Kuiu bird vest fall 2024

sndmn11

WKR
Kuiu is bringing one out this fall that has carbon fiber stays and a handful of other well thought out additions. I've used the final prototype several times this summer, and I believe it's worth considering for those in the market. There's a single picture of it on the back of the recent catalog.

dkell

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting… how much were you carrying that the carbon stays proved valuable?

TSAMP

WKR
If my math is correct, 260oz of water, a few quail and chukar, and several full boxes of 12ga 3" in the front designated pouches and underneath the birds in the back.
That seems appropriate, it looked like a behemoth on the catalog.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
I recycled that catalog without looking at it this morning. Anyone able to share an image of what this thing looks like?

pirogue

WKR
Sounds like more “bigger is better” Kuiu philosophy. Remember the original bino harness? The size L was perfect for Swaro EL 10X42. When they introduced the “Pro” harness, the size L swallowed the same binos and had enough room left over for a sandwich.

dkell

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure there will be a group of people where carbon stays are optimal for the way they hunt. I'm curious more than anything.. @sndmn11 are the shoulder straps padded (enough to make less than optimal gun mounts) ?

yfarm

WKR
I bought a Mothers strap vest off ebay, padded shoulder straps significantly affected my mounting and shot success, used one day and went back to my old vest.

dkell

Lil-Rokslider
That is the crux of bird vests and also why it is very obvious who actually hunts in the development team when a company releases a bird vest.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I'm sure there will be a group of people where carbon stays are optimal for the way they hunt. I'm curious more than anything.. @sndmn11 are the shoulder straps padded (enough to make less than optimal gun mounts) ?

At least not noticeably so, if they are at all. To be frank, I didn't have a shotgun in hand, nothing jumped out at me as obtrusive in that shoulder pocket area, and it wasn't top of mind as a priority to inspect.

The trainer that is helping me learn my brown puppy is one of the folks that worked through concept and prototypes with Kuiu. We were introduced by a couple mutual business folks and he knows I have worked in textiles and the hunting industry. He was curious my inexperienced bird dog guy but familiar with sewing opinion. I was enamored with how the waist belt felt and the idea of the stays, which is why we filled it with water and shells each time. Beyond that so far, I'm not bird hunting/dog/vest savvy enough to know if certain things are right/wrong.

I would say that @KickinNDishin has the Kuiu hip arrow quiver and is writing a review for Rokslide about it. 99% of it is very well thought out so I imagine this bird vest is equally as functional.

I'll be out with him next weekend and can check on the shoulder area. My understanding is that there will be a "coming soon" product page about that time as well.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
That is the crux of bird vests and also why it is very obvious who actually hunts in the development team when a company releases a bird vest.
One reason I've used my orvis upland sling pack for so long. No strap on my gun shoulder to get in the way.

Seubs070

FNG
If my math is correct, 260oz of water, a few quail and chukar, and several full boxes of 12ga 3" in the front designated pouches and underneath the birds in the back.
What are you hunting that your carrying several boxes of 3" shells?

TSAMP

WKR
Has anyone tried Kuiu's brush pants? Not super interested in the vest, but the pants look really nice.
I just got a pair, they fit big. No practical experience with them yet. I am a 32x31 generally. But the 34x34 kutanas fit me great. I did the same size for brush pants and find them much roomier so I'm downsizing.