Kimber 84 Hunter Models- what’s in the stock

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
What is the hardened gel stuff inside the Kimber Hunter Stock? I bedded an 84L the other day and (unrelated) took off the recoil pad, noticing a filler in the butt stock. What is it, and can it be removed easily to save some weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RepeatPete

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what material it is, some kind of gel. It can definitely be removed, and seems to be around 8.5 ounces in the buttstock and the grip. Most have removed it via scraping around the gel and stock interface with a butter knife or equivalent, and then using a large screw to screw into the gel to be able to pull it out.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider

OP
onlybrowning

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
Just removed the gel. Thank you for the help! Seems crazy to me this was what they decided on. It’s a super lightweight rifle…and now a lot lighter than it was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
onlybrowning

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
@onlybrowning what did you do for your bedding job and did it make a difference? I think I probably need to do mine
I used JB Weld to bed the action, just like I've done with others. I really never shot it much before, maybe a couple 3 shot groups just to "zero it" with factory ammo and all was fine. I haven't shot it since I bedded it. I guess I am confident it wouldn't hurt the accuracy, so I decided to bed it when I had it apart to be Cerakoted.

Trackselk

WKR
And drill a million holes, got mine down to
Within 1.5oz of the lightest stocks out there (MPI). I would keep the forend about 3" longer though, and no holes around the action/magazine. I went a little crazy, so I'm making another one, might be 1 oz heavier...
1000000531.jpg

I love that Swiss-cheese Kimber Hunter stock. Each time I see it, I'm reminded of Patrick Smith's first Rambling Rifle on the Remington 600. That man was ahead of his time. I have a Hunter stock in the garage I just might start whittling on.

The story behind the gel could go something like this: they designed the Hunter stock too light. Something was needed to bring weight above the higher-end rifles with higher-end stocks. Or maybe it was to deaden the sound. That's plausible too.

1724869105282.png