Kowa 88 Update

ILPete

FNG
Unfortunately it got an updated price.

I do like the two threaded sockets for plant mounting. And it's usually nice to have a few oz shaved off. I have a 1.6x extender I was getting ready to sell. Guess I'll wait to see how the reviews are.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I reached out to kowa and asked what the difference was between the old and new 88 and was told coating for truer colors. Not sure the price difference, but a guy getting into kowa best deal would be find a now older 88 version on clearance or discount or buy used 77 or 88

I have 77 now, have had 88 and 66 love the kowa spotter my self

metau

FNG
I have KOWA 883 (angled view) what tripod & head do you use with your scope.
I have the 884, and run two different tripods depending on my hunt, either a Manfrotto 055 carbon fiber or an Outdoorsmans medium. Both have Jim White pan heads on them.

skeptic

FNG
I have KOWA 883 (angled view) what tripod & head do you use with your scope.
I use two different setups. I have an Outdoorsmans fluid head and a really lightweight Sirui CF tripod I use if I am packing my spotter and my rifle or bow. I have a Feisol tripod as well that I will use with my RRS Anvil from time to time also. Depends on the situation. Both heads have advantages and disadvantages. For bedded or mostly stationary animals, the Anvil is amazingly stable on top of the Feisol, even in the wind. Things aren't all that great though when the critter starts to move. The fluid head is awesome for moving critters. Both good setups though.

orhunter1

FNG
I use two different setups. I have an Outdoorsmans fluid head and a really lightweight Sirui CF tripod I use if I am packing my spotter and my rifle or bow. I have a Feisol tripod as well that I will use with my RRS Anvil from time to time also. Depends on the situation. Both heads have advantages and disadvantages. For bedded or mostly stationary animals, the Anvil is amazingly stable on top of the Feisol, even in the wind. Things aren't all that great though when the critter starts to move. The fluid head is awesome for moving critters. Both good setups though.
thats a pretty amazing setup. Do you use your Kowa with their zoom or fixed eyepiece. Also, have you found their 1.6x extender being useful.

skeptic

FNG
thats a pretty amazing setup. Do you use your Kowa with their zoom or fixed eyepiece. Also, have you found their 1.6x extender being useful.
I use the 25-60 WA Eyepiece exclusively. I rarely find myself at much above 40x, but the Kowa retains remarkably sharp image quality at higher magnifications. I used to run 30x fixed WA eyepieces on other spotters, but the 25-60 is ideal.

While the Kowa doesn't have the rubber armour that the Swaro, Zeiss, and Leica models have, I just got some cheap camo scope tape and made my own protective layer around it. Still maintains it's relative light weight for such a big spotter, and protects the scope really well without adding a bunch of weight.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the 1.6 extender and really have seen no use for it, I suppose if it wasn't a real hot or humid day you could get way out there with it and not have bad mirage, but with the wide angle prominar eye piece there is no need for the extender

orhunter1

FNG
I have the 1.6 extender and really have seen no use for it, I suppose if it wasn't a real hot or humid day you could get way out there with it and not have bad mirage, but with the wide angle prominar eye piece there is no need for the extender
I use the 1.6x extender for wildlife watching and star gazing. Is this the wide angle eyepiece you are talking about?

dlafreni

FNG
I’m looking at the 88 series for a new spotter. Just wondering what people’s opinions are, is the new version worth the price jump?

OP
H

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at the 88 series for a new spotter. Just wondering what people’s opinions are, is the new version worth the price jump?
If you are looking through the new 88 and the old 88 side by side, you would probably notice very slight difference in brightness and clarity. Very slight. Unless it’s a side by side comparison, I doubt any difference could be detected. Both are phenomenal

barn_owl

FNG
If you are looking through the new 88 and the old 88 side by side, you would probably notice very slight difference in brightness and clarity. Very slight. Unless it’s a side by side comparison, I doubt any difference could be detected. Both are phenomenal
Thanks, was wondering about this myself.