Knight Mountaineer vs Ultralite

jmclean

FNG
Considering a new muzzleloader. I live in Oregon but hunt other states as well including Nevada for Elk this year. I've been going back and forth between the Knight mountaineer and the Ultra-lite in a 50 caliber Western edition. I would like to be able to install an adjustable peep site and hope to be accurate out to maybe 250 yards? I like the light weight of the Ultralite and the synthetic stock due to the rainy weather we often contend with here but I'm wondering if the Mountaineer would be a little more accurate with the added weight and also allow for more accurate shooting if I were to hunt states that allow the 209 primers, scopes, etc. Any help on this decision would be appreciated as I just can't seem to make up my mind.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

You won't notice any appreciable difference in accuracy between the two. While the Mountaineer may have a scant velocity and barrel mass advantage, the Ultra Lite should make up for it with it's shorter (stiffer) barrel.

Yeah I wasn't sure. I know a heavier gun sometimes is easier to shoot accurately but wasn't sure how much difference the added barrel length might make as well. I talked with a guy at Knight rifles and he said the Mountaineer may be better if you are able to use the 209 primers and Blackhorn powder. In Oregon we aren't allowed to use the 209 primers but thinking I might hunt a state in the future that does allow them. Another big factor for me is being able to get an adjustable peep sight that works. I've seen a few posts showing a couple different options for the Ultralite but haven't found anything for the Mountaineer. Does anyone know if there is an option for the Mountaineer?

Most parts are interchangeable on the Mountaineer and Ultra Lite Mountaineer -- they would use the same rear sight. However, the Ultra Lite barrel has a tapered profile, so it will have a smaller barrel radius at the muzzle.

I sure do appreciate the input. Do you have any idea of what kind of accuracy and/or maximum range a guy can expect out of either one of these using the #11 percussion caps and open sights that we are restricted to? I can't seem to find much information for group sizes using our restrictions. I'm guessing the open sights would keep a guy from shooting much further than 250yards or so, but not sure what the rifles are capable of with hunting loads and our restrictions.

Your ability to shoot with open sights will limit your range more than anything. My personal limit is around 150 yards. When using a scope 250 yards is no problem shooting sabots. I have no experience shooting 50 cal full bore.

I will always side on the lighter weight. Personnaly I've found that the light weight makes a big difference when shooting off hand. When time allows I find shooting of my pack is very easy. I run the Vortek Ultralite NW Magnum LR 50. for WA. At just 5.5lbs, I dont even bother to run a sling. Its also shooting 1.5" groups @ 120yds out of the box. I recommend it to anyone.

I have an Ultralite. I use the (now discontinued) .50 300 gr FPB. I'll likely switch out to the THOR .50 300 gr. The recoil is no joke. The trigger is crisp and clean, with no creep.

You'll need to clean the primer pocket somewhat frequently, as the 209s can get stuck. I recommend not cleaning it, so you can see how long it takes to get sticky. For mine, I want to say it's somewhere around 15 shots with CCI 209 Magnums. It would be awful to get to that point with an animal standing there and you can't reload because you can't remove the previous primer.

Also, do make sure you shoot a dirty bore. What are the chances that the animal will let you bust out a cleaning rod on a second shot?

For my type hunting in the field - I will take the ULite easy over the Mountaineer.

For use during regular rifle season...

Knight-ULite-Nitride.jpg

And for our ML season... an older original Ulite

ULite_Western.jpg

Burlap; Are you shooting the BH209 powder with the 300grain bullets?

Nice looking rifle sabotloader. I like the nitride finish!

For my type hunting in the field - I will take the ULite easy over the Mountaineer.

For use during regular rifle season...

Knight-ULite-Nitride.jpg

And for our ML season... an older original Ulite

ULite_Western.jpg
@sabotloader what weaver bases are you using for the NECG peep sight? Also what is the front ramp sight combo you have going on there? Beautiful rifles by the way!

@sabotloader what weaver bases are you using for the NECG peep sight? Also what is the front ramp sight combo you have going on there? Beautiful rifles by the way!

The NECG peep is mounted on Warne bases #M826-826M

The numbers for the Front sight>

NECG Peep

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/peep-sight-prod9643.aspx

Warne Bases M826/826M
947-000-166WB
Maxima 2-Piece Base Knight Disc Matte
Mfr Part: M826826M

Front Ramp
962-020-097WB
Streamlined Ramp 3/16" 1.625 Hole Spacing Screw-on
Mfr Part: 1690

Williams front fire Sight
962-564-350WB
Red Fire Sight fits .343N
Mfr Part: 56434

Fire sight Hood
962-000-016WB
Fire Sight Hood
Mfr Part: 70031

Think that is everything you need..

Front-Sight-set-up.jpg

NECG-Weaver-Peep.jpg

I have started changing the red fiber optic out for a green fiber optic. For myself it provides a much better contrast on the the target.

Green_Fiber.jpg

Last edited:
Back