Knee Compression Sleeves

Short on cache

Lil-Rokslider
I was reading in Tony Russ' book as I prep for my sheep hunt this year and he says he uses compression sleeves on his knees for extra protection. I do have pretty horrible knees. Any of you guys wear them? What are the pros and cons? What brand do you suggest?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use basic knee sleeves on both knees and have tried the copper brand as well. They help keep things warm around my knee and in my mind they help both inflammation and comfort on long days. It may only be the naproxen but I believe they help so I wear them. Only thing I can say is get proper fit as with sweat and any movement they can rub you raw!

Back in my pro snowboarding and instructing days I would wear a neoprene knee sleeve with patella alignment disc that would greatly help the stability of my knees and keep them warm. The only con I had with them is if I got too hot my knee would sweat like crazy and that neo would start to get a little a-sinky after a while.
They seemed to help and my knees would be more sore after a full day of hard boarding had I not worn them.

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
I wear them as I always overdue it on the first day every year and I am now 53 and hunt beside my 25 year kid who doesn't know the word quit. They help me especially stepping over deadfalls and walking downhill with weight in pack. Brother in law uses just the thin band that goes across bottom of knee and loves them.

tenth1

Lil-Rokslider
All of 33 and use them. Not sure what the magic is, but I had some pain descending with heavy loads and using them flat works.

My recommendation is to use nothing with stitching or other fabric besides the neoprene on the edges, it will rub. I like ones that I can take off or on with boots on.

OP
S

Short on cache

Lil-Rokslider
I really hate how they bunch up behind my knee when I squat or sit. I am however 39 and have had 4 knee surgeries so I feel like I better do something before I head into the sheep hills this August.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wear them on the outside of my pants if I need them. I use one that has straps above and below the knee so I can cinch it down as tight as I want it.....especially for packouts. It's amazing how much more weight I can squat when I wear them as well.

OP
S

Short on cache

Lil-Rokslider
All of 33 and use them. Not sure what the magic is, but I had some pain descending with heavy loads and using them flat works.

My recommendation is to use nothing with stitching or other fabric besides the neoprene on the edges, it will rub. I like ones that I can take off or on with boots on.

Which ones do that?

BOW1144

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked these up last month to try out for this fall. So far I have worn them for a few hikes and around the house to see how they feel. I too cant stand having knee pads that bunch up behind my knee or get too hot. So far I really like these. They breath really well and stay in place with a decedent amount of protection and support.

http://www.mcdavidusa.com/Product/6440R/MCDAVID_Hex™_Knee_Elbow_
Shin_Pads.aspx

OP
S

Short on cache

Lil-Rokslider
I wear them on the outside of my pants if I need them. I use one that has straps above and below the knee so I can cinch it down as tight as I want it.....especially for packouts. It's amazing how much more weight I can squat when I wear them as well.

I actually meant to quote this and ask. Which ones do that?

Poser

WKR
I had the Rhebands for awhile, but they tend to bunch up and not provide much actual support. They will keep your knees warm when its cold out which is all some people need. I bought a pair of Powerlifting sleeves: http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/training/62302-evolutionize-knee-sleeves-review.html

Amazon Prime had a test market purchase of them for $1. They are normally $60. They were a little uncomfortable the first time I wore them, but once I got them adjusted right and they softened up a bit, they felt great. They do not bunch up at all and really provide excellent support. I haven't worn knee compression sleeves in the backcounty, though I have considered it. I do think they would get stinky. You'd also need to consider how they fit over or under your baselayers.

OP
S

Short on cache

Lil-Rokslider
Man I'm really hung on this one. Sounds like so many options and opinions and none are the same. I was really hoping there would be a go to! Lol they're pretty expensive to just try lots of different ones

I've found that they're a hassle for me to wear while hiking. Mine always seem to slip down my shins. I do like them for heavy leg workouts though.

Both of my knees are bad!! One has been bad for 40 years!! Left knee has had 3 surgeries, severed ACL, right knee "only" once, needs another now.
I am 64 yrs old, but very active. I helped pack out a 71" moose last fall, in a "bone left in meat" area!!
I have a very expensive carbon fiber, titanium custom brace for my left knee. I have tried a couple of dozen different types of
braces over the years, I DO NOT let my knees keep me from doing what I love to do!!

I am saying all this to make a point!!

The BEST brace I have ever used is also the cheapest , imagine that!!
Go to Wallyworld and get a MUELLER neoprene . They are $13 here in Alaska, cheaper down south I am sure!!
They are adjustable, very light weight, washable, comfortable, etc.
I take 4 with me, and rotate them during a trip. You can rinse them out in a creek, and they dry guickly.
If I am packing heavy I put them on the outside of my pants and really cinch them down.
They stay in place very well for me, even wearing them next to skin.

Bob

OP
S

Short on cache

Lil-Rokslider
Good info Bob! I actually live in AK too. Im military so I am always moving and don't always update my stuff. Ill check those out!

OP
S

Short on cache

Lil-Rokslider
Both of my knees are bad!! One has been bad for 40 years!! Left knee has had 3 surgeries, severed ACL, right knee "only" once, needs another now.
I am 64 yrs old, but very active. I helped pack out a 71" moose last fall, in a "bone left in meat" area!!
I have a very expensive carbon fiber, titanium custom brace for my left knee. I have tried a couple of dozen different types of
braces over the years, I DO NOT let my knees keep me from doing what I love to do!!

I am saying all this to make a point!!

The BEST brace I have ever used is also the cheapest , imagine that!!
Go to Wallyworld and get a MUELLER neoprene . They are $13 here in Alaska, cheaper down south I am sure!!
They are adjustable, very light weight, washable, comfortable, etc.
I take 4 with me, and rotate them during a trip. You can rinse them out in a creek, and they dry guickly.
If I am packing heavy I put them on the outside of my pants and really cinch them down.
They stay in place very well for me, even wearing them next to skin.

Bob

Hey Bob, I looked at Wally World. they have several different ones made by Mueller Any idea of the model or a picture?

ofl0926

WKR