Kuiu 185/250 vs Firstlite

BuckSnort

WKR
I bought a Kuiu 185 beanie and neck gaitor..Seems like it is gonna be perfect for what I want it for (a little warmth for my shaved head while sleeping) now I wondering what tops and bottoms to buy... Are the Firstlites any thicker/warmer than the 185 Kuiu or 250? I'm thinking I want a little more warmth for my base layer than the 185.. Just wondering how the Firstlite Llano crew compares to the Kuiu 250 Zip T...?

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Just read that the Kuiu 250 is not recommended as a next to skin layer as it is a bit itchy.... So I guess my question is which is warmer Kuiu 185 crew or the Fistlite Llano?

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Thanks sreekers... I know it's hard to tell without having them in hand to compare but the Firstlite's seem like they might fit better, especially the bottoms... the Kuiu's look like they may be a bit baggy cut... All I know is I wish I would have bought stock in Merino sheep.... This stuff is damn expensive..

The llano is pretty thin, but I love it! It does exactly what it is supposed to do. I have a few of the tops and I wear them all the time. If you want warmer or heavier, I think you should wear the Llano and the Chama or the 185 and the 250 at the same time. Or just try out the Chama top from FL as it is a bit heavier and it does NOT itch when next to the skin.

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
Itchy

Ive worn out a pair of the lightest Smartwool long underwear and have loved wearing them, although I like the lightest capilene also as an against the skin layer. I got on the Kuiu craze lately, and here at the last minute before my sheep hunt ordered the 185 top and bottom. TOO ITCHY
I've got no axe to grind, definitely despise the wool vs syn Internet arguments. At this late hour, with the smartwools worn to shreds, I'm just going with the Capeline that I've already got.
Anybody want some Kuiu 185s in large?
Don

dotman

WKR
Don the first lite stuff is the best next to skin feel I think. I would recommend both the llano and chama.

None of the FL that I have worn, which is pretty much all of it, has never itched when next to the skin. Stuff like that would really irritate me.

JNDEER

WKR
Ive worn out a pair of the lightest Smartwool long underwear and have loved wearing them, although I like the lightest capilene also as an against the skin layer. I got on the Kuiu craze lately, and here at the last minute before my sheep hunt ordered the 185 top and bottom. TOO ITCHY
I've got no axe to grind, definitely despise the wool vs syn Internet arguments. At this late hour, with the smartwools worn to shreds, I'm just going with the Capeline that I've already got.
Anybody want some Kuiu 185s in large?
Don

Is it camo and how much?

I am interested.

Rizzy

WKR
I have all three and the firstlite is softer for me. The 250 is warmer, and the 185 is what I wear the majority of the time because its not as hot when hiking. The best value is the core4 from camofire, its just as soft as the firstlite, just as warm as the comparable firstlite and Kuiu weights and half the price as both.

bbrown

WKR
I have had the FL Llano top for a couple years and it has been great - perfect as the outer layer on hot days and a great base layer when the temps drop.
On the other hand I have been wanting to try the Kuiu camo so I just ordered a 185 top. I received it his afternoon and I like the camo and quarter zip - combine this with the Llano and I think I have my base and next to skin layers covered. I will report back when I get some more field time on the Kuiu piece.
Either way - I don't think you could go wrong with either

I have the 185 and 250 both and I don't find them to be itchy at all. I wear the 185 all day and layer with the 250 when needed. The guide vest goes over the top.

tstowater

WKR
After reading this thread, I tried on the 185 and 250 that I have. I have the 185 in camo and brindle and the 250 in camo. I would say the brindle was more comfortable to wear than the camo and the 185 more than the 250. I have First lites in boxer briefs only and fine them very comfortable. I wouldn't describe the 185/250 camo as itchy, but maybe a little "stiffer". Great stuff and won't think twice about wearing it.

swat8888

WKR
I just got the Kuiu 185 for Xmas, haven't washed it yet but it definitely seems to be stiffer, hence, itichier than my first lite. My first lite does have a more athletic type cut to it and the Kuiu is a bit baggier....I wear a large in both. I'm hoping the Kuiu is a little more durable as my first lite is getting torn up after only a few weeks in the field.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
My 185 has held up well despite all the negative stuff I have read about the 185 and durability. It is my 1st merino wool piece and I have since started a little merino collection. The only thing I have noticed is that it started "piling" I think is the term after only a couple washes. However I have had it since may or June and worn the crap out of it and have yet to have any holes or major damage done to it. And I used to wear it as an outer layer in the early season...

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have all four shirts. I prefer the feel of the First Lite. The Chama is thicker than the 250 IMO, the 185 and Llano seem to be about the same weight. I don't think you would go wrong with either brand.

2rocky

WKR
Just got the Chama for Christmas and I am happy with it. I have the Smartwool also and I'd say the Chama is thicker and tougher.

DWarcher

WKR
I've used both the FL Llano and Chama for the past two seasons and both feel great next to the skin...other than Smartwool I don't have any experience with any other brands. Durability has been great too...most likely because I keep 'em out of the dryer.