Kimber Hunter Alternatives?

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Are there any other options for a sub 6lb rifle for under $1k besides the Kimber Hunter? I wish it was available in 6mm....

OP
Cannonball

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Why not just buy a Kimber Hunter? They are great rifles.
Likely will just seeing if there are any other options. I have a light 7prc (7.25lb complete) and was thinking an even lighter 6CM (low recoil) would be great for backcountry and for the kids. It looks like Kimber is only chambering the hunter in 6.5CM and .308 now. A used one in .243 may be an option or just the 6.5CM

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't realize Kimber cut vastly back on the calibers it was offered in- I want to say it was chambered in 6-8 callers previously.

I wonder if it was cutting into their sales of their more expensive rifles?

I do see some listings for new .243 Hunters

The Howa superlite comes in 243 now but it's listed as a 10twist,if they were 8 twist I would buy one.

OP
Cannonball

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up with a hunter pro in 6.5CM and she's sub 6lbs complete. Removed the gel in the stock (8oz) and the grip was empty already. DNZ mount/rings and an old sightron for the time being while the SWFA ultra lite is backordered

3694D826-088B-4E87-8A7F-12426211807B.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Cannonball

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
What caliber? And what do you think about it so far? I have had my eye on a pro model.
6.5CM. Pretty cool little gun it feels almost toy-like its so light. The stock definitely has some flex in the foregrip. The action doesnt feel sticky but is a bit loose/sloppy feeling. I havent shot it yet so that will be most important determining factor on my opinion of it.

Wapiti1

WKR
Howa is producing a very light one right now. Its not going to be as well built as that kimber model.
Curious what differences you would point to that make the Kimber more "well built"? I have lots of mileage with both brands, but not these models. What on the Howa is lacking?

Jeremy

Gen273

WKR
6.5CM. Pretty cool little gun it feels almost toy-like its so light. The stock definitely has some flex in the foregrip. The action doesnt feel sticky but is a bit loose/sloppy feeling. I havent shot it yet so that will be most important determining factor on my opinion of it.
Thanks, please give us an update after you shoot it.

Curious what differences you would point to that make the Kimber more "well built"? I have lots of mileage with both brands, but not these models. What on the Howa is lacking?

Jeremy
The howa superlight was built off an in between action between the mini and 1500. Not as tried and true. when I looked up some feedback on it and possibly getting one seemed it had some kinks to work out. maks sense as it's an all new action but google howa superlight.

Just picked up a Montana myself, still gotta get out to shoot it before season starts and see how she does!

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider

Jeremy
Fit and finish. They're in 2 different classes IMO. The superlight action is “gritty” feeling. Its not smooth by comparison but it works fine. It could be better, it could be closer to their other stuff or that kimber.
The stock is so-so. The action obviously fits in the stock but its not a great fit, not as good as it could be, fits real tight in some spots. Some guys reported having to file on it in spots around bolt handle. I believe that. It seems like it would be an easy thing for them to dial in better. I had one the nut on swivel stud rattled loose inside the stock. I had to epoxy it, easy fix, but it shouldn't happen.
Howa currently does a better job on their other stuff. Idk why they couldnt do that here.

Unckebob

WKR
Likely will just seeing if there are any other options. I have a light 7prc (7.25lb complete) and was thinking an even lighter 6CM (low recoil) would be great for backcountry and for the kids. It looks like Kimber is only chambering the hunter in 6.5CM and .308 now. A used one in .243 may be an option or just the 6.5CM

I no longer really need a 243 and should probably sell my Hunter, but it is so light, accurate (3shot groups), and handy that I have never been able to let go of it.

Someday it will happen, but it is the rifle I'll be taking in November on a deer hunt.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ended up with a hunter pro in 6.5CM and she's sub 6lbs complete. Removed the gel in the stock (8oz) and the grip was empty already. DNZ mount/rings and an old sightron for the time being while the SWFA ultra lite is backordered

View attachment 608589
Those are cool guns, I looked at one in a shop when I was on a trip a few months ago, it was hard to not bring it home.