Knife Recommendations

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
Buck 110 or 112. Now you can get different blade shapes and steels

I had a 3 year stint where on backpacking hunts I would only use the “gutless method” but went back away from that fad about 5 years ago.

I rarely, rarely use the gutless method. It's a fad and for me it doesn't serve any logical or practical purpose.

On another note, I don't put meat in cloth game bags until I'm completely done transporting it out of the field. Prior to that, it's transported in plastic garbage bags, so my framepack doesn't smell like a bear bait station.

In terms of knives, I have a Buck 110 folder in the cargo pocket of my Wrangler pants, and a Knives of Alaska skinner and a fixed short-blade knife (combo) in my framepack.

Marshfly

WKR
I rarely, rarely use the gutless method. It's a fad and for me it doesn't serve any logical or practical purpose.
Explain how the gutless method is a fad?

For hunts where you have to pack out the meat there is literally zero reason to gut an animal. Gutless is faster, cleaner, and just plain better in all ways if you are not backing a vehicle up to the animal directly or after a short drag.

For hunts where you have to pack out the meat there is literally zero reason to gut an animal ..... if you are not backing a vehicle up to the animal directly or after a short drag.

Come to think of it, I haven't backed a motor vehicle up to a kill site in 39 years. Wow, time flies. Anyway, 99.99% of my kills are carried out on my back, usually at great distances.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Explain how the gutless method is a fad?

For hunts where you have to pack out the meat there is literally zero reason to gut an animal. Gutless is faster, cleaner, and just plain better in all ways if you are not backing a vehicle up to the animal directly or after a short drag.
I know you didn’t quote me, but this would be a discussion for a different thread as to not clutter this one.

I have a few main reasons why I went away from gutless method, even on “backpack” hunts where I’m hauling the meat a long ways, or storing meat in the back country while a second or third hunter tags out.

Marshfly

WKR
I know you didn’t quote me, but this would be a discussion for a different thread as to not clutter this one.

I have a few main reasons why I went away from gutless method, even on “backpack” hunts where I’m hauling the meat a long ways, or storing meat in the back country while a second or third hunter tags out.
Going to start a thread here in a minute. Genuinely curious. I started gutless when I moved here to Montana and never looked back. So much cleaner.

I carry Mora's over the replacement blade knives. Razor sharp, easy for anyone to sharpen due to the bevel, light and cheap if you just want to toss it and get another
Morakniv Companion (S) Sandvik Stainless Steel Fixed-Blade Knife with Sheath, Dala Red, 4.1 Inch https://a.co/d/d4Kxnhi

WCB

WKR
I'd go fixed or folder. I skinned, gutted, caped a bunch of deer, antelope and elk with a 3.5 fixed blade. For someone new at it I would not recommend a replacement blade knife. With a fixed or folder you don't have to worry about breaking blades or blades coming off the knife. Learn how to field sharpen a knife and even with cheapies you can get through a whole mule deer boned out and caped and only have to touch up the blade once or twice.

I carry a replacement blade knife but honestly hardly gets used anymore. Again, never had a blade break or come off on a fixed or folder.

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
I like a replaceable blade for once the deer is on the ground. I only run into trouble when breaking the hip bone. I also carry a foldable knife for everything else (cutting rope, food, etc.).

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
I'm using replaceable blades since I'm still new to skinning and quartering. It's a lot quicker for me to replace a blade then try and sharpen whenever I mess up a blade.

If you are confident in your ability to keep a blade sharp and able to sharpen a knife fairly easily a fixed blade works great. I'm planning on switching when I get better at both.

Whatever you go with just remember when skinning go with the grain of the hair. Don't cut across the grain or against it. This will quickly dull your blade. I like an inexpensive fixed blade or folder like the 110 lite hunter and a replacement like the gerber vital. The fixed or folder work great for joint work so you don't break a replacement. I think you should be able to do both within your budget. After some experience I'd get a nice fixed blade. I like the Benchmade altitude and the MKC speedgoat. Just my humble opinion. Keep us posted on what you decide and good luck this season.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
If I am gutting a whitetail where I know I can get an ATV or truck to it, a fixed blade does the job just fine. I make my own knives, but a Mora 510 is a lot of knife for the asking price so I have several of those. They weigh next to nothing to boot.

I go gutless most of the time anymore. As for replaceable blade knives, I just keep a cheap plastic surgical-style handle and a few blades in my kill kit. I've broken a few blades along with a Gerber knife breaking at the blade holder mechanism 1/2 way through breaking down an elk.

I tend to stay away from the "60T" blades as they are thin and too flexible, IMO. I prefer a #22 blade anymore as it's mostly tip work anyway and they have a bit more belly than a #60.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I’ve used a havalon for many years. Most years I’ll do multiple animals, deer/elk/antelope. It’s not perfect but then again I haven’t gone looking for another knife. I don’t gut anything.

Marble

WKR
Yeah maybe next year I can upgrade to one of the nicer fixed blades. Thanks for the info
I carry all 3. Replaceable, folding twin blade and a small pocket knife.

For certain things while cleaning animals, I'll switch to the traditional knife in order to not use the replaceable blade knife to pry with because they are fragile. I've broken them several times.

There have been several times where we (sometimes just me) have killed 2 elk at one time. So, having the twinblade gives me a backup knife.

And, on days like whwre I kill ana animal, I normally get back to camp super late, and I'm up super early, to be back at the carcass for meat packing. I'm pretty good about remembering to sharpen stuff after I use it, but there have been a few times I have forgotten.

Some guys carry a small sharpener, but I'm fairly OCD with my blade edges, so I don't mess with that on the field.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk