Kimber Hunter opinions

CRJR45

WKR
I'm really struggling to shoot my Kimber .280AI . I take two guns to the range , my 7mm Rem Mag and this .280 . My 7mmRM is consistently sub MOA at 100 , but this Kimber is all over . I'm handloading and that might be part of it , I haven't really found what it wants to shoot ?
Plus , this gun has a really long jump to the lands , like .040 , and if I load something close to the lands the cartridge doesn't fit into the magazine ?
I put a Javelin Bipod and a Trigger Tech trigger on it . Shooting ELD's 162 , I've tried H4831SC and I just found some RL19 , going to the range today .
I'm sure its me and not the gun .

Plus , this is where I got mine , on sale -

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
I have been eyeing the Hunter Desolve Blak in 280ai for a while, just wish I could find them in stock to handle them. Once I do get hands on one though and if I like the way it feels it'll probably come home with me.
The LGS had one in last week. If it was in 280ai it would have followed me home regardless of what the wife would have said.

Ive got a Hunter in 3006 and its a great shooter with the 180 grain fodder that it prefers. First 2 rounds are always a figure 8 and the 3rd shot is centered but an inch high. The 4th shot goes another couple of inches high and i dont know where round 5 impacts as its off the target. Just dont plan on doing much high volume, fast shooting.
Being a lighter rifle it IS harder to shoot well. I have a bolt action 22lr that is basically a replica of the Kimber and i use the time while the Kimber cools to shoot the 22 and practice fundamentals. My only regret is that I didnt get it in 280ai.

Gone4Days

WKR
I have Kimber Hunter Pro (threaded barrel) Desolve Blak in 308. Weighs 6.36 lbs with a NF SHV 3-10 and Talley LW rings. Shoots great too! Love that rifle but it’s picky and may take time to find out what she shoots well. I couldn’t get Nosler bullets to group at all in mine81B25342-FECC-4344-9530-610CB986B45E.jpegB28E12B4-ED7C-4168-A7FA-042B3BDAA441.jpeg324BC0AD-A4CE-4CA9-8FA3-B3817F0ED21D.jpeg

Last edited:

CRJR45

WKR
My Kimber Hunter .280AI did much better today , thanks for all I've learned on this post and others on Rockslide .
I changed loads , went with CCI LR BR2 primer , 57 gr's of RL19 and ELDX bullet . Also went with a different target .
My Savage 7mm RM did ok too , with RL 25 and the same ELDX bullet .
Two 3 round groups on the bottom target is the Kimber , top target is the Savage .

IMG_2723.jpgIMG_2726.jpgIMG_2722.jpg

CRJR45

WKR
PS , putting my off hand on top of the scope and holding the rifle was the game changer , I think . I used my bipod and a rear bag , and leaned into the gun a little more .

Sled

WKR
My Kimber Hunter .280AI did much better today , thanks for all I've learned on this post and others on Rockslide .
I changed loads , went with CCI LR BR2 primer , 57 gr's of RL19 and ELDX bullet . Also went with a different target .
My Savage 7mm RM did ok too , with RL 25 and the same ELDX bullet .
Two 3 round groups on the bottom target is the Kimber , top target is the Savage .

View attachment 480281View attachment 480282View attachment 480283
That's good enough for hunting. Glad you got it worked out.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Those are some nice groups! Great shooting! I say that’s plenty accurate there CRJR45
PS , putting my off hand on top of the scope and holding the rifle was the game changer , I think . I used my bipod and a rear bag , and leaned into the gun a little more .

Great lightweight gun form shooting advise also … much appreciated

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is the Kimber hunter pro in 6.5cm cut and threaded at 17". Though I wouldn't buy it again, it suits my kid just fine. He's been able to deal with the nuances since he's new to shooting and just learned how to work that rifle.
Sled, Why wouldn’t you do it again? Run into some issues?

IdahoBeav

WKR
I have a Hunter in .308. I'm a big M70 fan, and this Kimber action is a great copy. The rifle is a great shooter. I've never had a mag issue, but the stock is not ideal for long range shooting.

I also have a CA in .280 AI. It's a good rifle, too, but as you mentioned, it wasn't cheap. However, Sportsman's is currently doing 20% off.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
Sled, Why wouldn’t you do it again? Run into some issues?

I had feeding and cycling issues when not being aggressive with the bolt. I'm not a huge person but the gun felt like a toy to me. The scope needed tall rings for bolt cycling and proper eye alignment on the scope. Fortunately my 12 yr old, now 13, can deal with those better than me.

Precision was reasonable with most loads .75" or less for 3 shot groups. It's a specific purpose tool for me. In hindsight I would have picked up a fieldcraft or built my own. For the cost, if you get a good one, they're a decent deal.

Despite decent groups, the bore looked like it was well used when it was new. I had already cut and threaded prior to bore scoping or it would have been replaced under warranty.

hunterjmj

WKR
Bought my wife a Kimber hunter 84M in 6.5 cm 2 years ago and she shoots it well out to 300 yards. She doesn't want to shoot further so beyond that I don't know. She loves it, it shoots lights out to 300 and it's light. I put a leupold 3-9x40 with Talley rings and a spartan gunsmith adapter for the javelin bipod. She shot an antelope with it last year @ 250 yards and I shot an antelope @ 300 yards this year with it. Great little rifle and I'd buy another.

Trackselk

WKR
One thing to consider. Looks like the pro has a completely different stock (mentions fiber), so I don't think you can drop the "free" 8 ounces of gel out of it. If my math is correct, looks like you can have the plain hunter 13 ounces lighter for zero cost. If you are a weight weenie like me...

Gone4Days

WKR
One thing to consider. Looks like the pro has a completely different stock (mentions fiber), so I don't think you can drop the "free" 8 ounces of gel out of it. If my math is correct, looks like you can have the plain hunter 13 ounces lighter for zero cost. If you are a weight weenie like me...
I have a pro and removed the gel from my rifle. There was 8oz of gel in the rear of the stock, but there was no gel in the grip portion. 2216575F-6804-4F86-9D11-8FB0CB7EC4DB.jpeg

Hello! Looking for a lightweight hunting rifle. Been thinking hard on the Kimber hunter due to two main factors… 1. Relatively affordable of a higher end production rifle and 2. It’s nearly the lightest of the production rifles available

Seems to be not a lot of positive feedback on the kimbers though. Mainly due to being cheap feeling stock, magazine issues, being finicky on load selection, and being hard to shoot since they are so light. I’m considering the 280 ai.

If Tikka chambered a 280 ai I would go that route.

I understand that they had some production issues in the past and hopefully those have been fixed.

Most everyone seems to lean towards the Christensen arms but those are nearly double the cost. The new Mesa model seems a bit closer in price.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
If you don’t plan on anything aftermarket on the kimber, I don’t see a reason to not go that route, I had one and have been around a few more and I have not seen one that didn’t shoot really well, mine wasn’t picky at all.

I don’t know why they don’t get more attention, I think they are a great rifle for the money. I wouldn’t hesitate buying another… I would have bought another if they still made them in 25/06.

The stock didn’t bother me, and fit better than tikka stocks (for me)

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Great information!

Would you all say that the Montana is worth the extra 500-700 over the Hunter or Hunter Pro? I believe the only difference being the stock? The Pro does have the threaded barrel and muzzle brake which may be nice on the 280 ackley that I would like to purchase.
I currently have the opportunity to purchase a used Montana in a 280 ackley for 1100 plus tax. Has around 140 rounds down it and comes with MBM mini brake and Talley scope rings. Shoot I purchase or go with the new Pro? Any thoughts?