Knee Brace for Backcountry?

pluckem

FNG
Lately I have been tweaking my knee some when I keep my foot planted but turn my body. I know its bad ergonomics, because if I would pivot on my toes or just lift my foot I could avoid this, but I guess it's easier said than done. What are some braces people have used with success? Any specific type I should look for that would best address my issue?

Poser

WKR
If you need prevent twisting, you're going to have to have a hinged knee brace. Hinged braces are going to be bulky. No way around it. the velcro staps above and below the knee such BJJ style knee braces won't be effective at prevent over rotation.
That's going to put you in something like this: https://www.mcdavidusa.com/products...MAjUNM8r5SHMHgmWMoMlakko8KFEjUJBoCLGQQAvD_BwE

You can spend $150, you can spend $800, you can spend $60 on variations of this design. I would get one that appears to be the most breathable.

Stoko has base layers with 90 feet of steel cabling that you tighten with BOA dials. They are about $500. a lot of skiers are swearing by these: https://stoko.com/collections/mens?...T6GyehekSSjbG35qlxFnKVGzflePkvnxoCXiUQAvD_BwE

Also, sounds like you may have a torn meniscus which is common. You probably don't need surgery, but you may need to take some action in the form of lifestyle adjustments.

OP
P

pluckem

FNG
Appreciate the reply. The hinged brace seemed like the answer for the twisting, but was hoping to avoid given the bulk and weight. Your probably right, in that I might have some injury. Never had any knee issues in the past and don't remember any specific incident that would have caused one, so I haven't seen a DR. for it.

First I have heard of that Stoko product. Thanks.

ganngus

WKR
I pack neoprene knee sleeves on my pack for heavy pack outs. However, I’ve heard good things about the Bauerfiend GenuTrain. May be worth taking a look at.

yfarm

WKR
360 hinged brace, $450 at ortho office, $45 at Academy sports, $30 at Walmart, slight differences prefer the Academy sports. Have a torn medial meniscus rt knee, allows me bowl without pain on twist knee, climb and hunt steep terrain without worry.

ganngus

WKR
If you need an ankle brace, I can give you a recommendation of one that got me through POW last week 9 months post op on ankle reconstruction surgery.

wweaver

Lil-Rokslider
I have had off and on knee issues but nothing surgery serious over the years. I turned 45 this year and started wearing soft knee sleeves when doing any running or hiking with a pack. Keeps everything in place more or less. They seem to help, and yes I make a concentrated effort to NOT turn with a planted foot when standing. That will get you especially when one leg has most of the load. Getting older sucks.