Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor - Let the Project Begin!

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
^ I must have missed the detachable mag thing or are you talking the factory mag? I was thinking would be nice to have something that held more than three rounds
Yes, just the flush fit factory mag for me (not that there is anything else for these). I really wouldn't like carrying anything that extended below as the rifle is carried in my right hand under the balance point about 90% of the time...note where the paint is worn down!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup- own one :) I thought maybe someone came out with a 5 rounder or some such thing/ guy can hope :)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice!

do you store the rear sight and then attach after the scope/rings are removed?

how difficult to remove the scope with detach mounts?

I think it would be handy to have iron sights if a scope were to ever break on a multi-day hunt :)

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Nice!

I think it would be handy to have iron sights if a scope were to ever break on a multi-day hunt :)
Yes, my plan when I hunt with the scoped rifle is to keep the rear sight stashed n Ziploc in my pack for backup.

The scope attaches and detaches very easily with the integrated arms. I'll try to post a picture of the other side for reference. The xs sight just needs a flathead screwdriver which I always have in my multitool while out hunting.

Handiness is the name of the game with this rifle!

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Nice!

Qd rings:
20210114_203043.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
me too! :)

Tally has some qd mounts and also a peep site that slides over their bases, still would have to figure out a front sight though

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
me too! :)

Tally has some qd mounts and also a peep site that slides over their bases, still would have to figure out a front sight though
I looked hard at the Talley setup, but the total cost would have been significantly higher and their peep sight is not elevation adjustable. Very clean looking though.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
true, it's not

I just looked at the XS and see it is; appears the peep is threaded and screws down/up- good idea

I do like that the Talley uses a thumb screw to attach, but like you I always have a small multi-tool with

I really like Brockman's little peep too, it's always attached and simply pops up when the scope is removed- Midway used to carry them, but no longer- his site leaves a little to be desired on how to order one (or if they are even still available)

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
I do like that the Talley uses a thumb screw to attach, but like you I always have a small multi-tool with.
I'm not sure of the details, but someone on another forum switched the xs screw out for thumb nuts on their xs sights.

Here's a couple screenshots:
Screenshot_20210115-062717_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210115-062701_Chrome.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
are they interchangeable? the Hunter uses a removable magazine, the Montana a blind magazine

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
should work then

my guess is the Hunter stock with gel removed is going to weigh about the same as the Montana stock

Usi05

WKR
Man I’ve been on the fence about selling my hunter with my scope to fund a montana or buying montana stock and sticking it on hunter and figuring out rest later.

This has made me totally rethink that. I think I’m going to paint my stock as you folks did. No need to pull out gel as I probably can shave some weight just by changing scope.

I bought it last year to be my mountain gun since I have a killer deer rifle but I have been bored not shooting it since I archery hunted this year.

Sounds like a good project before deer season hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Man I’ve been on the fence about selling my hunter with my scope to fund a montana or buying montana stock and sticking it on hunter and figuring out rest later.

This has made me totally rethink that. I think I’m going to paint my stock as you folks did. No need to pull out gel as I probably can shave some weight just by changing scope.

I bought it last year to be my mountain gun since I have a killer deer rifle but I have been bored not shooting it since I archery hunted this year.

Sounds like a good project before deer season hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad this thread is still encouraging guys to build up an affordable featherweight mountain rifle! Excited to see what you come up with.

I finally got mine out last Monday to sight it in with the ghost ring backup sights as well as the Warne QD rings. Both are a great setup, but I'll tell you, the 5lb version bucks a good bit. Not overly punishing, but I definitely felt it after 25rds. Looking forward to finding a deer track in a couple weeks!

Last edited: