Kryptek Cadog vs Aquillo...?

916hammer

FNG
Hi all. Hoping for some help here. I’m looking to pick up a Kryptek jacket for fall this year (which means pulling the trigger within the next week or so) and I’m a bit stuck between the Cadog and the Aquillo. Here’s my situation—

I currently live/hunt in Michigan, so fall typically runs 15°F to 45°F, depending upon the day. Whitetail hunting here means sitting in a blind for hours, so it can get cold. I would be looking at the Aegis, but I am moving to Idaho next summer and am going to be engaged in more spot/stalk type of hunting, and I’m sure the Aegis is way too warm for that.

So, based on the above criteria, any advice? They are right around the same price and I’m not buying both, so any help would be appreciated. Even some basic comparisons...which is warmer? More water-resistant? Quieter? Etc.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
really apples and, well, not even oranges here. thats how different they are. a highly compressible, warm, light layer. ideal for glassing and early morning, late night wear vs a softshell. the cadog will not be as warm but more durable and weather resistant. while weighing probably twice as much. its suitable for moving in. the kratos is a closer rival to the aquillo as is the einar or dalibor to the cadog...

OP

916hammer

FNG
Thanks. Would you say the Cadog is a clear-cut better garment for movement, then? Especially with a ruck on? If the answer is "yes" (and it seems to be by your earlier response) then that gives me the answer I need.

personally, i no longer pack a softshell on multiday hunts, and theres a few others around here that feel the same. i do pack a puffy jacket though. for me, when moving, it has to be COLD, to need much more than a light long sleeve.
day hunting around home, i do enjoy the use of a softshell.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
For your application I think you would like the Cadog better. It is a better jacket to be using especially if you are going to be moving a lot and taking a pack with you. It may be heavier but I think you will like it better. It is my favorite jacket to date.

Flyrod

Lil-Rokslider
Cadog and layer up for this year…. It is nice and fleecy on the inside, so I suspect it will be warmer than other soft-shell offerings out there.

Kotaman

WKR
I would have a hard time hiking in either one of these jackets....Yes, they are apples to oranges but for me, they are both WAY too warm for hiking in. (and YES, I have both) IMO they are both a "stationary" jacket. Almost too much to ask of any jacket...That is, one that is good for hiking and one that is good for sitting. I"ve tried/owned a TON of softshells and one of the best of both worlds jackets is the First Lite North Branch Softshell. (which is still plenty warm for hiking)...

There is a great review of softshell jackets right here on this site. I'll post a link if I can find it.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since you are specifically asking about the Kryptek jackets I would still recommend the Cadog over the Aquillo. I use this jacket quite extensively with no problems. I hike in it a great deal as well and it can get warm (use armpit zippers to breath and let out heat) but if you are hiking and heating up you will likely shed a layer anyway. When you stop or are ready to slow down and hunt the Cadog would be your best option. If you are looking for a bit lighter option in the Kryptek line check out the Dalibor or the Einer.

And for packing I would also check out the Borealis jacket! Merino wool sleeves and back for adding breathing, primaloft front to keep you from chilling down! I would say one of the best jackets to wear while carrying weight on your back that breaths great while keeping your temperature where you need it!

OP

916hammer

FNG
Thanks, all. Jared, especially; your input was exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated!

ndboy

FNG
I have both the Cadog and the aquillo. For your specific question i would go with the Cadog for sure over the Aquillo.

I used the Borealis jacket extensively on my hunt in Montana this year. The elevation was between 7,000' and 8700' and the temps were between 30-70*. I wore it constantly. I had a moisture wicking t-shirt on under it and could move all day with a pack on and not get over heated. At night it was a great insulating layer under either my rain jacket or puffy.

I have the Kratos jacket and there is no way I could've moved in that, way too warm.