Kit'n up the kid(s)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Oldest should pull some CO tags this year and maybe WY. I want him to have a good non-cotton layer system liked I enjoy but also not gonna splurge for nicer stuff till he stops growing (IE I'd like zip off baselayer pants for him but not gonna splurge)! These aren't necessarily the most screaming deals but here's some layers I've ordered I think will do decent.
(Please keep brand opinions in check, talking kids clothes here and they aren't political, put your adult dollars where you want :) ).

Camo: I am perfectly fine with solids and could care less about matching patterns, that said some camo can be fun for the kids to look the part too so as long as its not a premium I've grabbed camo. He also needs some of these layers for scout camp anyways and general outdoors.

Top thin baselayer: he's already got something

Top thin long sleeve poly mesh shirt (sun/scratch protection/skin cover): $10 sale on poly eddie baurer in a generic camo https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/913LK031/boys'-boulder-peak-long-sleeve-t-shirt?sp=1&color=Camo&size=

Top 1/4 zip midlayer fleece: $20 magallen outdoors, the veil pattern is kinda fun: https://www.academy.com/p/magellan-...ner-1-4-zip-pullover?sku=medium-veil-flagship

Top full zip hoodie (kid loves hoodies) fleece: $16 sale on eddie baurer in a generic camo https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/913HD032/boys'-boulder-peak-full-zip-hoodie?sp=1&color=Camo

Top puffy: Need to see if his current one still fits

Top rain/wind layer: he needs a larger size likely going $30 columbia glennaker unless I come across something better. https://www.columbia.com/p/boys-glennaker-rain-jacket-1574731.html?dwvar_1574731_color=431&pos=11

Bottom thin baselayer: he's already got something

Bottom midlayer fleece: TBD, lots of fleece sweats out there.

Bottom pants: $18 magallen outdoors has zip off stretch poly pants, he's got the solids version for scouts/outdoors, the veil pattern is kinda fun: https://www.academy.com/p/magellan-...-deluxe-zip-off-pants?sku=large-veil-flagship

I'll need to review his gloves for fit still and make sure blaze hats in the proper size are on hand.

If folks have suggestions to add to a running list of options out there feel free to post on! :)

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm trying to sort through this myself for my boy, with little luck so far. Following

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hope those are some good leads, for the price I think they'll work decent. The layering is all similar to my fancier layers. Unless its really cold out seems like it'll provide solid flexibility.

So are we thinking camo or blazer orange for the muzzle to try and keep him quite? ;)

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hope those are some good leads, for the price I think they'll work decent. The layering is all similar to my fancier layers. Unless its really cold out seems like it'll provide solid flexibility.

So are we thinking camo or blazer orange for the muzzle to try and keep him quite? ;)
Ya those are an excellent start. Probably no camo, just solids. We're going archery though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Are you buying now or waiting closer to fall?
Some good options with the eddie bauer stuff.
I've got same thing going with my oldest but he's got younger brothers so would be nice if it lasted for hand me downs.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Are you buying now or waiting closer to fall?
Some good options with the eddie bauer stuff.
I've got same thing going with my oldest but he's got younger brothers so would be nice if it lasted for hand me downs.
Buying now as I find deals that suit my needs. He needs some layers (rain gear, etc.) for scout camp this summer plus I just want to have things squared away so its one less thing to deal with as time flys by heading into fall.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Got some Medalist Boys Comfort Stretch Level 2 baselayers off ebay, $15-18 range for a top/bottom, 92%poly/8% spandex. Tad thicker than the thinner baselayers the kids already had. They happened to be a dark camo pattern but I literally could care less for baselayers.

Still need to address raingear but got a decent layer setup here I think $80-90.

Top: Thin poly long sleeve (sun/scratch protection in heat). Hooded full zip poly fleece w/ chest pocket.
Middle: Slightly thicker baselayer shirt. 1/4 zip fleece
Bottom: Slightly thicker baselayer pants. Zip off cargo pocket poly pants
NO4Mu6Tl.jpg

koppertop

FNG
Great idea for a thread! I'm in the process of trying to kit out my soon to be 12 year old daughter. She wants to hunt this year and is growing like a weed.....

Does anyone have any tips for a decent kid's down puffy? Camo not required but some kind of natural solid would be nice, a hood would be great. I'll probably pick up a woobie as added insurance.....the last thing I want is to make it a miserable experience.

Anyone have a 12-ish year old kiddo that has outgrown their gear? Seems a kid specific buy/sell/trade thread could be useful for parents trying to outfit growing kids.......

eric1115

WKR
We found some great kids pants this year for my daughter, brand is reima.

They are very similar to the Eddie Bauer guide pro, prana Zion, etc. Good water and wind performance, available in some muted earthy solid colors, and while a step up the price scale from the typical cheap kids' camo much less than kids' kuiu, first lite, etc.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In regards to boots ran into something I hadn't expected, had him in a pair of lower cost but seemed reasonable quality "Denali Cinder" hiking boots from Big 5, ~$30. In general they are decent for most terrain I think but the one issue we ran into is there is no shank and the rubber compound isn't super hard. Where the problem arises is ground cactus needles can poke into them and occasionally he'd feel them hit his foot (no spiking in but an uncomfortable poke). I'll run these till he out grows them after this season but I'll probably be on the lookout for clearance small mens or nuetral color womens true hiking boots in the future.