Kuiu down bags

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
Ok kuiu's sleeping bags have been on the market for sometime now. Looking for any and all info on them. How do they pack? How do they sleep? Looking to replace my lost ranger for the kuiu 15 thanks fellas!

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
I have the kuiu 15 degree and have used it for two seasons. It's very light and packs down small with the sea to summit EVent compression sack. I sleep warm so it might not be the best comparison but I've slept in weather down to the high teens in it without getting cold or wearing anything other than a tee shirt and boxers. I do use a sea to summit silk liner though. I don't know the background with kuiu bag design or anything like that but I think it's an excellent bag.

mauidiver

WKR
Good to hear. Been looking for a nice packable bag, probably around the 30° arena. More then I wanted to spend, but headed to REI in the morning. Thanks for your input.

deadwolf

WKR
I don't have one so this info is second hand from a guide friend. He had an abnormal amount of condensation build up inside his KUIU bag on this years sheep hunt. Had it been on the outside I would've guessed that it came from the tent, that the tent was the culprit. But since it was inside and working its way out...I dunno

idig4au

WKR
I have the 0 degree bag and put it to the test in some extremely cold conditions as well as significant rain/snow/spindrift this year. Performed flawlessly. I have no doubts that this bag is a keeper. I am going to pick up another one with a warmer temperature rating this winter.

mauidiver

WKR
I don't have one so this info is second hand from a guide friend. He had an abnormal amount of condensation build up inside his KUIU bag on this years sheep hunt. Had it been on the outside I would've guessed that it came from the tent, that the tent was the culprit. But since it was inside and working its way out...I dunno

That's strange!! He only thing I can think of is maybe when that bag was sewn together they got the materiel inside out maybe? I could see that causing what he experienced, and if that's the case how could he find out ? Interesting

Just thought I'd post here that KUIU has a 30% off sale Nov 19-22. I might be doing some Christmas shopping for myself as I bought some of their stuff last year and really like it.

jm1607

WKR
You can get a Marmot Plasma (which is the bag Kuiu ripped off) at Campmor for 20% off right now.. Will come out cheaper than Kuiu at 30% off..

It has a higher fill weight, is lighter, cheaper and better tested..

Iron Mike

FNG
I will get on the FNG site and intro myself but I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a good bag and have been looking at both the Marmot Plasma and the KUIU. Both are awesome bags. I have been trolling on this site for a while and do see the resident KUIU haters here - I do not have a problem with that to each his own but I have some of their stuff along with other brands and have so far been happy with their quality but not so much with inventory! I do own a Mountain Hardware 30 degree bag now I like but want something a little better and with a 15 degree rating. If my math that the Nun's beat into me over 45 years ago is correct then jm1607 numbers are not quite right. I have not confirmed the 30% off for the KUIU but if it thats true here is what I come up with. If the discount for KUIU is good thats the route I am going but if not I am grabbing the Marmot.
15 degree bag w/discount regular size 20% off for Marmot - 30% off for KUIU
Marmot - $416.00 KUIU - $406
Fill weight -17.64 oz - 19oz
Total weight -1lb14.2 oz - 1lb 14.7 oz

30 degree

Marmot - $351.00 KUIU - $270
Fill weight -10.41 oz - 11.65 oz
Total weight- 1lb 6.44 oz - 1lb 7.5 oz

mauidiver

WKR
I like your comparison numbers. Thanks for doing that. KUIU specializes in clothes, and I have the attack pants and wanting the 240 pelotin hoody, or zip-T, just not sure yet. Everyone knows they are a seasonal company....Period!! It's hunting season now and they have most of their line now. But after this sale...bye bye till next season. They will be washed out clean. I have always stuck with their close line and feel they used us as their Guinea pigs for backpacks, round one of tents and sleeping bags etc. they changed and "updated" everything and tons of people were left with a product that was so-so. The sleeping bags look really nice, but how long have they been making them? We're they, or are they a high selling product? I doubt it!! They are expensive for a company's first go at bags. Even with 30% off they are still high for a new company. I would really love to try one though. So when you get your bag, reply back with a review..would be great. Thanks

I have been trolling on this site for a while and do see the resident KUIU haters here - I do not have a problem with that to each his own but I have some of their stuff along with other brands and have so far been happy with their quality but not so much with inventory!

I agree with your assessment and had the same impression when I first started here. I have bought quite a bit Kuiu stuff myself and it just hasn't worked out for me so I'm very hesitant to lose money trying something else. While their clothing is quality, the fit is all over the place and there is a high probability you are going to have to return for a different size or not at all. I am sick of losing $15 in shipping costs each direction for poorly sized clothing (athletic fit apparently means chicken legs to these guys).

As far as Kuiu as a company, I take a huge issue with the fact that they are obviously copying other companies designs. The sleeping bag is quite obviously a plasma rip-off with different materials and 850fp instead of 900. The pack is a poorly done SG rip off with terrible understanding of how carbon fiber works. Lastly, the tents are very obviously Big Sky ripoffs: so much so that the owner eventually had to come on here and clarify that they don't make the tents for them and Jason and crew blatantly copied the design. I think innovation stems from improving on other's ideas and will give credit where it's due, but on these 3 things there were no improvements made (other than their questionable claims of better materials: tents should probably be waterproof).

In the end, I will probably still have a few Kuiu items in my setup because they are the best to fit my needs but I am very hesitant to give them my business.

jm1607

WKR
Without turning this into another Kuiu bash thread, there are tons of much better bag options at that price range.. $400-$600 will get you a bad ass bag..

Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends are the best. Period. Both Made in USA and have been around for a long time.

If you NEED something more water resistant there are lots of synthetic and downtek options. The Kifaru Slick bag and Marmot Plasma's are heavily tested by reliable companies.

If you want to go the lightweight/water resistant route, Enlightened Equipment is making excellent downtek quilts here in the USA.. I've owned 3 of them and have nothing but good things to say..

IMO, there is absolutely no advantages Kuiu has over it's competition and no reason to buy their bag.

Weekender

WKR
I haven't seen any complains about it from people who actually used the product. Of course that doesn't seem to matter here.

People on here really seem to hate KUIU? I was looking at their 15 degree bag. It looks like a great bag to me?

It was a great product when Marmot created it. That's the point. I haven't heard anyone who has it say that they don't like it and I almost got one myself, but should we really be rewarding them for stealing other people's designs and just using their own materials? I used to get the same impression, there is a lot of hate towards Kuiu on this site and it is so strong that it is hard to take at face value sometimes. If you can get past the initial onslaught on blind hatred there are legitimate reasons for it and logical arguments against some, not all, of their products (primarily non-clothing).

Last edited:

jm1607

WKR
People on here really seem to hate KUIU? I was looking at their 15 degree bag. It looks like a great bag to me?

It probably is an ok bag, I've never used one. I stopped buying Kuiu stuff when I received my order and all my clothes said made in China on them when on their website it clearly said made in North America. When I called them they still said it was made in NA :confused: I made a post on their forum asking about this and it got deleted :confused: Then I called them and asked why my post got deleted and they said they don't delete any posts :confused: Wasn't till weeks later they announced their move to China. Weeks after that they blamed post deleting on some intern or something...

Politics and d-baginess aside, I just don't see why you wouldn't want a better bag for the same price instead? :confused: If you get a WM or FF it's buy once cry once..

I haven't seen any complains about it from people who actually used the product. Of course that doesn't seem to matter here.

I don't hate Kuiu but I don't like them at all. Reading through my last couple posts I didn't bash them once, just offered better alternatives.

Last edited:

Weekender

WKR
It probably is an ok bag, I've never used one. I stopped buying Kuiu stuff when I received my order and all my clothes said made in China on them when on their website it clearly said made in North America. When I called them they still said it was made in NA :confused: I made a post on their forum asking about this and it got deleted :confused: Then I called them and asked why my post got deleted and they said they don't delete any posts :confused: Wasn't till weeks later they announced their move to China. Weeks after that they blamed post deleting on some intern or something...

Politics and d-baginess aside, I just don't see why you wouldn't want a better bag for the same price instead? :confused: If you get a WM or FF it's buy once cry once..

I don't hate Kuiu but I don't like them at all. Reading through my last couple posts I didn't bash them once, just offered better alternatives.

Hmmm... Never tried one but yet can offer a better alternative. Save your time with your great advice it's not helpful.

jm1607

WKR
Hmmm... Never tried one but yet can offer a better alternative. Save your time with your great advice it's not helpful.

Sorry...

What I meant was Kuiu bags are the most creative and best bags ever! They have to be better than bags from companies that have been around for over 30 years! Don't look at any other bags, only Kuiu! #Kuiufan4life

Weekender

WKR
Sorry...

What I meant was Kuiu bags are the most creative and best bags ever! They have to be better than bags from companies that have been around for over 30 years! Don't look at any other bags, only Kuiu! #Kuiufan4life

That's more the spirit now your getting it.