Kifaru vs exo k4 vs stone glacier

I'm in the market for a new do everything pack from day hunts to 7-10 day backpacking trips. What do ypu all recommend? I'd prefer one solid frame that will actually last and not break after a year or two of use.

Paulcobb

Lil-Rokslider
another big vote for exo! I don’t have any experience with kifaru but i’ve owned a couple stone glaciers. I feel the engineering, fit, and function of the exo’s can’t currently be beat. I’d also recommend opting for one of their bigger bags, the couple extra ounces are well worth the gains in space (even if not required often)

All great packs, a lot of it comes down to how you like your pack to lay out. If you like lightweight minimalist stuff stone glacier is the way to go. Kifaru has more custom add ons that make the pack extremely versatile for whatever situation you use it in. Of course the fit is very important each make fits everyone differently depending on your body type, if you have the opportunity to try on all 3 do so. I’ve run a kifaru the last 4 years and I absolutely love it, I have been kicking around the idea of getting a stone glacier though.

Tradchef

WKR
Whatever fits you best. I used Kifaru for a long time. Great bags and the frame is awesome. I keep my money locally these days and have used SG for a while. Fits me a lot better. Packed out lots of Mulies, whitetail, elk and bears and zero issues and zero complaints. I really dig the Exo company and they make solid gear. I’ve never tried one but I’m sure it’s quality. All three are tip top. You just need to get the frame and bag that works for your needs and don’t worry what anyone else tells you. Good luck on your choice🤙🤙🤙🤙

I'm in the market for a new do everything pack from day hunts to 7-10 day backpacking trips. What do ypu all recommend? I'd prefer one solid frame that will actually last and not break after a year or two of use.
They are all 3 great packs, all pretty different, pretty much have to pick one that you like the best if you can’t try them all on. I preordered a k4 and personally think the k4 will be the best money can buy for me, but all 3 companies have a large following, so I couldn’t say what will be the best for you

i doubt you'd find anyone that has used all 3 extensively. probably lots of greatest pack ever new shiny toy noise with the k4 anyways like with anything new and exciting that comes out. if you really want to be all sure order all 3 and load them up with weight. walk around your house and return the ones that don;t fit. it's expensive but packs are like boots, very subjective, or maybe you can find a rokslider close by to let you try? I I had an exo k2 then ordered a kifaru and stone glacier x curve and that;s how ended up with my my SG. the exo would slip with a load which is why i searched for something better. the kifaru was really nice but a little overkill and bulkier for my liking as i mostly dayhunt, the belt was my favorite though. carried a load much better than the exo but not quite as good as the SG for me. the SG xcurve fit me the best and held the load up the highest with the load sling which I thought really helped. belt wasnt quite as nice as the kifaru but the curved frame fit my curved back the best with a load. I'm happy with my purchase.

That info might not help as the k2 is outdated but maybe with the SG or kifaru but ultimately I think your best bet is to try all 3 somehow. You also wont always be wondering if you should have gotten something different when up late on the internet on rokslide lol

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
Try them all on. Each pack will fit guys differently. After trying badlands and mystery ranch, I ended up with a stone glacier. That was over 5 years ago now and I've love it! No reason to keep looking for me now.

bmart2622

WKR
Ive owned 4 Kifarus and 3 SGs. Kifaru frame to me is slightly more comfortable with heavy weight. I hate the Kifaru bags, the Sky 5900 is my all-time favorite bag. My next pack will be an Exo

OP
M
They are all 3 great packs, all pretty different, pretty much have to pick one that you like the best if you can’t try them all on. I preordered a k4 and personally think the k4 will be the best money can buy for me, but all 3 companies have a large following, so I couldn’t say what will be the best for you
How did you pre order? I'm leaving towards exo as it seems it has everything I want and nothing that I don't.

How did you pre order? I'm leaving towards exo as it seems it has everything I want and nothing that I don't.
At the sportsman show, but Steve said he was going to get a rokslide preorder a day or two before the official release, so it should be end of the month if I’m not mistaken.

If you haven’t read the k4 thread you should if leaning that way, tons of good info, right from Steve, Mark, and Jake, as well as several members here who have been using the k4 prototypes… will give you a very educated decision if that looks like the best pack for you, and if not, it’s always better to have as much info as possible.

I’m pretty excited to get this pack, more so than any pack I’ve bought, and I believe the k4 thread created that for me… it stays mostly on topic too😂

Sadler

WKR
I’ve never fully tested SG so I can’t speak to that. Training rucks is all I’ve done and it did fine there but they were on flat ground between 3-7 miles with 50ish lbs.

Kifaru is great, especially if you like to customize your bag, add lids and pouches made of different colors/camo/material. I’ve been using their packs since 2016 and have had no complaints. Very comfortable pack. Then ya got this new K4 that I was lucky enough to try last fall. Personaly I think it’s just as, if not more comfortable than the kifaru. They completely changed the waist belt and that was the reason I never liked the k3. I felt like it didn’t conform to my hips and the lumbar pad was too small. Then they changed it up completely and it feels a lot more like a kifaru hip belt which really conforms and hugs your hips with a big and thick lumbar pad that stays planted and doesn’t slide around. I’ll be buying a couple of their new and updated bags once they release them this month for sure. After using it throughout the fall I became a big fan of the simplicity of their packs so if you’re all about simplicity I’d go K4, if ya want to customize get the Kifaru. They’re both great and comfortable packs.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
i was debating similarly a few months ago but i've been pretty impressed by exo's transparency and commmunication about how they researched/tested the k4 (and posted on here about it). seems like everyone that's tested one has liked it, and i don't think the other pack makers do the same, could be wrong, but exo k4 will be the bag i purchase once available, geting the largest version as it'll be my long hunt bag, i have a MR popup i use for day hunts.

Vandal 44

WKR
I have used packs from all three companies you are asking about. My first high end pack was a Kifaru Duplex back in early 2000, I used it for many years sold that and purchased the Kifaru Bikini Frame, next the Duplex light frame. At one point I owned the Kifaru Duplex Light, EXO K-3 and the Stone Glacier EX-Curve. I have hauled out animals with all three trying to find the best pack for me and the type of hunting that I do. After it was all said and done I kept the Stone Glacier with the 5900 bag. I like Stone Glacier so much I purchased a second SG off Rokslide.

I am always trying to find the next best thing to make my hunts a little easier and more comfortable. I ordered the new EXO K-4 frame with the 5000 bag with hip belts. The verdict is still out on the K-4 as far as comfort. I will say that the design and function of the K-4 frame, 5000 bag lid and belt pouches is a home run.

I like the EXO Lid and their Belt Pouches so much that I put the EXO lid on the 5900 bag and the Belt Pouches on SG waist belt.

As someone said earlier in the thread finding the best pack comes down to the individual and how they hunt

10ringer

WKR
With all the K3’s hitting the classifieds that would be my choice. The 4800 is a simple, well laid out pack that handles heavy loads equal to my Kifaru but more comfortable in day mode. Buy all of them and see which one works best for you and resell the others for little to no loss. I could easily do 10 days in a Kifaru Reckoning or exo k3 4800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WyoArk

FNG
So, I live in the west and travel for work. I had a chance to visit all 3 headquarters in person. All 3 allowed me to pack 100 pounds of sand and hike a bit to get the feel loaded.

Kifaru, Exo, and Stone Glacier are all fantastic companies. It really was Nike and Addis, or Ford, Dodge, GMC. I believe packs come down to fit and personal need/preference.

All Three companies did a fantastic job of fitting me with the pack that they thought suited my body type and needs.

That being said; I went with the Stone Glacier Evo 6900 with the old Krux frame. The X-curve, just didn’t fit my back properly. I loved the Exo bag, however the softer pad slipped down my back under the heavy load. I really loved the versatility of the Kifaru system, but not having a dedicated meat shelf made the load sit low on my back.

After running the SG for a year. I can say that there are things I love and things I don’t love about my pack. I still love the way it handles the heavy load for me. Even though it’s a bigger bag, it will bivy in, no problem for a day pack.

I do not like the lid design when it’s not full. It always wants to slip down and flop around. It’s not a deal breaker, I just wish it was more stationary.

I don’t see me shopping for a new pack anytime soon. I am very pleased with my choice. I did Three heavy pack outs with the SG last fall, and it did a fantastic job. I also train most of the year with almost 90 pounds of sand in it. In other words, I have done hundreds of miles in my pack under heavy load. It’s holding up phenomenally!

However, If you told me you went with any of the above three companies, I wouldn’t argue with you. There isn’t a wrong answer here. It’s just what works best for you and your body.

Attachments

• F78E59D8-7B74-4846-A076-7245B4CBAFCA.jpeg
    F78E59D8-7B74-4846-A076-7245B4CBAFCA.jpeg
    761.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 8E4BE71F-F9D6-419A-B6E5-9899DBA8CEAF.jpeg
    8E4BE71F-F9D6-419A-B6E5-9899DBA8CEAF.jpeg
    462.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

sr80

WKR
ive been using SG for the passed couple years, and just recently got a K4. They've been my favorite pack to date. I really hope in their next frame design that they ad in some horizonal frame support like kifaru and exo. The barreling of their frame drives me nuts, the same as the duplex frame used to before they added that top horizonal brace. Its not as prominent with a load of gear as it is when an awkward load of quarters or training with sand bags or what have you. See the above right picture,. Also they need to make their belts more comfortable. In my option.

WyoArk

FNG
I agree with Sr80. The frame does indeed barrel with awkward loads. It’s not a negative for me. I have a very wide back, and the “barreling” contours to my back perfectly. I like the frame sucked into my back when I am loaded heavy and I am on steep terrain. Its all personal preference.

Last edited: