KU Packs Discontinued

Rizzy

WKR
I saw on the Kifaru site that they are discontinuing the KU3700 and KU5200:(
I'm glad I got mine already, what a shame. It was the best pack on the market IMO, easiest 3# I ever cut off my load out.

I am happy I grabbed a KU 3700 myself! The KU packs are just rediculous lightweight. My wife now claims that pack. Anyways my HC should be here in a few weeks.

slim9300

WKR
I have always wanted one just to have it, but I figured that I was better off buying a more versatile pack for my style of hunting. I wonder how many Kifaru sold last year since the advent of the Timberline?

Higbean

FNG
Every time I read KU, my brain thinks Kuiu. Sorry to hear they are getting rid of the line, but if it's not a big money maker it's not worth the time.

Hardstalk

WKR
You dont happen to have a few of the ku packs laying around like the windshirts do you aron?

Too bad . . .

My KU3700 is the best pack I've ever owned. I guess they are expensive for 2 1/2 pounds of material, but they are 2 1/2 pounds and will carry as much as your 4-7 pound packs folks!!!

I don't get it.

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
Too bad . . .

My KU3700 is the best pack I've ever owned. I guess they are expensive for 2 1/2 pounds of material, but they are 2 1/2 pounds and will carry as much as your 4-7 pound packs folks!!!

I don't get it.

Me either, It seemed like a no-brainer when I was in the market for a pack.

I've bought and sold several Kifaru packs, but I will NEVER sell my KU 3700! I will use it until it disintegrates completely... I should stop buying packs, because every time I do they are discontinued? Daystalker, gone. Siwash, finished. KU, cancelled. The G1 Late Season I have is a half the pack the Legacy version is... Bikini owners beware, I BOUGHT ONE!

Eagle

WKR
They need to offer a KU material bag for the bikini frame. You could have a serious hauler with an incredibly light bag attached to it. Wouldn't surprise me if this is already in the works and will be something we see next fall/winter right after everyone has had the bikini and highcamp/dt bags for a season.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've bought and sold several Kifaru packs, but I will NEVER sell my KU 3700! I will use it until it disintegrates completely... I should stop buying packs, because every time I do they are discontinued? Daystalker, gone. Siwash, finished. KU, cancelled. The G1 Late Season I have is a half the pack the Legacy version is... Bikini owners beware, I BOUGHT ONE!

Haha

You guys really need to read the original post over on KifaruForums.net. Patrick explains why he made the decision and how there are stil some KU packs left that can be purchased. Here is the URL for the thread, and it is already at three pages so there is some good information on it. No need to speculate/guess here about what and why when you can read the details there.

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=32785

You guys really need to read the original post over on KifaruForums.net. Patrick explains why he made the decision and how there are stil some KU packs left that can be purchased. Here is the URL for the thread, and it is already at three pages so there is some good information on it. No need to speculate/guess here about what and why when you can read the details there.

Larry, I'd hazard a guess most of us already read it. Low information backpackers purchased the pack, misused it, and then expected warranty service. Doesn't change the fact that KU packs were/are excellent packs and it's too bad Kifaru is discontinuing them. As a transactional attorney I understand the business decision perfectly, and am glad I already have one.

cmeier117

WKR
I understand why they are, but since everything is made to order and they make a ton of shelters and so on, why can't they just change the warranty on those packs? Even if they sell one a month, it seems that it would be worth it to see them still offer them, but I am sure the timberlines and the Highcamp will really out do the KU packs.

CrzyTrekker,

No offense taken, as I mentioned in my reply PM. It just looked like some folks hadn't read the original post. If they had, they would have known that Kifaru is keeping the KU pockets and that they still have enough "parts" to make a few more KU packs. It's a shame but a lot of times folks on forums read something and start commenting without reading the source material first.

Larry

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was sad to hear about this, but understand Patrick's decision. It is rare for a company to offer the high quality products and superiorlevel of customer service that Kifaru does....knowing how passionate they felt about the KU products, I am sure it was a difficult, if necessary decision.

My KU 5200 has totally exceeded my initial expectations, and I have no plans to ever replace it! Luke purchased it for me as a gift about 6 months after I broke my leg, when I was barely backpacking and i felt every pound. The 7 lb weight savings (over the MR pack I had been using) played a significant role in getting me back on the trail, and it has been on some amazing adventures the last several seasons. There are a few situations in which I choose another pack from our arsenal (packing moose quarters etc), but the KU will always be my favorite!

546955_10151504885753835_640784362_n.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

B9ED0A3F-7454-44AE-A2D0-FFC850A97798-4740-0000022DEE23A1B0_zps611f1a43.jpg

Last edited:

Foldem

WKR
I love my 5200 so much, I got one for my wife too. I was hoping they would expand the line into the 7000 ci area for adventure sheep hunts that I hope to draw someday, but with the ability to add modular pockets I can probably get it big enough to meet any of my needs.