Kimber Hunter opinions

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Hello! Looking for a lightweight hunting rifle. Been thinking hard on the Kimber hunter due to two main factors… 1. Relatively affordable of a higher end production rifle and 2. It’s nearly the lightest of the production rifles available

Seems to be not a lot of positive feedback on the kimbers though. Mainly due to being cheap feeling stock, magazine issues, being finicky on load selection, and being hard to shoot since they are so light. I’m considering the 280 ai.

If Tikka chambered a 280 ai I would go that route.

I understand that they had some production issues in the past and hopefully those have been fixed.

Most everyone seems to lean towards the Christensen arms but those are nearly double the cost. The new Mesa model seems a bit closer in price.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Unckebob

WKR
My 243 is scary accurate (not just for a lightweight gun) for a hunting rifle. The action is smooth and the lightweight stock is easy to point and relatively stiff.

The only thing I don't like about it is I didn't get a long action version.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Unclebob, So no issues with the kimber hunter and it shoots and handles well! that’s good info to know. What kind of accuracy are you getting?
Thanks

Love my hunter in 270. Almost sold it after two trips to the range, sent it back to be checked by kimber. Was verified sub-moa by them. Did a lot of reading on proper form for shooting a light rifle, and now it’s incredibly accurate. Took some getting used to though.

sargent

WKR
I have a Kimber Hunter in .308. It shoots well. It has been a dream to carry (empty rifle and scope weigh 6#) and I killed an elk with it on its maiden hunting trip. If weight is a determining factor, I would definitely recommend the Kimber Hunter with some modifications found in this thread

Unckebob

WKR
Unclebob, So no issues with the kimber hunter and it shoots and handles well! that’s good info to know. What kind of accuracy are you getting?
Thanks
The last time I took it to the range, I got 1/2" three shot groups. I don't do 5 shot groups with it because the lightweight barrel gets heated up easily. Shots 4-5 will open up. Since I cannot image shooting 5 shots at a deer, I don't care.

The thing I most like about it is it's cold bore accuracy. The first shot is always dead on target.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like the no issues in the accuracy department with some practice and proper form shooting with a light rifle.

The carrying weight is one of my main concerns next to accuracy. After all one does more carrying than shooting.

sargent

WKR
I've also noticed that the first shot always seems to be the best with mine. The Hunter's weight is hard to match for a "budget" lightweight, especially if you pull the gel from the stock.

The Hunters are sweet rifles I dont think you will be unhappy I havent messed with the 280AI but the 308s shoot good

SBFD63

FNG
I've spent some time contemplating in your same situation. I went to about every forum on the internet. Everyone who didn't own one knew some one who had problems. Most who owned one liked it. I decided I'm buying this winter. They fit me well , are light and in 308 should be a fun carry rifle.

Good luck.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
I was between a Kimber Hunter, Savage lightweight, and Tikka T3 Superlite, and I ended up with the Kimber in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's insanely light for the price point, easily 1 moa when you figure out what load the gun likes, and an all around great buy.

I think the accuracy issues you've heard about has more to do with people having zero clue how to shoot a lightweight rifle, along with not understanding that the barrel is pencil thin and needs to cool down after 3 shots. If you plan on shooting this rifle a ton at the range, you're going to be very disappointed.

I love the stock for what it is. It's very rigid and doesn't feel like a tupperware stock.

I've never had any magazine issues. I believe this was a problem for the very early rifles that has since been fixed.

I was able to adjust my factory trigger down to insanely light, which helped a ton with accuracy. I haven't been able to put a trigger pull gauge on it, but i would guess it's in the 8-12 ounce pull weight area.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so between the Hunter FDE and the Hunter Pro which one do you recommend and why? The stocks Are both plastic stocks just a different color. Looks like the main difference between the two would be the brake on the pro. Price difference is about 45 bucks or so. Don’t think I would use the Brake while hunting though but nice to have for load development I guess.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
ttucci16,
Yeah was planning to use more as a dedicated carry hunting rig. The most shooting it would see is during load development.

I have been eyeing the Hunter Desolve Blak in 280ai for a while, just wish I could find them in stock to handle them. Once I do get hands on one though and if I like the way it feels it'll probably come home with me.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d like to get one in 6.5 and get it threaded, shorten then barrel a bit, get the gel outbid the stock and end up with a lightweight 6.5.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve got one and can report it’s accurate and I smile every time I carry it. I wouldn’t worry too much about the accuracy department.

Sled

WKR
Mine is the Kimber hunter pro in 6.5cm cut and threaded at 17". Though I wouldn't buy it again, it suits my kid just fine. He's been able to deal with the nuances since he's new to shooting and just learned how to work that rifle.