Kryptek Koldo or Outdoor Research Maximus or?

UPnorth

FNG
I was out fishing recently and found that my trusty Marmot hardshell has reached the end of its life (it made it about 10 yrs, so I can't really complain). The seam taping at the base of hood is de-laminating and since I'm not a huge fan of water running down the back of my neck, I'm in the market for a replacement. I used my marmot for anything and everything, from summer backpacking to ice fishing to hunting.

The Kryptek Koldo has caught my attention. I briefly checked one out at Cabela's and liked the quieter fabric and elbow reinforcements. I wasn't overly impressed with the hood, but I didn't play with it too much. In the meantime, I have found OR's top of the line Gore-tex Pro Shell jacket, the Maximus, on sale for roughly the same price as the Koldo. I don't have anywhere to get my hands on it, but I feel pretty good about the OR brand and proven Gore-tex technology. I have no personal experience with Pro Shell as my Marmot was constructed with Membrain. I would expect the Pro Shell (with a heavy duty nylon face fabric) to be noisy, but it should be a good performer and a bit lighter than the Koldo.

I would be very interested to hear opinions on the Koldo from anyone who has put it through its paces and from Pro Shell users. What would you choose? Do you think I'm overlooking any other obvious choices in this price range? Thanks!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have used a pile of rain jackets up here in Alaska, from 3 layer $500 pro shells, Kuiu Chugach, a model from Sitka can't recall, and numerous mountaineering jackets, I am going on a 6 day black bear hunt in raining Prince William sound (leaving on Monday) and will be bringing my Koldo rain jacket along. Sure not the lightest on the market, but its built hell for stout and is impressive how dry it kept me in Prince of Wales Island last fall hunting deer down there.

Sure I will be trying out their lighter rain gear line from Kryptek the Posiden (have it on backorder from Cabelas), but when LOTS of rain and brush busting is on the docket the Koldo is what I will likely take.

Don't get me wrong I like and use quite a few OR products (dry sacks, gaiters, and hats) but the Kryptek Koldo is a sweet setup for sure.

Hope that helps.

OP
U

UPnorth

FNG
Thanks, Luke. That is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get. I decided to order the OR jacket since my size/color combo was in limited supply and the discount improved. For $185, I had to at least try it. If I don't like it when it arrives, I'll return it. In that case, it sounds like the Koldo is a great option and probably a good value. Do you have any complaints with the hood adjustment system? If I remember correctly, there is no shock cord in the lower half of the hood. Maybe it's not an issue.

Have a good hunt!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have any complaints with the hood adjustment system? If I remember correctly, there is no shock cord in the lower half of the hood. Maybe it's not an issue.

Have a good hunt!

Not sure if anything changed on hood design with this years model, (mine is the 2012) but I doubt it. My Koldo has shock cord on the inside of the hood, and it really cinches down nicely when the weather gets nasty. This is my jacket of choice when wet weather is expected, I just dug mine out of storage last week to get some exercise in during a downpour of sleet and rain.

3BB17CFB-8744-4954-A83A-E290782666A7-25154-00000E36D4122164_zps197e3e8b.jpg

I too will have my jacket and pants along tomorrow when we leave for our black bear hunt in Prince William Sound...

PB150080.jpg

Last edited:
OP
U

UPnorth

FNG
Thanks for the additional info and the pictures. That does look like a nice set up. Does Kryptek have you two on commission?! I'll see what the OR looks like when I get it and go from there.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks for the additional info and the pictures. That does look like a nice set up. Does Kryptek have you two on commission?! I'll see what the OR looks like when I get it and go from there.

Yep we are setup with a 0% commission on each and every sale, its pretty sweet :D....just sharing what I know works based on a number of different rain gear sets I've used.

OP
U

UPnorth

FNG
Thanks for the info, greyghost. I suppose I should provide an update for anyone interested on what I decided to do... I'm keeping the OR jacket because I don't think I can beat it for the price. The gear budget is small this year. It's a very solidly built Pro Shell jacket, has a great hood, and the olive color is pretty nice. There are two main complaints I have about it: 1) The cut is a bit off for me and I get some binding around the armpits/chest area. 2) The ventilation system on the jacket is what OR calls Torso Flow. Instead of traditional pit zips, there are waterproof zippers that run from just under the armpit all the way down to the hem. In my mind, these equate to too much of a weakness in the waterproofing. (you're completely at the mercy of the 'waterproof' zippers) In addition, OR didn't bother to put a zipper garage at the top of the vents. In my opinion, this is STUPID. Granted, the top of the zipper is far enough up in your armpit that it likely isn't issue most of the time. However, in prolonged wet weather where someone isn't standing upright all the time, I would expect it to leak eventually. I was very close to sending the jacket back over this. Time will tell if it was stupid to keep it.

So, do I think the jacket is worth the $450 retail price? Not a chance, at least not to me. But I'm willing to work with it for $180. Worst case, the issues with the side vents are nothing some Seam Grip can't take care of. If anyone wants some more info about the jacket, let me know. I'll try to answer best I can.

the hood is the koldo weak point its huge, designed for helmet? not sure why.... its has no flow with side movement with head. if purchase later keep that in mind. on a great note you are comfi and can put your chin into the coat with multilayers on, selling point, and the fabric is whisper quiet. the kuiu chugash on the other hand was a system deal breaker for me sent the whole package over 2G back due to not being able to fit my chin in. the hood was epic though what all should be based off, great season to you, good luck.............

gelton

WKR
Depending on your situation and if the hood is the determining factor for you, you might try the Kryptek Aegis - its hood is removable.

have it, ya its a great coat, yet to have been able to wear it though, it was too hot each time even in the snow. thinkin its more for glassin or tree stand. spot and stalk even in the 20's in wa was a heat stroke in the making. with saying that its a great coat though just have most of their stuff so option, options. paid for them though. the koldo hood is a poor design if someone disagrees then not sure what conditions they hunt in but not with a bow and not where you need to hear or see. like to see them re design it to move with head yet retain comfort. kuiu's hood was perfect just not the neck of their design. my 2 cents.