Anyone tried still hunting with a haversack instead of a backpack?

OP
M

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
Where we hunt (remote federal land, we camp backcountry for a week) hanging a deer in the field or back at camp is all the same, it’s cold and not getting taken to the trucks for a week anyway. If I kill a deer at night I’ll gut and hang it and come back for it after a morning hunt the next day. Works great and it’s drained by that time which is really handy!

tony

WKR
The satchel thing is big in the bushcraft world.

I keep telling you guys these are what you need:

(i have an older model listed for sale, hint)

jbs121s

FNG
I really like my Tuff Possum haversack, I would still suggest butt pack first. HPG buttpack is super nice.

87TT

WKR
OIP.AUM69OLT2z6XY1AjOjd9iQHaEI

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Only 1L of water for a full day? Do you carry a water filter? My every day elk "daypack" weighs in right at 15lbs and 8lbs of that is water......4L. I'll hunt most of September with that pack on and I hardly even notice that it's there......and it gets lighter with every drink. No frame sticking up to irritate me to no end, just a lightweight daypack. And I get the "come back to pack it out mentality". Hiking and covering a lot of ground is NOT one of my weaknesses. Hiking out and then coming back in with the frame pack is no problem. I'd much rather hunt all season with my daypack than with my frame pack when I only need the frame pack one day for packing........unless of course I'm packing in for a hunt. But I normally will only do that occasionally, maybe once a season for a couple days if I feel I need to.

Unckebob

WKR
Hunting fanny pack

That's pretty much what I use for Texas Whitetail hunting on private land from blinds scattered around the property. I use a turkey pack I picked up cheap at Cabelas. Something similar to this.

Contents - Rangefinder, multi tool, knife, first aid kit with tourniquet, water, snack, hand warmers, flashlight, gloves, phone, earbuds, ear protection + binos.

I hike to the blind well before dark or before sundown. Listen to podcasts and stay quiet until it is getting close to hunting time. Hike back to camp for lunch in between.

We use a UTV to recover any downed animals to take them back to the barn for processing and hanging.

Note: I am planning a much more challenging hunt in the West for 2025. I'll need a big pack for that.

Last edited:

Randle

WKR
What about a tenzig slingpack.?
More padding and be switched left or right carry . Some places i hunt less is great.
Dont mind the purse comment guys, this is the same crowd that want a tacticool bag to carry as a diaper bag.

Last edited: