Kifaru Warranty Not What It Used To Be

renagde

WKR
Anyone else deal with Kifaru's warranty service recently? I bought a Bedlam bag off a forum member. It was brand new, never been used when I bought it, I mounted it on my frame and went one two hikes unloaded. Just found out the zipper is separating from the seam. I didn't think it would be a big deal as it was brand new and just bought this spring. I emailed Kifaru right away and was told that because I am the second hand owner, there is no warranty to cover that. I completely get not wanting to have a lifetime warranty for any owner (although I know of lots of outdoor companies that offer that) but a brand new bag that is clearly a manufacturing defect? I've dealt with Stone Glacier and Exo and know both would have covered that without blinking. Hell, Osprey covers pretty much any damage to any owner at any point for any reason. Am I expecting too much? I have tons of Kifaru gear and paid a premium for it but not sure that the name deserves commanding a premium if this is the product they're putting out. Seems to me like times have changed...

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Doesn’t shock me from what we keep hearing this year, seems like this is their new way to do business, guess they feel there are enough customer’s it’s ok to lose some.

I won’t be shocked if they go overseas with manufacturing at some point other then for military contracts, guess time will tell.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Send me a message with some pictures. I can get one of my sewing machine operators to fix it up for ya.
Standup offer, I appreciate it. It’s already on the way back to kifaru. It’s not going to cost much to fix it, $10-15 so it’s not a big deal. Just a change in the customer service that I’ve received in years past.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Want the warranty buy new from them.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2024 using Tapatalk
Definitely will make me think twice about buying used. I have nothing against Kifaru, it's just different service than I've received in the past. Hoping that's not indicative of the direction the company is headed. Also hard to buy new products from them when they're always out of stock...

pirogue

WKR
It makes sense to me that Kifaru would warranty to the original buyer....but not when its resold.

At some point a company has to draw the line....this seems reasonable to me that the warranty stops after the initial buyer.
Exactly. Way it’s been for most things, over the years.

Same story here. Bought a second hand but spanking new duplex frame. On my first carry with a 60lb sandbag, the load lifter tore from the top of the stay. (my original kifaru duplex frame could hold 100 +lbs by a single shoulder strap)...Despite offering to pay for its repair, I was told a) sorry kifaru cant fix this and b) heres a link for a new frame with no offer of discount. Total bummer and not at all the kind of thing I experienced with my first kifaru pack.