KOWA 553/554 Opinions

tracker12

WKR
I am seriously considering buying a compact Spotter. I live out east and most of my glassing is at the range and one or two trips a year out west. Spotter use during my hunts are to verify size more that glassing for game. I like the new Kowa 55A but the price on the 553/554 is temping and seem like the smartest purchase based on my use. For Kowa 553/554 owners how did you like yours.

mainbeam pursuit2

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one from another rokslider. Clarity is great, would be great if it had more fov like the stc. It didn’t cost what the swaro does, so I can live with it. Overall happy with the little kowa.

OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
Yea the Improvement of the FOV is the new model is what keeps me debating what to do. I had a chance to look thru a 553 and was impressed.

Had a small Kowa and a small Razor, then tried a 60mm zeiss and a Kowa 664... settled on a Kowa 774.

I really don't feel that sub 60mm obj spotters are worthwhile... at high magnification they lose light quickly and at low power they don't offer a marked advantage over my 12x50 ELs. The combo of 12x50s with a larger obj spotter really covers all the bases well. I don't live out west but I apply and hunt all over the west so I settled on this after hunting CO, WY, AZ, UT, and even Alaska.

If you are trying to verify trophy quality on critters then I would absolutely go with the largest OBJ lens spotter you are comfortable carrying for your style of hunting. The 774 is not beyond what I'm willing to carry into rough terrain for several days at a time.

OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
Had a small Kowa and a small Razor, then tried a 60mm zeiss and a Kowa 664... settled on a Kowa 774.

I really don't feel that sub 60mm obj spotters are worthwhile... at high magnification they lose light quickly and at low power they don't offer a marked advantage over my 12x50 ELs. The combo of 12x50s with a larger obj spotter really covers all the bases well. I don't live out west but I apply and hunt all over the west so I settled on this after hunting CO, WY, AZ, UT, and even Alaska.

If you are trying to verify trophy quality on critters then I would absolutely go with the largest OBJ lens spotter you are comfortable carrying for your style of hunting. The 774 is not beyond what I'm willing to carry into rough terrain for several days at a time.
Nice perspective. Thanks for the opinion.

Took a 554 on a sheep hunt last year. After coming from a Swaro 65 sts x25-50 it was underwhelming and like looking through a paper towel roll. It was especially weak when it was overcast or there were shadows from clouds. I sold it as soon as I got back, and my next spotter will be a Swaro 80 sts (which is what both of the guides had. After looking through theirs it was hard to look through my 554) I hear the new 55s are much better…

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The spotters are really nice for weight and clairity. FOV is small, but for most purposes, they are very good. The Flourite crystal they use is lighter and clearer than glass. Its the real deal.

Its hard to compare any smaller spotter to a larger spotter, if you want to have the light in poor conditions, then go bigger objective. I want the new 66 Kowa, or I would take the 774.

OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
I currently have a ATM 65 and am going to just stick with it for this year and re-evaluate for next year. Before I make a change I want to do a side by side comparison.

I really don't feel that sub 60mm obj spotters are worthwhile... at high magnification they lose light quickly and at low power they don't offer a marked advantage over my 12x50 ELs.
I'm starting to feel the same. I started with a compact Vortex Razor HD and wasn't super impressed, so I upgraded to a Kowa 554. While better, it is useless in the upper range of the magnification range and struggles in low light. I went in knowing a compact was a trade off, but I wasn't aware of how big of a trade off it was and had slightly unrealistic expectations.

That being said, it has been useful for confirming points and serves it purpose. While I'd like better performance, I'm not willing to carry a bigger spotter. I will be packing it in again this year.