Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor - Let the Project Begin!

Usi05

WKR
Well after failing to find a reasonably priced montana stock and getting a 600+ dollar quote from kimber to install a montana stock, I may add a bit of epoxy to stiffen it.

I painted very similar to @BigWoods and @ChrisAU and it looks good.

If I had bought a different caliber than .308 I would shorten it but don't really want to lose any velocity.
Very tempted to pull gel and replace with XPS foam or something but worry the rifle will balance awkwardly.

If I decide to add a bit of epoxy to stiffen it up it may be something to offset.

After purchasing (During Covid so limited ammo) I shot Hornady (maybe 150's?), Nosler 165's and Sig 165's and Sigs shot the best for me so I bought a few boxes but now cabelas near me has a ton of .308 ammo so I am going to stock up and see if i can find a better factory round.

Going to see if I can track down that guy at 24hourcampfire for the upgraded bolt handle.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well after failing to find a reasonably priced montana stock and getting a 600+ dollar quote from kimber to install a montana stock, I may add a bit of epoxy to stiffen it.

I painted very similar to @BigWoods and @ChrisAU and it looks good.

If I had bought a different caliber than .308 I would shorten it but don't really want to lose any velocity.
Very tempted to pull gel and replace with XPS foam or something but worry the rifle will balance awkwardly.

If I decide to add a bit of epoxy to stiffen it up it may be something to offset.

After purchasing (During Covid so limited ammo) I shot Hornady (maybe 150's?), Nosler 165's and Sig 165's and Sigs shot the best for me so I bought a few boxes but now cabelas near me has a ton of .308 ammo so I am going to stock up and see if i can find a better factory round.

Going to see if I can track down that guy at 24hourcampfire for the upgraded bolt handle.
Create syntactic foam. Basically, mix micro balloons with epoxy to creat an ultra light filler that will stiffen the stock. (Use a respirator when working with micro balloons).

This gives a little more information. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/my-kimber-montana-tinkering.185233/post-1819448

Usi05

WKR
Two questions:

1) best way to remove bolt handle to install new one?

2) say a guy, hypothetically misplaced rear action screw when he disassembled to paint stock. Easiest way to replace?

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Two questions:

1) best way to remove bolt handle to install new one?

2) say a guy, hypothetically misplaced rear action screw when he disassembled to paint stock. Easiest way to replace?
For #2 - Call Kimber up and ask for a new one. They were really good with me when I asked them.

Usi05

WKR
5b223686dab84f07a6a26863420e5433.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would anyone happen to have their pistol grip cap off to take some measurements?

I lost mine last year (evidently didn't have it epoxied well enough) on the side of a mountain. Called Kimber to get a replacement cap- told me they could sell me a new stock- WTF???

I have someone who does 3d printing and think with the right measurements they can make me one

Thanks!

Usi05

WKR
Would anyone happen to have their pistol grip cap off to take some measurements?

I lost mine last year (evidently didn't have it epoxied well enough) on the side of a mountain. Called Kimber to get a replacement cap- told me they could sell me a new stock- WTF???

I have someone who does 3d printing and think with the right measurements they can make me one

Thanks!

I haven’t taken mine off but I could give you the measurements of it attached to stock if you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti151

WKR
I hate you all, and love you at the same time. Somehow just stumbled upon this thread and am now searching for a hunter in either 7-08 or 6.5

jpndave

FNG

Thanks!

I may be able to get a 3d scan for you. Might be a minute but hopefully. 🤞🏼

We did a scan of my bottom metal then printed it and bolted it up. Was pretty cool to see that happen. This is the printed bottom "metal". Didn't totally clean it up just a test case anyway. Working towards lightweight 7068 or 7075 maybe even titanium w/a better box.

Tripod Davros new.jpg
Original
20210430_072238.jpg

Gone4Days

WKR
I removed the gel today in my Hunter Pro. A quick note, my stock in Disolve Blak did not have the gel in the grip section. I popped off the cap and it was hollow. I am down to 6 1/3 lb scoped (NF SHV 3-10)

Attachments

• 9E1D57D0-16E9-4F6E-A82C-F74DACBA3B5D.jpeg
    9E1D57D0-16E9-4F6E-A82C-F74DACBA3B5D.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 5B594121-A3B7-402B-BB11-0720713D588E.jpeg
    5B594121-A3B7-402B-BB11-0720713D588E.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 49