• Powerbelt

• Arrowhead

• Fury

• Barnes

• Cutting Edge

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jfujan

FNG
Ordered a 50 cal Knight Ultralight FPJ with sights to use for CO Elk. My plan is to use BH209 with CCI 209M primers (Any help locating some online would be appreciated). For those who have tested different loads in an UL, what brand bullets and charges have you had the best accuracy with? Planning on trying a few different bullets to see what the gun likes and would like to know where to start for bullets and powder. Mounting a scope for load work then ill put on a williams sight for hunting. Thanks!

Last edited:
I've shot misc Barnes and Powerbelts out of my DISC. No particular standouts. I'm not a huge ballistics nerd though. Western WA muzzy shop owner said the 338gr platinum powerbelt is his best selling elk bullet and it shoots fine outta my DISC so that's what I'm using.

I do not like powerbelts. Tipped 250 gr thors have provided poor penetration for me on whitetails, including one stopping completely on the off-side humerous without breaking that bone, i would not want to shoot that at an elk.

For hunting elk in CO with an inline, right now i'd probably try a no excuses

cowboy300

WKR
120gr BH209 by volume .501 300gr Thor for me. Accuracy was about the same from 100-110-120grain charges so I went with max velocity. I’ve guided quite a few muzzy hunters on elk plus my own kills and buddies and I would stay clear of powerbelts. The only one I’ve seen decent performance from was the 338gr platinums. If you’re looking for an exit wound on a bull a big heavy conical like no excuses will be your best bet.

I use the 300gn Thor. Dont expect the bullet to exit though. They mushroom up wide and dont pass through in my experience on deer and elk.

I would be curious to hear from people that have killed an elk with the Fury, or Arrowhead. Does Cutting edge have a full bore 50cal bullet?

Last edited:
OP
Jfujan

Jfujan

FNG
I was mistaken on cutting edge. They don't have full bore bullets.