Kodiak vestibule wing opinions

NB7

WKR
I have a Kodiak 10x14 flexbow and I've been thinking of adding the vestibule wing. Searched this a little and saw a few things on it in some other threads, but I'm mainly wondering about wind resistance and how it fairs in weather. What made me think of this is that I had my flexbow out on a trip this weekend in the rain. I'm used to having to pitch the awning on an angle to run the water off, because if you set it up straight away water will pool in it. Not sure how that would go if I had the awning set up to include that vestibule wing. I'm guessing I'd have to try and modify it, or it might be do-able at all.
Anyone willing to share their experience with theirs?

OP
N

NB7

WKR
Thanks for the info and yeah that's sort of what I figured would happen in the rain. Running the awning out straight to cover that vestibule creates the rain trap I would normally avoid by tilting one of those support poles.
Did you find the vestibule did ok in strong wind? You mention it was pretty windy overnight.
I'm thinking maybe a pole to prop up the center of the awning, and I think I saw that mentioned in another thread. Trick is to run the water off to the side and not back toward the tent body where it will pool up against and above the front door.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
the vestibule is a heavier canvas than the tent. It held up great, several times the past couple years. Through winds with 50mph gusts too!
Just need to stake down securely, I use 8 or 10" lag bolts & washers. Best if facing the closed area/back of vestibule into the wind too.

Reactions: NB7

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
When you use the vestibule wing they tell you to buy a grommet kit to have it work properly, I just used the same grommet kit to add a grommet in the dead center of the vestibule and stuck a piece of pvc with a nail in a cap (pointy side in) that was an inch or two taller and all water shed off pretty well. Later taped some hooks on that pvc for soaked jackets to drip off outside the tent instead of inside.

Red33

FNG
I have a 10x10 and the vestibule also. I used an adjustable painter's pole with the rubber foot from a crutch (to keep it from damaging the canvass) in the center of the vestibule when it rains hard. If it is just light rain, ill often angle the corner away from the door down slightly to let the water run off of that side. Works excellent, and I love the vestibule! I think it adds so much versatility to the tent.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
@Red33 Good call with the painters pole, I might chuck my pvc pole into the trash