KIFARU TUT PYRAMID - How bad ass is it?

Becca, that nest looks much better then the one I have, who makes it? Mine has the peak at the front, like a wedge. It leaves the space towards the back too low to use.

As far as two side-by-side in the Tut, it's 50" from the pole to the sidewall (which can be pulled out to near vertical). So considering the average pad is 20" wide it should work.

Steve

I believe our current nest was made by Bearpaw wilderness designs. We previously used a duomid from Mountain Laurel designs, and it had a similar lay out as well.

Becca, that nest looks much better then the one I have, who makes it? Mine has the peak at the front, like a wedge. It leaves the space towards the back too low to use.

As far as two side-by-side in the Tut, it's 50" from the pole to the sidewall (which can be pulled out to near vertical). So considering the average pad is 20" wide it should work.

Steve

That nest you see in the pic there is the 52" wide model by itself (Pyranet 2 Standard nest from Bearpaw designs). As you can see we have roughly another foot before you get to the edge of the actual shelter which is a great place for storing gear and extra packs. Which is why I was questioning how much more usable room the Tut really has over the Cimmaron. Both are certainly great shelters no doubt.

Link to the nest:
Product Pyranet 2 Page

That nest you see in the pic there is the 52" wide model by itself (Pyranet 2 Standard nest from Bearpaw designs). As you can see we have roughly another foot before you get to the edge of the actual shelter which is a great place for storing gear and extra packs. Which is why I was questioning how much more usable room the Tut really has over the Cimmaron. Both are certainly great shelters no doubt.

Link to the nest:
Product Pyranet 2 Page

I'm going to try the half nest for the Luna 4 from BPW in my cimmaron. Another thing I noticed is the BPW nests are bigger yet lighter in listed weight. The Cougare is 25oz and the Luna 4 half nest is 15oz and has a center height of 64". I'll check to see how close it comes in to the listed weight.

Last edited:

Link to the nest:
Product Pyranet 2 Page

Luke, thanks for the info. I'm waiting to hear back from BPWD about a nest. Going by the specs the Cimmaron is only a couple of inches wider, not counting the center where it angles out. But of course that only matters if you snug it tight to the ground. The Tut is definitely not as big as the Cimmaron, but I went with the Tut because I don't need 2 doors, it's a little taller and lighter, and mostly due to the ease of set-up. My BCS used to make me a little nuts, I could never seem to get it quite right. It's a lot easier for me with the little brain power I have left, to work with a square shelter.

I just had one made by BPW. I gave him the specs I wanted for a half Pyramid nest and I had it in about a week. Some pics and specs in my Redcliffe thread.

Luke, thanks for the info. I'm waiting to hear back from BPWD about a nest. Going by the specs the Cimmaron is only a couple of inches wider, not counting the center where it angles out. But of course that only matters if you snug it tight to the ground. The Tut is definitely not as big as the Cimmaron, but I went with the Tut because I don't need 2 doors, it's a little taller and lighter, and mostly due to the ease of set-up. My BCS used to make me a little nuts, I could never seem to get it quite right. It's a lot easier for me with the little brain power I have left, to work with a square shelter.

Not sure whats easier to setup about any mid to setup than the other. Regardless if its Bearpaw Designs, Mount Laurel Designs, GoLite, Kifaru, Black Diamond, or Seekoutside all mids you simply stake out the 4 corners and put the pole in. Care to explain if you mostly choose the Tut based on the ease of to setup how its easier than any other mid?

The tut at 60 oz for everything vs a Cimmaron at 52 oz for everything (36 oz for canopy, 10 oz for carbon pole, and 6 oz for 12 MSR groundhog stakes) I am not sure its a little lighter either.

Like I said both are great shelters and I certianly think the Tut likely has superior fabric, but if I can get 5 years and 300 nights out of a China made Golite SL-5 all over Alaska with its only 15D silnylon I think the 30D from the USA made Seekoutside should last atleast that long ;)

Keep us posted how you like the Tut though when you use it. I am especially interested in how the condensation issue is when its rainy and humidity high and it pitch flush with the ground for a couple days.

Thanks for the pics as I think the Tut is a great addtion to the line. Just wish they'd make a Kifaru version of the GoLite SL-8 (10X20) shelter as the space/weight of those are impossible to beat and a Kifaru model would be especially awesome. We had 18 folks in it during the Packraft Rondy this year to wait out a down pour with the Kifaru large box stove going....

Shotgun, Is there enough room for you and the GF to sleep side by side? I'm trying to decide on the Cimmaron or the Tut. I need to know if either will allow my GF and I to sleep beside each other. The middle pole being in the way is my main concern.

Yes we can both sleep side by side in the nest. It's got room for 2, although the person sleeping the furthest in is really close to the sides.

Yes we can both sleep side by side in the nest. It's got room for 2, although the person sleeping the furthest in is really close to the sides.

Since that's the case, I think you're better off with the Cimarron. The Tut is taller, and I really like the way the design allows use of all available space, but the Cimarron definitely has more space between the center pole and the sidewalls. And you can always pitch the Cimarron taller, which will give you headroom and help with ventilation.

Take another look at the pic posted by Becca, you can see what I mean.

Steve

Too bad there is no liner for the Tut,i got the anwer in the Grittybowman and Aron hunt video talking about the Tut.I do understand than Kifaru want to keep it lightweight as possible.

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:
You could throw in the SeekOutside Redcliff into the mix. . . Larger than the Tut with lots of features the Sawtooth doesn' have.
Master Suite.jpg
20160731_190222.jpg

Last edited:
You could throw in the SeekOutside Redcliff into the mix. . . Larger than the Tut with lots of features the Sawtooth doesn' have.
View attachment 40654
View attachment 40655
Already have a SO 4 man with liner i like it but its heavy now...its hard to beat having 2 doors,sod skirt and liners.The Tut is for lightweight times i guess...a winter shelter maybe not well not for my location.

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

Back