Kodiak brown bear

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
Family member just got back.late spring and Bad weather , the guide outfit they went through had 5 brown bear hunters none successful. Said bears were still higher than the Mtn goats .. tough stuff ..

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Dang. I was just looking at a couple guys I always watch and have on my list to go with and they were 3/4 and 4/4.

You just never know.

wyosteve

WKR
Sorry to hear about the unsuccessful, but for me, I"m glad it's a late spring. I head up for brown bear on the 30th on the peninsula and am hoping to find one with a good hide. Late spring should help on the rubbing.

Lakavea

FNG
Do you know which outfitter?
I’m curious as to which outfitter, as well. These are very expensive hunts to hear excuses when others find ways to get it done. I’ve heard every imaginable excuses from captains and outfitters/guides.

I’m looking for recommendations for a spring Kodiak brown bear hunt.

Bummer to hear that. I had a resident friend that got his bear a couple weeks ago, but sounds like he did not see many and winter was hanging around. He was inland on a lake.

It’s been a late spring. According to the news, we still have not hit 60 degrees here in the Anchorage area (average year is May 12th). Typically for bear hunting I bank on grass starting to green up and alders just budding around May 20th at ~3000ft. We’re at the end of May and the green line is probably closer to 2000ft with a whole lot of snow still at 3,000.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m curious as to which outfitter, as well. These are very expensive hunts to hear excuses when others find ways to get it done. I’ve heard every imaginable excuses from captains and outfitters/guides.

I’m looking for recommendations for a spring Kodiak brown bear hunt.
Different areas, could be different weather and or bear densities. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing. You have to play the hand you are dealt. Waiting on a friend to get back from his brown bear hunt in SE AK. He's got a few more hunt days before he gets back to civilization.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Swampr42

FNG
It’s also helps having guides that know the areas they are guiding in. We just got back from hunting SW of King Salmon with a guide who has been guiding the same area for almost 40 years. He told us a few days before we arrived in camp that the snow was still low and made a plan based on that. Our group of 3 tagged out in 5 days of hunting with the smallest bear measuring 9’4”.

After our hunt we were in a bar in King Salmon eating a burger and drinking a few cold ones and we got to talking with other hunters also waiting to fly out and heard that many guide outfits were not seeing many bears and many clients went home with no bears and very few opportunities.

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
Been there, done that in AK for 23 days! My guide really sucked!

Went to Kamchatka and killed an old bruiser bruin.
Also got a Capercaille for a bonus.

Attachments

• IMG_1458.jpeg
    IMG_1458.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1511.jpeg
    IMG_1511.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1508.jpeg
    IMG_1508.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1522.jpeg