Kifaru Ultralight Pullouts - waterproof?

Vids

WKR
I'm looking at picking up some waterproof pullouts for gear organization, are these waterproof or at least water resistant?

I have a few items that I need to keep dry (clothing, first aid/survival kit). The webpage doesn't specify, but the fabric looks like it would be.

If they're not, any other suggestions for waterproof pullout bags?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
nope they arnt proof just resistant. the zipper and seams will leak. I use the Sea to summit dry sacks.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Worth checking out also is the OR 55 liter Dry bag. I use it as a liner if I know Im gonna get some good weather or crossing anywhere I could take a swim. :D

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
Yeah, I was thinking about Ziplocks as well...that would work for smaller items like my survival kit but not for clothing.

Mike7

WKR
If it is just rain you are worried about, I have never had water get into my Kifaru pullout after just a couple of days in the rain by just turning it upside down in my pack. OR makes a pullout with a waterproof zipper (seams still need to be sealed with the OR version), but it is a different shape than the Kifaru ones which are good for organization.

I have most of my stuff in pullouts, further organized by ziploc bags inside the pullout...and I have never had anything get wet in this fashion. My sleep system in the bottom of my pack is in a roll top dry sack though.

Other than the dry bags mentioned above which are good to throw extra clothing in, if hunting you could always line your pack with a contractor bag and throw all of your gear/pullouts inside of that....the contractor bag can then do double duty by being used to stuff meat bags in on the way out.

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
For starters I want some pullouts to organize things, but yeah rain is the main concern. Some don't need to be waterproof (kill kit) but some do (survival kit, clothes). I've gotten tired of drying out my survival kit every time it rains.

I was thinking of buying the assortment of ultralight pullouts if they were waterproof, but I'll probably buy a couple of those in the specific sizes I need and then get dry sacks for the others. I may just get the regular or mesh pullouts as well.

I've never had anything In them get wet, never went for a swim but they have been in my pack when it was soaked. My clothes go in a dry sack because I like the shape for a pillow.

Take-a-knee

Banned
Yeah, I was thinking about Ziplocks as well...that would work for smaller items like my survival kit but not for clothing.

For small non-consumables, breast-milk storage bags are the best thing I've found. My fire kit, some survival stuff and some med stuff goes into those.

You can fill a breast milk bag with water and toss it 10ft in the air over pavement and it won't burst.

dotman

WKR
For small non-consumables, breast-milk storage bags are the best thing I've found. My fire kit, some survival stuff and some med stuff goes into those.

You can fill a breast milk bag with water and toss it 10ft in the air over pavement and it won't burst.

Haha, I call BS as I dropped one the other day and lost an entire bag of liquid gold, thought my wife was going to kill me.

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
Haha, I call BS as I dropped one the other day and lost an entire bag of liquid gold, thought my wife was going to kill me.

Since my wife will be delivering our third child on August 6th this probably isn't the best time to swipe the breast milk bags for hunting pack organization. Never pick a dumb fight with a pregnant woman. :)

Problem partially solved last night: Dug through all our camping equipment and found one dry sack and several organizational pouches. It's a start and they're free. I'll pick up some others at some point, but a new Kifaru pack and some Sitka gear has dried up my slush fund this summer!

chopchop

FNG

I've been there.

Don't cry over spilt milk has a little different connotation in those situations. Both for her and for you after she kicks your butt. lol

Double check the seal, my man. Always double check the seal.