Kifaru

Mike gil

FNG
What would be the Best pack for 5+ days Backcountry but can also be used as day or over night pack

Bunkin

FNG
I just ordered the reckoning. My specs were the same as yours.

I cannot speak to it personally, but based on hours of research and 3-4 phone calls to them thats what I decided on. My second choice was the Hoodlum. I just ended up deciding it was a bit too big for what I wanted.

OP
Mike gil

Mike gil

FNG
I just ordered the reckoning. My specs were the same as yours.

I cannot speak to it personally, but based on hours of research and 3-4 phone calls to them thats what I decided on. My second choice was the Hoodlum. I just ended up deciding it was a bit too big for what I wanted.
Ok awesome and thanks man that's definitely what I'll be going with one of my buddies is telling the same thing!

prm

WKR
Reckoning has a shelf. Not as easy to access as others such as Nomad or Stryker. I don’t recall the details, but had to fiddle with load lifters if I recall. The Stryker is very easy to use.

I use the Woodsman with a spotting scope pocket on either side. For day hunts, I leave the spotting scope pockets off. When I am going in for more than a couple days and cannot fit everything into the Woodsman, i fill a spotting scope pocket on each side with sleeping gear and food. When I reach wherever I'm setting up camp, I remove the spotting scope pockets with the gear and food in them. 90% of my hunts are less than 3 days so this works great for me.

I have the MR Marshal and have been very happy with it. It has the meat/overload shelf. I haven't had to use it yet! Hopefully this year it will be put to use.

Scrappy

WKR
How about packing out with meat is there a meat shelf capability with the fulcrum?
Yep it has a meat shelf but I haven't ever used it. I just through a garbage bag in on top of whatever gear I have in the main bag and slide the meat sacks in. 493.jpeg

bsnedeker

WKR
Every Kifaru pack has the ability to put the meat between the frame and bag. It may not have a "shelf" which is just a small piece of fabric, but I find that completely unnecessary. I run an old-school Argali and have packed out multiple animals between the bag and the frame. Just tighten the lowest compression strap before throwing the meat in and it will keep the load higher on your back.

As far as the bag you should choose you should figure out how you like to carry your gear. Are you "a place for everything and everything in it's place guy"? If so you should go with something like a reckoning that has lots of pockets and whatnot so you can organize things in the pack. If you are like me and just like to throw your crap in a bag and go you should get something simple like an Argali (I believe someone is selling on in the classifieds right now) and throw a lid on it and call it good.

I started out with a Crater and found that I never used the pocket on the side or the zipper on the main bag, I just always went in through the top so I "downgraded" to an Argali and couldn't be happier.

Another happy Reckoning owner here. I love the full length zip. I still wouldn't call it "organized" though. If you like pockets galore go with something that works better with their pouches. I like running the reckoning stock, other than a guide lid. Keeps things super simple, and I have plenty of ultralight pullouts that let me organize. I've done 8 days in the back country, with no problems.

JMDavies

WKR
I like the fulcrum due to its ability to go from 1,800 to 7,+++. Pack in for 7 or more days with the option of using it as your day pack is what sold me.

The AMR has been the best all around bag I’ve found to date.

DT1 comes in a close second but the AMR will cinch down flat leaving just the two back pockets for day hunting gear then opens up to haul anything I’m man enough to try and carry out of the field. No need for multiple bags when the AMR (or DT1) does it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk