Kuiu clothing choices for stand hunting

Im looking into updating my current clothing system with Kuiu or similar, particularly mid layer pants and shirt, along with gloves.

But I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out exactly how to rate their models in regards to warmth for the long, motionless stands (4 to 10 hours) that I do. They seem to be primarily focused on western spot and stalk as well as still hunting. So I was wondering if anyone else who are spending their time in tree stands and on the ground have any experience with them?

I hunt a gambit of temperatures from about 60F to about 5F with most of my time spent in the 50 to 30 from October to mid November and 40 to 15 from thereon till the end of December.

I'm interested in Kuiu particularly because it sounds like it would actually fit me, I'm 5 11 and 165 lbs and am swimming in near everything. Also I tend to get overheated on my walks in and usually go in light and put on layers on stand, but im really trying to minimize this so I don't waste so much time getting dressed in stand. So a garments ability to manage heat and be quiet and durable are important to me. Not a big First Lite fan though after learning they won't repair clothing like kuiu, sitka or badlands

Last edited:
Peleton 200, 240, or the strong fleeces would be good mid-layer tops. I share time about 50/50 between the Peleton 200 and Swazi hood.

For bottoms I have 3 setups depending on temp. Pants, pants with midweight merino base layers, and base layers with bibs. Attack pants would be good all around hunting pants and I wear them if I know I'm not going to be pushing real nasty brush. For the real nasty stuff I usually wear a pair of upland pants. I've always been tempted to get something like the Kuiu pro pants with knee pads, not sure how much I'd use it and wish they had something with a waterproof ass like the Sitka timberline but every year I still consider getting some, just haven't yet.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

OMB

WKR
Peloton 200 is a good mid layer or standalone piece for earlier in the season when the temps are in the 60's. Once the temps start dropping, I've really liked the Strong Fleece 260 hoodie, and the Guide pants with long underwear underneath. Kenai jacket for an outer layer, interested to try the Kenai pants to wear as a bottom outer layer for cooler temps. Once it gets really cold for the later gun seasons, I switch over to Super Down Pro top and bottom because I'm not as concerned about quiet movement. YMMV

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I have a love hate relationship with Kuiu. Before ranting let me answer your question. The following is starting at my undermost layer moving to the outer. This is what I wear, and the order I wear it in, down to the teens. I mix and match as needed for warmer temperatures. Of course I have miscellaneous hats, gloves, etc. not listed.

Tops
Bottoms
For this season I added Kuiu Attacks and the Kuiu Chugach Rain Gear Set to my loadout. Haven't used them in the field yet so I'll have to find where they'll fall. I'm excited about the Chugach set because waterproof gear doubles as a wind-blocker. All us stand guys know that temperature isn't the first thing that'll cut your day short... it's the wind. Right now my only wind-blocker is my BassPro late season jacket/bibs but they are for frigid temps. The Chugach should aid in wind-blocking when the temps are too warm for frigid gear.

Now for my rant.

I like Kuiu for it's price, camo pattern, quality of the clothing (no issues yet), and functionality of the clothing. What I don't like is the fitment - which is unfortunate because clothes are made to be WORN. I'm 5'8" / 185 lbs / 36" waist and I wear a large in Kuiu. The only part that fits perfectly is the sleeve length. For tops (and this applies to shirts, hoodies, jackets, all of it) the chest area is too loose and it's too tight around my belly. So if I sized up to fix the belly my chest would be even looser and vice versa. Top length is too short as well. My Peloton 240 and Kenai for example... if I lift my arms my belly shows LOL. For pants, they're several inches too long (for me). I can get my Attacks hemmed but I can't get the Chugach hemmed (I assume) since it has a zipper running all the way down the leg. My body type is athletic (I lift weights) but I'm approaching Dad-bod territory. Kuiu is not made to fit me. IMO Kuiu is made to fit the marathon runner body type up to people who are athletically proportionate. So if I dropped my dad-belly and got my body fat down from 26% to 10% I'm sure Kuiu would fit me great (except for pant length). But that's not realistic. I'm just not that person.

So if I'm unhappy with the fit, why do I continue to buy more Kuiu you ask? Well I'm relatively new to hunting. This coming season is my 4th. I started out wearing Walmart clothing and could never get warm in late season so I thought buying clothing from a "top brand" would make me warm. I didn't have an understanding of active hunting versus stand hunting and what type of clothing to get. I have no mentor. I bought the wrong type of clothing. And I figured since I wasn't warm I needed more. Also I'm a fanboy. I got sucked into the brand... the videos, free giveaways, the "live talk events", I even won a free Peloton 240 hoody from one of their contests. I also had hoped that by keeping and continuing to get the clothing it would be motivation to work on my body more so that it would fit better. But here we are. I wish Kuiu fit me the way my Under Armour gym gear fit, or the way my $15 Walmart Realtree shirt fit. So I made an expensive mistake. I've put $1,300 into Kuiu gear (including some accessories) and I'm sitting here complaining that I don't like it.

The other thing I don't like about Kuiu is how many layers I have to wear to be warm. Now I know as you do... Kuiu is designed for active-mountain-hunting with short periods of glassing. But like I said I was naïve and bought into it as a stand hunter on the East Coast. I mean sure, I'm "active" in the sense that on public land I will hike in miles on public land - Kuiu serves it's purpose there, but when I'm in the stand and it's cold, ugh. If I had gone with First Lite or Sitka instead I could be wearing less layers and be WARMER, while being stationary in the stand (Sanctuary or Fanatic).

Apologies for turning your simple question into a therapy session.

I have a love hate relationship with Kuiu. Before ranting let me answer your question. The following is starting at my undermost layer moving to the outer. This is what I wear, and the order I wear it in, down to the teens. I mix and match as needed for warmer temperatures. Of course I have miscellaneous hats, gloves, etc. not listed.

Tops
Bottoms
For this season I added Kuiu Attacks and the Kuiu Chugach Rain Gear Set to my loadout. Haven't used them in the field yet so I'll have to find where they'll fall. I'm excited about the Chugach set because waterproof gear doubles as a wind-blocker. All us stand guys know that temperature isn't the first thing that'll cut your day short... it's the wind. Right now my only wind-blocker is my BassPro late season jacket/bibs but they are for frigid temps. The Chugach should aid in wind-blocking when the temps are too warm for frigid gear.

Now for my rant.

I like Kuiu for it's price, camo pattern, quality of the clothing (no issues yet), and functionality of the clothing. What I don't like is the fitment - which is unfortunate because clothes are made to be WORN. I'm 5'8" / 185 lbs / 36" waist and I wear a large in Kuiu. The only part that fits perfectly is the sleeve length. For tops (and this applies to shirts, hoodies, jackets, all of it) the chest area is too loose and it's too tight around my belly. So if I sized up to fix the belly my chest would be even looser and vice versa. Top length is too short as well. My Peloton 240 and Kenai for example... if I lift my arms my belly shows LOL. For pants, they're several inches too long (for me). I can get my Attacks hemmed but I can't get the Chugach hemmed (I assume) since it has a zipper running all the way down the leg. My body type is athletic (I lift weights) but I'm approaching Dad-bod territory. Kuiu is not made to fit me. IMO Kuiu is made to fit the marathon runner body type up to people who are athletically proportionate. So if I dropped my dad-belly and got my body fat down from 26% to 10% I'm sure Kuiu would fit me great (except for pant length). But that's not realistic. I'm just not that person.

So if I'm unhappy with the fit, why do I continue to buy more Kuiu you ask? Well I'm relatively new to hunting. This coming season is my 4th. I started out wearing Walmart clothing and could never get warm in late season so I thought buying clothing from a "top brand" would make me warm. I didn't have an understanding of active hunting versus stand hunting and what type of clothing to get. I have no mentor. I bought the wrong type of clothing. And I figured since I wasn't warm I needed more. Also I'm a fanboy. I got sucked into the brand... the videos, free giveaways, the "live talk events", I even won a free Peloton 240 hoody from one of their contests. I also had hoped that by keeping and continuing to get the clothing it would be motivation to work on my body more so that it would fit better. But here we are. I wish Kuiu fit me the way my Under Armour gym gear fit, or the way my $15 Walmart Realtree shirt fit. So I made an expensive mistake. I've put $1,300 into Kuiu gear (including some accessories) and I'm sitting here complaining that I don't like it.

The other thing I don't like about Kuiu is how many layers I have to wear to be warm. Now I know as you do... Kuiu is designed for active-mountain-hunting with short periods of glassing. But like I said I was naïve and bought into it as a stand hunter on the East Coast. I mean sure, I'm "active" in the sense that on public land I will hike in miles on public land - Kuiu serves it's purpose there, but when I'm in the stand and it's cold, ugh. If I had gone with First Lite or Sitka instead I could be wearing less layers and be WARMER, while being stationary in the stand (Sanctuary or Fanatic).

KUIU: the best belly shirts in hunting.

In all seriousness though a midlayer is a midlayer is a midlayer and I do love some KUIU. In my mind a good set of bibs is the optics of the whitetail game. Meaning, get a second mortgage to get the best pair of bibs you can before you dump serious money into anything else.

*Iowa resident and bow hunt N WI yearly so if you live in Alabama ignore me.

OP
C

Tops
Bottoms

Now for my rant.

Don't apologize! I appreciate the input! And the biggest reason I'm gravitating to kuiu is the fit. I'm 5'10" 165 lbs, 30-31 inch waist, and I cant find anything that fits enough to keep me warm. My biggest problem is working up a sweat on my way in and out. And if I get a little wet, I'm cold. So I go in light, and then get dressed on stand. But if I get dressed too fast, then you get clammy. I find im spending all of my time changing clothes now instead of staying still! And don't even get me started on footwear!

I spend long stints getting to my stands in the dark as quietly as possible, often upwards of an hour each way and I hunt heavy cover, most of my deer are shot at 8 yards and under, and I play the wind but in my areas its just plain not that simple. Minimizing my imprint is important to me, not like scent blocker, ozone generator crazy, but I don't want to be able to smell myself.

But yeah, I read what kuiu suggests for their clothing and I look at it and think....nahh I'd be freezing in that

OP
C
KUIU: the best belly shirts in hunting.

In all seriousness though a midlayer is a midlayer is a midlayer and I do love some KUIU. In my mind a good set of bibs is the optics of the whitetail game. Meaning, get a second mortgage to get the best pair of bibs you can before you dump serious money into anything else.

*Iowa resident and bow hunt N WI yearly so if you live in Alabama ignore me.

I haaaaateee bibs...fugggin hate them. A jumpsuit I can deal with, bibs? Not again. They are a pain to put on, the strangle me when im on stand I get all clammy i them if I put them on too quick and lose easy access to everything in my pants pockets and need to take off my jacket to put on my pants. Sorry I've hunted in bibs for too long haha. Also they are bigger to pack in that a set of pants ( I use USAF Extreme Cold pants, they work okay)

OP
C
Peleton 200, 240, or the strong fleeces would be good mid-layer tops. I share time about 50/50 between the Peleton 200 and Swazi hood.

For bottoms I have 3 setups depending on temp. Pants, pants with midweight merino base layers, and base layers with bibs. Attack pants would be good all around hunting pants and I wear them if I know I'm not going to be pushing real nasty brush. For the real nasty stuff I usually wear a pair of upland pants. I've always been tempted to get something like the Kuiu pro pants with knee pads, not sure how much I'd use it and wish they had something with a waterproof ass like the Sitka timberline but every year I still consider getting some, just haven't yet.

I'm there will you on the waterproof ads but I also wonder how breathable it would be back there. You ever get that winter swamp ass front sitting too long? I think people often misidentify it with sitting in something wet

j33

WKR
Buy a cheap/thick fleece elsewhere. Peloton 240 is money on blocking wind, but not made for bashing against branches. I have a little experience with the Strongfleece 210, good for more active hunting (more breathable), bashing through trees, a little DWR but it isn't as warm to me and the hybrid insulation is not what you want for stand hunting (the pass kangoroo pocket on the 210/260 is awesome). Maybe the 260 or 280 is a better fit for you.

The size zips are money for when you're walking in with their pants to reduce sweating along with keeping all the pockets open to help even more.

Pet peeve: folks not giving all applicable information when asking for guidance whether accidentally or purposely. There’s a huge difference between sitting on a stand in 40 degree temperatures versus -10 degree temperatures.

Kuiu is not the route to take for sitting in a tree stand in colder temperatures. There are far better solutions out there (ex: Sitka’s late season system). But since you insist on Kuiu…

Temperature #1 (adjust as necessary)
* Attacks, Peloton 97 base layer
* Ultra Merino 145, Peloton 200 or StrongFleece 260, Peloton 240
* StrongFleece 220 gloves

Temperature #2 (adjust as necessary)
* Kutana Gale Force, Pro Merino 200, Super Down Pro
* Ultra Merino 145, Peloton 260, Super Down Pro, Kutana Gale Force
* StrongFleece 220 gloves, Super Down Glassing glommit

Kuiu is not the quietest gear so don’t be surprised if you spook some game due to noise.

*zap*

WKR
If your walking in carrying stuff kuiu has good options, 97 hoodie, zip on/off bottoms, hip vent pants. Heavy strong fleece or peloton for after you get to where your going and they have some good light but warm jackets for a mid layer also.

OP
C
Pet peeve: folks not giving all applicable information when asking for guidance whether accidentally or purposely. There’s a huge difference between sitting on a stand in 40 degree temperatures versus -10 degree temperatures.

Kuiu is not the route to take for sitting in a tree stand in colder temperatures. There are far better solutions out there (ex: Sitka’s late season system). But since you insist on Kuiu…

Temperature #1 (adjust as necessary)
* Attacks, Peloton 97 base layer
* Ultra Merino 145, Peloton 200 or StrongFleece 260, Peloton 240
* StrongFleece 220 gloves

Temperature #2 (adjust as necessary)
* Kutana Gale Force, Pro Merino 200, Super Down Pro
* Ultra Merino 145, Peloton 260, Super Down Pro, Kutana Gale Force
* StrongFleece 220 gloves, Super Down Glassing glommit

Kuiu is not the quietest gear so don’t be surprised if you spook some game due to noise.
My bad, post was getting long and wanted to see what everyone's general impressions were. Seemed like it would be less overwhelming and get more opinions. I'm interested in Kuiu because of the fit, im 5 11 and 165 lbs. I have trouble finding hunting gear that I'm not swimming in. I go relatively long distances at times to get to my stands and am constantly fighting working up a sweat. So ventilation is important to me. Quietness is also relatively important. I'm also interested in Sitka and Badlands but am not the biggest fan of Firstlite after learned that they won't repair clothing like the first two mentioned. If you want to full gambit of temperatures I hunt from about 60F to about 5F with most of my time spent on the 50 to 30 from October to mid November and 40 to 15 from thereon till the end of December have different setups.

What would you recommend?

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
For tops, i can mix/match this combo and hunt from 60’s down
  • peloton 97
  • kenai or peloton 240
  • Axis

My bad, post was getting long and wanted to see what everyone's general impressions were. Seemed like it would be less overwhelming and get more opinions. I'm interested in Kuiu because of the fit, im 5 11 and 165 lbs. I have trouble finding hunting gear that I'm not swimming in. I go relatively long distances at times to get to my stands and am constantly fighting working up a sweat. So ventilation is important to me. Quietness is also relatively important. I'm also interested in Sitka and Badlands but am not the biggest fan of Firstlite after learned that they won't repair clothing like the first two mentioned. If you want to full gambit of temperatures I hunt from about 60F to about 5F with most of my time spent on the 50 to 30 from October to mid November and 40 to 15 from thereon till the end of December have different setups.

What would you recommend?
Layers will be your friend. Go in with minimal clothing and get dressed at the stand.

Potential list:
Pants: Attacks or Pros (Axis or Talus for late in the year)
Base Layer (bottoms): Peloton 97 or PRO Merino
Insulation (bottoms): ULTRA or PRO down (going to be noisy). Personally would go with PRO.
Base Layer (top): Merino 145
Mid Layer: Peloton 200, ProFleece 260, or ProFleece 280
Insulation (top): ULTRA or PRO down (going to be noisy). Personally would go with PRO.
Outer Layer (top): Peloton 240 or Axis (potentially better suited for late in the year)
Gloves: StrongFleece, Axis, Super Down Glassing Glommit

This will cover a sizable temperature range but may not be ideal for stand hunting. Noise control may very well be an issue as well especially as temperatures drop. The list does not account for rain or snow.

You can replace some pieces with other brands and save money or get better temperature range coverage.

Poser

WKR
I always find the Kuiu fit complaints odd. I’m 6 foot, Bodyweight fluctuates between 200 and 215 depending on the time of year. Athletic build, big shoulders, thick back. I wear a large. It fits me just fine, slightly tight in the arm pits but most clothes are. It’s inconceivable that guys who weigh 30 lbs less than me and are 2-3 inches shorter wear the same size. Only conclusion is that you have dad bods
Suck in those guys, boys.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I always find the Kuiu fit complaints odd. I’m 6 foot, Bodyweight fluctuates between 200 and 215 depending on the time of year. Athletic build, big shoulders, thick back. I wear a large. It fits me just fine, slightly tight in the arm pits but most clothes are. It’s inconceivable that guys who weigh 30 lbs less than me and are 2-3 inches shorter wear the same size. Only conclusion is that you have dad bods
Suck in those guys, boys.
I mean I literally said that I have dad bod. So it makes perfect sense that I can be 4" shorter than you and 15lbs less and have a large fit me differently.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
C
Layers will be your friend. Go in with minimal clothing and get dressed at the stand.

Potential list:
Pants: Attacks or Pros (Axis or Talus for late in the year)
Base Layer (bottoms): Peloton 97 or PRO Merino
Insulation (bottoms): ULTRA or PRO down (going to be noisy). Personally would go with PRO.
Base Layer (top): Merino 145
Mid Layer: Peloton 200, ProFleece 260, or ProFleece 280
Insulation (top): ULTRA or PRO down (going to be noisy). Personally would go with PRO.
Outer Layer (top): Peloton 240 or Axis (potentially better suited for late in the year)
Gloves: StrongFleece, Axis, Super Down Glassing Glommit

This will cover a sizable temperature range but may not be ideal for stand hunting. Noise control may very well be an issue as well especially as temperatures drop. The list does not account for rain or snow.

You can replace some pieces with other brands and save money or get better temperature range coverage.
I agree with you on the noise concern for the heavier semi-hard shell outerwear in Kuiu. Much noisier than my liking. I love Sitka's cold weather gear but damn...that price tag...

I agree with you on the noise concern for the heavier semi-hard shell outerwear in Kuiu. Much noisier than my liking. I love Sitka's cold weather gear but damn...that price tag...
Buying all at once is brutal. But there are several sites that you can get Sitka pieces on sale over time which takes a bit of the sting out.