Kowa vs Swarovski

dwhicker

FNG
Hey guys, I am in looking to buy my first spotting scope in the next month or so. I have been saving up for a long time so money is not an issue. I love digiscoping and that is a huge factor for my decision. I mostly day hunt in Utah with the occasional 2-3 day backpacking trip. I am leaning towards an 80-90 mm objective and have been torn between the Kowa 88, and the Swarovski ATX. Those of you that have looked through either or both, what are your thoughts or opinions? Any help I can get is greatly appreciated!

Marble

WKR
I haven't looked through a Kowa. I do ownan ATX 95. It is quite amazing. I also have a Vortex Razor. It's pretty good but nothing like the swaro.

Wish I could compare it to the Kowa for you.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
dwhicker

dwhicker

FNG
I’ve owned both. I’ll take the kowa all day everyday. The micro focus on the kowa’s are a gamechanger when it comes to digiscoping.
I’ve heard people love the micro focus! How does the glass/picture quality compare?

I ran a 773 Two hunting seasons ago. It was a GREAT spotter! I for some reason i would have a horrible time trying to find what I was looking at through the wide angle if i was looking as something less than 300 yards. I think that it was my eyes for sure. Anything past that is was fine. Glass is amazing and crisp! I dont think you could go wrong with either brand of spotter.

I went back to a swaro and I do enjoy that spotter a lot.

I think with either spotter you are splitting hairs on which ones glass is better. I would sit down behind both before you decide which one you want and see what you like and dislike about both.

JDB9818

WKR
I had the Kowa 88mm but sold it and got the Swarovski ATX.

The Kowa was great, I just prefer the modularity of the Swarovski ATX / STX system. Also, to my eyes the Swarovski is just a little better and admittedly I am a loyal Swarovski fan.

I think it comes down to which features are important to you. I didn't find the focus knob on the Kowa to be a big feature, but some do. The need, or want, to be able to change objectives on the Swarovski might not be important to you either, but that was a big feature for me.

They are both great options and you are really splitting hairs at that price point. I don't think you can go wrong with either option.

Good luck.

wildcat33

WKR
I have the atx and that’s a good way to go if you want the modularity. But you pay for it and it’s not the lightest system. Otherwise the Kowa is probably better. The 88 might be a one and done setup

AndyB

WKR
Optics aside you can half the weight of an ATX if you hunt with a partner....

Kowa 554 800g

85 ATX obj 1100g,

Eyepiece 810g.

Let your buddy carry the Objective.

I'll take the Swaro over the Kowa all day since Swaro has the BTX. If there was zero chance I would want to use a BTX I would look at the Kowa and Zeiss Harpia as well.

twall13

WKR
OP, not sure where you are at in Utah but I have a couple of Kowa scopes I'd be happy to let you look through if we can coordinate a time. I don't have a Swaro to compare them to but I own the 553 and 883 and I'm in Davis county. Send me a PM if interested.

OP
dwhicker

dwhicker

FNG
OP, not sure where you are at in Utah but I have a couple of Kowa scopes I'd be happy to let you look through if we can coordinate a time. I don't have a Swaro to compare them to but I own the 553 and 883 and I'm in Davis county. Send me a PM if interested.
Dang man that would be awesome, unfortunately I’m down in Southern Utah. I appreciate the offer though!

OP
dwhicker

dwhicker

FNG
I have the atx and that’s a good way to go if you want the modularity. But you pay for it and it’s not the lightest system. Otherwise the Kowa is probably better. The 88 might be a one and done setup
I’ve thought the modularity would be awesome but for a few hundred bucks less I could get a Kowa 88/99 and a Kowa 556. Those two should cover all my needs.

6.5x284

WKR
I went from the Swaro STX 85 to the new Kowa 88S and prefer the Kowa. Splitting hairs though.

If you want/need the modularity of changing objectives I’d run the Swaro ATX/STX. If you aren’t going to be swapping objectives or want two dedicated I’d go with the Kowa.

Personally I’ll now run the Kowa 88S and Swaro STC and have two dedicated scopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
ATX if you want modularity and/or BTX option. Kowa if not. There isn’t a wrong choice but Kowa is going to come in lighter and cheaper if you aren’t going to use the ATX features. Purely looking at glass I think it’s a wash.

huntnful

WKR
Kowa 88 since you specifically want it for digiscoping and didn’t mention any need for the BTX. BTX isn’t great for digiscoping. The 88 kowa is optically better, but less robust than the ATX. I just put a neoprene cover on mine. I also recent got an Ollin adapter for my 88 and the digiscoping image is even better now because the phone camera lens sits much close to the objective lens with their system. I’ve had an 80STS, 85STX, Kowa 554, 774 & 884.

MtnMuley

WKR
Swaro STX 95 and the Kowa 554 for me. I leave the BTX on the 115 and haul around when needed. I personally don't think the Kowa 88 stacks up with the Swaro 95. Not for me at least.

......oh, and another vote for the Ollin.

OP
dwhicker

dwhicker

FNG
Kowa 88 since you specifically want it for digiscoping and didn’t mention any need for the BTX. BTX isn’t great for digiscoping. The 88 kowa is optically better, but less robust than the ATX. I just put a neoprene cover on mine. I also recent got an Ollin adapter for my 88 and the digiscoping image is even better now because the phone camera lens sits much close to the objective lens with their system. I’ve had an 80STS, 85STX, Kowa 554, 774 & 884.
I’ve been leaning towards the Ollin. Looks like a great system. Thanks for the feedback!

twall13

WKR
The 88 kowa is optically better, but less robust than the ATX. I just put a neoprene cover on mine.
Not to derail the thread but what neoprene cover did you go with? I'm still not too sure I like the stay on cover that came with mine.

OP
dwhicker

dwhicker

FNG

Do you have the Kowa Neoprene case? How is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk