Kuiu Bino Harness vs. Sitka

40tude

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for an unbiased opinion for choosing between the 2 of these. I am sure some of you have owned both.
Thanks

Romo

FNG
I recently received the Kuiu bino harness from Santa. Before that I was running Crooked Horn bino system. The Kuiu harness is a significant upgrade IMO.

I have used both for 1 hunting season each. I can tell you that they rank 3 and 4 in my list of bino harneses.

Sitka: Very nice looking package, nice harness, well made, offer full protection and much better protection than the kuiu from bumps and shock as well as dirt and rain/snow. The problems I had were that without removing the little elastic strap on the inside, i had to use 2 hands to put them in the pouch. Also, the magnets are not strong enough to keep the harness closed. The pouch was opening and annoying me constantly. Plus when you try to crawl the binos fall out and the pouch acts like a grader picking up a big giant scoop of snow or dirt. Also, if you do not zip them completely, ran and snow get in the top very easily. The zipper is NOT use friendly.

KUIU: Many have heard my rant on KUIU. It has a great following, and some people love it... my problem is that the one thing they left out makes the pouch almost unusable to me. The harness does not connect back to the pouch, thus unless you snug it very tight around your chest, when you take the binos out, it slides down and you have to use 2 hands to put it back. It looks great, i like that the lid folds away, the harness itself is very comfortable... but i cannot stand using it. My wife loves hers. Also, the fact that it is not water proof is dumb. Using the included little condom thing that slips over is an unnecessary step in my opinion.

My favorite right now is the FHF gear harness. Only downsides i have is that it is sort of loud material, and the lid opens the wrong way. A clsoe second (and will be first with an upcoming modification, is the BINO BRO by oregon pack works. It is the harness that KUIU tried to build by OPW got it right.... for about 1/3 the cost.

Joe

I have used both. The Sitka is ok. I'm not a big fan of the Sitka's flap that opens out. Combine this with a weak magnet, and it can flop open when belly crawling. Other than that it is a decent harness. I like the Kuiu's shoulder straps better, and it rides a little nicer than the Sitka. The Kuiu is also a little smaller and less bulky. Overall I think the Kuiu is a nicer system.

I have only experienced with the S4 ans the KUIU. Hated the S4, love the KUIU. I have had zero issues with the KUIU and it functions excellent for me in all my hunts and hikes.

Shrek

WKR
I think FHF has a different material option coming or available now. I think I read that in one of the show threads , maybe the sheep show ? I love my FHF Bino holder.

dotman

WKR
If you like the Kuiu style and function then I would look at the OPW bino bro pro. It is super quiet and slim. My favorite is the FHF but the bino bro pro will be my archery harness, no way I'll fully retire the FHF so it will be for rifle and muzzleloader seasons but IMO it isn't bad for archery either.

I haven't tried either of the Sitka or Kuiu harnesses. So many good options but none are prefect.

Think the FHF is going to be in FL new Fusion pattern.

I tried both and prefer the KUIU. Both have cons... the Sitka has more cons (there is no perfect bino harness in this world)

Cons on the Sitka one: The magnets suck on it, they never stay sealed shut. But it does flop shut when your glassing so that you have to reopen to get the binos back in. It does have a zipper but its not practical in the field (they are a pain to open and close). Its a tight enough fit for my compact binos that its annoying to get in and out of. It only comes in camo. Its heavier than the KUIU. Its overpriced.

Cons of the KUIU: Its missing a strap from the case to the harness, this requires the torso strap to be tighter than you want it (you will see complaints about this all over). The newest model has these stupid clips hanging of that bottom to serve as the stopper on the tension system, they get in the way and are really senseless.

I also ran the FHF for a while too and its sweet but it to me also has more cons that the KUIU. Opens the wrong way. Noisy. Heavier than the others. And less comfortable to me on the shoulders than the others.

Last edited:
IF you like the KUIU... take a serious look at the OPW bino bro pro. 1/3rd as expensive, more waterproof, better pockets, and better harness system compared to the kuiu.

Joe

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
I used the Sitka this season. some of my comments are the same. the thing I liked over a system like the kuiu is the binos are not attached to the straps so its quick to pull them out and put on a tripod instead of having to unclip the system. I don't like the elastic strap on the inside and have told myself to remove it multiple times but procrastinated. there is good protection for the binos and its more comfortable to wear than some of the other systems. the material is quiet as well. It's on the bulkier side but probably not much different than FHF or AGC.

I have yet to have a problem like some others mentioned. When the Binos are out of the case the case doesn't slide down on me. I like that the Binos are attached. I can glass and drop the Binos to take a shot.

I have wanted to try the OPW pro version.

My concern (other than not liking the color selection) is its lack of rigidity in the case part and also I like to be able to tether the binos to the case and they dont have that as part of the system for some reason.

I have wanted to try the OPW pro version.

My concern (other than not liking the color selection) is its lack of rigidity in the case part and also I like to be able to tether the binos to the case and they dont have that as part of the system for some reason.

ask them, they will put it on there i am sure, great guys.

As for rigidity, let me get back to you, I am playing with a fix that should work great.

joe