Kodiak Trophy Potential

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
I’m interested in pursuing a mountain goat hunt on Kodiak in the next couple years, but I’m not really interested in shooting a small billy.

For those that have hunted and know Kodiak, what is your experience with mature Billy’s and their horn size?

I have hunted Kodiak. Great place for an "easier," long-haired billy if you hunt October or later, but I would not recommend Kodiak if you have dreams of a B&C-class goat. Expect billies from 8" into the 9" range. A few 10"+ have been taken, but not many.

Rats. Would really like a chance at a big billy on Kodiak. Maybe I’ll look into BC.

If you’re looking for a big goat you should consider calling Ed Toribio at Primo Expeditions. He consistently gets some really big billies.

We found several nice billies when we were there last September. There were a couple that we just couldn't get to, but I ended up shooting an 8 year old 9.5" billy with fantastic hair. I'd put all of the mature billies we saw in the 9" range.

20230917_150422.jpg

Last edited:
You can try to draw a tag on the North end of the island. Thats probably the better bet for big billies. Most people (myself included) who I know that have hunted there shot nannies or younger billies.

The best billies seem to come out of BC or SE mainland Alaska consistently.

Back