Knife making

Clarktar

WKR
I'm slowly improving my grinds, so starting to try shapes that were too difficult for me earlier. Tried a couple of sizes in a "Nesmuk" style blade. I am still trying to decide if I am going to leave the handle as it is, or keep shaping them a little more. But they are mostly done now.

Orange handled blade is NitroV steel, orange G10 handles with green g10 liners and pins. The liner is only .5mm, so desnt show up too well. It was one of the first liners I bought, and I am trying to use it up on this trial knife. For some reason, I had more trouble grinding even bevels on this smaller blade than I did on the bigger version.

The other is Elmax steel, with camo G10 handles and flat earth coloured G10 pins. Didnt seem like any point using a liner on this since the camo pattern is a laminate of G10.

IMG-9713.jpg

IMG-9714.jpg

IMG-9715.jpg

IMG-9716.jpg
That orange one looks like a great shape!! Nice job.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Please don't take this as a backhanded compliment...

I wasn't sure how I felt about the red pins until the last picture. The bottom middle pair being so visible is awesome and the way they pop really makes me like the knife.

Thanks mate. Definitely didnt come across as anything but positive.

asmxxiv

FNG
This thread is motivating me to try this. Thank you all for the information!

Kindo

WKR
I’ve been doing a little research on dabbling into this. I understand a 2x72” belt grinder seems to be the go-to, but could a guy use a 6x48” with a 1.5hp motor to good effect on hunting size knives? Any draw backs to such size machine?

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been doing a little research on dabbling into this. I understand a 2x72” belt grinder seems to be the go-to, but could a guy use a 6x48” with a 1.5hp motor to good effect on hunting size knives? Any draw backs to such size machine?

Hi mate. You can make a knife with about any grinder, but the purpose built knife making grinders make it easier. You can even make a knife with hand tools, but thats harder again.

People have certainly used a 6x48 to make knives. I use one for all the handle shaping on the first couple of knives I made. I have seen a few people set the belt vertically and grind their blade on a 6x48 too.

What you are giving up on something like a 6x48 vs a "proper" knife grinder include:

1) speed control - the ability to control the speed of the belt was the single biggest step forward for me when I upgraded my equipment. Being able to run the belt at different speeds is important for machining different materials and also for different steps in the process. For example once you get close to finishing your edge grind, it is good to be able to slow the belt right down. If its running too fast, it is possible to overheat the thin edge material quicker than you can react.

2) belt selection - with a 6x48, you will probably have a limited selection of belts available vs a 2x48 or 2x72. I started with a single speed 2x48. I read that ceramic belts are good for grinding bevels, and they are great with the right grinder. But on my first grinder, it was too under powered to get the best out of a ceramic belt, so I used mainly aluminium oxide or zirconia belts. And you probably wont be able to get all the different grit belts that you can on a 2x48 or 2x72.

3) 6" wide belt will make it a little harder to fine tune grinds. I find a times that I have put a little more or less pressure on the steel as I am grinding an edge. So I have to go back and just grind a section of the steel in one spot. A 2" belt lets me get into one part of the blade, without grinding the rest of the blade. This bit might not make a lot of sense until you start grinding, but keeping the grind even over the whole bevel is one of the first things you need to learn when you start.

But having said all that, its a good idea to start with the tools you have available. If you find you like it, then you will almost certainly want to upgrade your equipment. But if you find you dont like it, at least you didnt waste much money to find out.

Kindo

WKR
Hi mate. You can make a knife with about any grinder, but the purpose built knife making grinders make it easier. You can even make a knife with hand tools, but thats harder again.

People have certainly used a 6x48 to make knives. I use one for all the handle shaping on the first couple of knives I made. I have seen a few people set the belt vertically and grind their blade on a 6x48 too.

What you are giving up on something like a 6x48 vs a "proper" knife grinder include:

1) speed control - the ability to control the speed of the belt was the single biggest step forward for me when I upgraded my equipment. Being able to run the belt at different speeds is important for machining different materials and also for different steps in the process. For example once you get close to finishing your edge grind, it is good to be able to slow the belt right down. If its running too fast, it is possible to overheat the thin edge material quicker than you can react.

2) belt selection - with a 6x48, you will probably have a limited selection of belts available vs a 2x48 or 2x72. I started with a single speed 2x48. I read that ceramic belts are good for grinding bevels, and they are great with the right grinder. But on my first grinder, it was too under powered to get the best out of a ceramic belt, so I used mainly aluminium oxide or zirconia belts. And you probably wont be able to get all the different grit belts that you can on a 2x48 or 2x72.

3) 6" wide belt will make it a little harder to fine tune grinds. I find a times that I have put a little more or less pressure on the steel as I am grinding an edge. So I have to go back and just grind a section of the steel in one spot. A 2" belt lets me get into one part of the blade, without grinding the rest of the blade. This bit might not make a lot of sense until you start grinding, but keeping the grind even over the whole bevel is one of the first things you need to learn when you start.

But having said all that, its a good idea to start with the tools you have available. If you find you like it, then you will almost certainly want to upgrade your equipment. But if you find you dont like it, at least you didnt waste much money to find out.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, that’s kind of what I was thinking regarding points 2 & 3. I can get a nice Jet 6x48 with 1.5HP for $500 so I was hoping it would fit the bill better versus a $300 China 2x42/48.

I dabble in some bow making as well and was hoping to kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks for the input!