, it doesn't alter my decision if my research says Kuiu make a better product for my needs than verses another manufacture. I don't have brand loyalty and will choose any manufacture regardless of business practices, that will improve my success in the field. I'm kind of a mercenary when it comes to that....

jm1607

WKR
Talk about dumb..... kuiu and firstlite aren't technology companies they are textile sourcers with their own patterned camo pattern.... Toray and Cocona are technical textile companies...

To the OP IDFL Certification Means something in a sleep bag. At the end of the day a sleeping bag is textile and a fill. Textiles is a preference and the Fill weight is what keeps you warm wether it be synthetic or down.

Kuiu isn't a bad bag by any means. Money always gets higher the lower temp rating and less weight. I like my phantom 15 by Mountain Hardware

Knock offs now that's funny. Been to Cabela's lately...how many academy mcgaillen shirts you have? Don't let disdain cloud your judgement

I have no idea what you just said.

We get it dude, you love Kuiu. You're probably sitting in head to toe verde, looking at your verde dipped monitor as you type this right?

Is this you in line for the new Kuiu gear? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJafiCKliA8

I don't have brand loyalty and will choose any manufacture regardless of business practices, that will improve my success in the field. I'm kind of a mercenary when it comes to that....

I guess I'm the opposite. I don't have brand loyalty. I've shot 3 different bows in the last 4 years.

I do however take both business practices, country of origin, and political affiliations into huge consideration before buying anything. Even non-hunting related purchases.

Last edited:

We get it dude, you love Kuiu. You're probably sitting in head to toe verde, looking at your verde dipped monitor as you type this right?

Is this you in line for the new Kuiu gear? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJafiCKliA8

I guess I'm the opposite. I don't have brand loyalty. I've shot 3 different bows in the last 4 years.

I do however take both business practices, country of origin, and political affiliations into huge consideration before buying anything. Even non-hunting related purchases.

Good for you

Now that's funny coming from a guy that just said he bought $2k in kuiu gear, and tossed it.

Iron Mike

FNG
I strongly considered the Marmot plasma bag as well in my lightweight down sleeping bag research. If I recall, while the bags were similar in construction, the Kuiu bag offered a little more fill weight and a little more shoulder girth as well as compared to the Marmot bags. I seem to remember this when I did my research last year. I can say the Stunner Stretch material on the Kuiu bag is awesome as I'm a side sleeper in the fetal position and I felt less claustrophobic in the Kuiu bag verses other bags I have had in the past that were not as "stretchy". That was another selling point for me.

I can also confirm the bag is actually rated to the stated temperatures in accordance to the test result. As I mentioned in my previous post, I used this bag in some pretty extreme conditions, with temperatures well into the single digits if not cooler this past spring on a 3 week mountain hunt. It was cold enough where my boots froze rock solid inside the tent and needed to be put next to a fire to thaw them enough so my feet could go through the top and be put on. I was toasty warm with lightweight merino base layers and beanie on.

I also looked at WM bags with GWS fabric. Again my research showed that the GWS was harder to compress, heavier, and there were some complaints with breath-ability with the bags with this fabric. I was also concerned with lack of certified temperature rating with the WM bags. That is a selling point with me. I have several Kifaru slick bags, including the first generation with the size zip and this so called 20 degree bags is more like a 40 degree bag at most. The patrick smith temperature rating didn't work for me! After my experience with this bag, I will not buy a sleeping bag without certified temperature ratings, PERIOD. WM bags are no doubt high quality and generally perform great, but they don't meet my specific requirements that I deem are important to me.

Is the Kuiu down bag perfect? No. I have notice a bit of down losses in the main seams that seems to be more prevalent after multiple trips and compressing the bag for packing. I might look at using some seam sealer and see if it improves this aspect. Is this a show stopper for not recommending the bag. No.

I'm looking at getting either a 15 or 30 degree bag for warmer season hunts. I will pick up another Kuiu bag for this when they come on sale again. I am assuming this bag will perform as well as their 0 degree bag.

If looking for a bag, I can only recommend is to make a list of key factors that are selling points and the see what manufactures meet the requirements. If you find a manufacture that meets the majority of your needs, then you probably have a contender. There are a lot of "subject matter experts" on all kinds of topics on the internet these days, so take those with a grain of salt. A few people on this forum like to bash Kuiu for the sake of bashing Kuiu and they probably have their reasons. Great, that is their decision. However, it doesn't alter my decision if my research says Kuiu make a better product for my needs than verses another manufacture. I don't have brand loyalty and will choose any manufacture regardless of business practices, that will improve my success in the field. I'm kind of a mercenary when it comes to that....

Thanks for replying to the original question idig4au!
BTW - Im wondering too how this ended up on the pack thread.

I got a Kuiu 15 degree Superdown bag as a gift in mid-2014. It's been on 4 sheep hunts in northern BC and so far I will say that I have had no issues with it. It is comfortable, probably as warm as the rating indicates, stuffs "down" small, etc. I do like it better than my Mt Hardware UltraLamina 15 degree bag as it is a bit bigger around and/or stretchier making it more comfortable. So far I have not had moisture issues at all, and that includes several real rainy/foggy days weathered in this past fall. The only negative I have is that it weighs 2#7oz on my electronic scale, well above the advertised sub 2# weight Kuiu advertises. This includes the stuff sack. Anyway, for a "free" bag, I really like it and have grown to trust the Superdown sleeping bag in wet weather, although I do keep it dry when packing in the rain, etc. If I were buying it with my money, I'd look at all the options available, but certainly it is an excellent piece of gear I have no problem recommending.

Last edited: