KIFARU TUT PYRAMID - How bad ass is it?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's 100"s square, so 8' 3" squared.

It actually has more usable space than the Sawtooth.....I've spent a ton of nights in both.

Sorry, couldn't watch the video (yet). It's only 70sqft in space? That is tiny. I could swear that the previous thread claimed it was 10x10. How can you get 6'8" in height with such a little footprint?

K, watched the video. If that's 6'8", how tall are those guys?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've said that many, many times in the last couple of years.

Again, I'll answer any questions you guys have on the fabric.

I'm sure its very nice US-made silnylon with UV inhibitors and high hydrostatic head. For me they'd get more credit for simply saying so.

It is difficult to account for why something like the Tut is ~80% more expensive than comparable shelters from other companies who also sew things in house to a high standard. 8-10" more height and different side guypoints don't distinguish it that much.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's funny.....I thought I had Nate (out IT guy) pull all of that text off the website. It bothered me as well, so I'll make sure it gets taken off and a full description of the material gets added on.

I don't watch podcasts, so wasn't aware.

It would make a lot of sense to explain the fabric on the actual website, where they instead go to length explaining 'what it isn't'.

Anyway, it does look like a great shelter.

reaper

WKR
Look like a great shelter.This thing for solo hunt should be awesome!!!My thought when i saw it on the video was:too small or these guys are giant haha!,the height is good but overall its pretty small.The biggest negative point for me is the price,650$?well we have a lot of better choices for the ''tipi style'' shelters with square walls.Maybe it just the shelter for replacing the 4 man?

Overall i really like the design of it.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Vertex 6.5 is $550 and a little larger than the Tut. The material we use is $4 more (about anyway) than what they are using. The Tut takes about 12 yards to build, so that's a $48 difference with zero mark up in price.

When I ran the numbers during the design phase, we were $150 more (all things being equal) compared to the Ti Goat shelters.

Believe me when I say this..... WE WOULD LOVE TO USE A DIFFERENT MATERIAL THAT COSTS LESS, but until we find one that is close to what we are using now, we will keep using out current fabric, as it holds up better. That's not to say that the other materials don't work for a lot of users, but I feel it would do our customers an injustice by swapping, as they are use to the current fabric and changing horses in the middle of the river would cause serious customer service issues.
i guess I am a little confused... I love my Kifaru packs and would never recommend anything else to anyone... But when it comes to tipi shelters I feel like they are kinda over priced. My Ti Goat Vertex 6.5 has 1.5X the Sq footage, is as tall, 5 oz lighter, and the same price as the Tut. I have had ZERO issues with it and have used it a lot with and without a stove. I am not sure if the material is that much different or what, but I just don't see how the kifaru tipis are worth the extra cash and weight.

Joe

reaper

WKR
The Vertex 6.5 is $550 and a little larger than the Tut. The material we use is $4 more (about anyway) than what they are using. The Tut takes about 12 yards to build, so that's a $48 difference with zero mark up in price.

When I ran the numbers during the design phase, we were $150 more (all things being equal) compared to the Ti Goat shelters.

Believe me when I say this..... WE WOULD LOVE TO USE A DIFFERENT MATERIAL THAT COSTS LESS, but until we find one that is close to what we are using now, we will keep using out current fabric, as it holds up better. That's not to say that the other materials don't work for a lot of users, but I feel it would do our customers an injustice by swapping, as they are use to the current fabric and changing horses in the middle of the river would cause serious customer service issues.

NO do not swapp anything Kifaru,keep it original!!!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I try and get more photos of the inside of the shelter posted up, as it is a lot bigger than it must look to you guys.

We've slept two guys in the Tut and the Sawtooth side by side, and the Tut was preferred because of the usable space, weight savings and ease of pitch. .
Look like a great shelter.This thing for solo hunt should be awesome!!!My thought when i saw it on the video was:too small or these guys are giant haha!,the height is good but overall its pretty small.The biggest negative point for me is the price,650$?well we have a lot of better choices for the ''tipi style'' shelters with square walls.Maybe it just the shelter for replacing the 4 man?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We probably should have had little guys do the video, as Colton makes me look small (I think he's 6'3" and 220) and Frank is 6'1" and 200 lbs.

Grumman

WKR
Aron are you guys working on a nest for the Tut, and if so when will it will release. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reaper

WKR
Ya i guess its hard to see with only a video,when youre in there for real its the real test.Can't wait to see customers futur pictures\videos and reviews.

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

Aron,
If you get the chance it would be awesome to have pics of the tut and sawtooth with same setups inside. Stove, two bags, packs, weapon, wood pile, helinox chairs.
Also for a guy who will be doing a 50/50 split on solo and two man trips which would you prefer?
Thanks for your info.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Aron,
If you get the chance it would be awesome to have pics of the tut and sawtooth with same setups inside. Stove, two bags, packs, weapon, wood pile, helinox chairs.
Also for a guy who will be doing a 50/50 split on solo and two man trips which would you prefer?
Thanks for your info.
The idea behind the Tut was for exactly as you described ( and 3 in emergency situations), so the Tut for sure.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
We probably should have had little guys do the video, as Colton makes me look small (I think he's 6'3" and 220) and Frank is 6'1" and 200 lbs.

I guess so!! Needed Moffat midgets ;)

I think it will sell for sure!! Guess the two poles in the sawtooth really eat up the space to work around.....

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I guess so!! Needed Moffat midgets ;)

I think it will sell for sure!! Guess the two poles in the sawtooth really eat up the space to work around.....
Not just that, but you can pitch the side walls close to vertical, so the usable space (sleeping/sitting at the wall edge) is more user friendly.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
It is lighter and has more usable space.

Right on!! So does this spell the end for the sawtooth as if it's lighter and more space and everyone testing it prefferes the layout of the tut over the smaller heavier sawtooth why keep both products in the line up? As the tut seems clearly the winner it seems. Maybe sawtooth is going on a close out sale due to this new tent dethroning it?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Right on!! So does this spell the end for the sawtooth as if it's lighter and more space and everyone testing it prefferes the layout of the tut over the smaller heavier sawtooth why keep both products in the line up? As the tut seems clearly the winner it seems. Maybe sawtooth is going on a close out sale due to this new tent dethroning it?
Nope, the Sawtooth does much better in high wind and "some people like green cars and some like blue cars", so there's still going to be a high demand for both.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Good the hear!!! Or some people just like different shape cars with the same gorgeous tan/brown. ;)

Looks like another great product from Kifaru! A different tool for the tool belt!

If it has kifaru stamped on it, you can bet it has been tested hard and it's badass!

As far as price ...you get what you pay for!!

colonel00

WKR
Thanks for all the replies, Aron. I think the design looks really good overall. I'd just like to see it in a slightly bigger offering. When I had my SL5 my biggest gripes were that it was just a little too small (still 20sqft bigger than the Tut) and the door in the corner. While the door can be a design issue for sure, I really do like the doors on the Cimarron and two doors does make a difference on a smaller shelter. I'd love to see the Tut design in a slightly bigger offering if that's ever an option.