Kimber stock question

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
Just tell them you're adamant on replacing the original Montana stock.
Either use it until they find you another one, or pull it off and let it sit.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That stock isn’t lighter. It’s exactly the same. In fact it maybe heavier because of the paint they use.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Seems like they are just sending out old stuff since they don’t use that sub alpine pattern anymore.

Buzby

WKR
I’d say you have a few options

hold out until they get what you want back in stock. Make sure they’ll take yours in exchange if it takes a while.

Post a trade in the classifieds

Strip the soft touch, and paint it yourself. DIY camo is 🤌

OP
W
I’d say you have a few options

hold out until they get what you want back in stock. Make sure they’ll take yours in exchange if it takes a while.

Post a trade in the classifieds

Strip the soft touch, and paint it yourself. DIY camo is 🤌
Thanks, yeah, those are all options. Just would hate to try and strip it and have it all be a mess. Synthetic stocks can be a little unpredictable.

OP
W
That’s surprising. I wonder where they cut the weight. Has to be in the fill, right?
Not sure, or if they are made of slightly different material. They are the same shape. Only difference I can TELL is the Montana has a rough texture and the MA is smooth.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It actually is about 5 ounces lighter - I have weighed them each myself.
Strange because I’ve weighed them side by side as well and always found the soft touch MA stocks to be heavier than the standard Montana stocks.

The Alaska life did a review too which found the same (I believe Luke moffat owns that rifle). IF the stock is lighter, I find it. Dry difficult to believe it’s 5 oz lighter.

The stocks are weighed side to side in that article. Their results are exactly the same as results I’ve had with many kimbers.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
maybe something has changed in the 10 years since that article was written. Don’t know. Here are side by side weigh-ins I did myself. Same exact serial number metal on each one. Only the stock was changed. The Montana stock has two front swivels but that’s a fraction of an ounce.
View attachment 651008View attachment 651009
Maybe they made the new Montana stocks heavier. That subalpine stock you have is the same as they have been for the past 10+ years. Apparently they did get a new stock maker in Costa Rica but that sub alpine stock isn’t one of those.

I have a couple of the new Montanas with the double sling swivels. Both weight between 3-4oz more then my older Montanas.

OP
W
The 2023 Montana stock is also a new color - “seal gray” - so sounds like a few things have changed. Thanks for the input everyone.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a couple of the new Montanas with the double sling swivels. Both weight between 3-4oz more then my older Montanas.
Awesome info, good to know.

It is strange though how the weights of the Montana rifles are the same as before the made the stock switch. I’d think that most folks buying a Kimber are doing so for the lightweight aspect. When their stock comes in 5oz over listed weight they might be upset.

Last edited:

Ken_L

FNG
WasatchShooter - I would like to purchase the Kimber Stock you have for sale in the classifieds along with the bottom metal. I can't post in the classifieds yet or get PM's but my e-mail is [email protected]. I am on the 24hourcampfire site and have been a member there since 2004.

Thanks,
Ken

OP
W
WasatchShooter - I would like to purchase the Kimber Stock you have for sale in the classifieds along with the bottom metal. I can't post in the classifieds yet or get PM's but my e-mail is [email protected]. I am on the 24hourcampfire site and have been a member there since 2004.

Thanks,
Ken
Email sent