KNIGHT Mountaineer Stock Alternatives

Ben A

FNG
looking for suggestions for changing the Boyds wood composite stock for something lighter for a .50 Cal Mountaineer. I know the UltraLite stock will fit, but when I talked with Justin at Knigt, he recommended against it due to observed loss in accuracy.

Plan to take to CO for elk, so it will be open sights anyway, maybe the loss of accuracy wont be significant?

I also thought of just ordering a new solid wood Boyds stock, just not sure how much lighter it would be and if the $ would be worth it.

Thoughts?

Any newer Knight DISC extreme will fit on a Mountaineer. Might call Knight and ask about purchasing a Knight Ultra Lite Kevlar stock - it will fit the Mountaineer also...

This is a Mountaineer in a ULite stock

45-cal-FT-Kevlar.jpg

Mountaineer in a Knight DISC Extreme thumbhole stock

Mountaineer.jpg

OP
B

Ben A

FNG
Any newer Knight DISC extreme will fit on a Mountaineer. Might call Knight and ask about purchasing a Knight Ultra Lite Kevlar stock - it will fit the Mountaineer also...

This is a Mountaineer in a ULite stock

45-cal-FT-Kevlar.jpg

Mountaineer in a Knight DISC Extreme thumbhole stock

Mountaineer.jpg
Did you have any accuracy issues going to the UL stock? Justin from Knight said he would sell one to me, but recommened against it due to accuracy issues.

Did you have any accuracy issues going to the UL stock? Justin from Knight said he would sell one to me, but recommened against it due to accuracy issues.

No, I had no problems at all with the ULite stock. Surprised that Justin would indicate that, but he should know. The Mountaineer stock is probably better than the Ulite for target, bench, and stand shooting but, for hunting I feel a lot better with the Ulite and even really better with the thumbhole DISC stock for real long distance shooting. But another factor you might consider... 200 yards is my desired limit of shooting, although I have dinged around shooting 400 yard gongs.