Kifaru Sawtooth vs Seek Outside Cimarron.

Hey guys, I'm back again looking for some opinions on a shelters.

I was reading through an earlier thread and I discovered the Seek Outside Cimarron. Before I had discovered this shelter I had my heart set on buying a Sawtooth with an 18" smith stove. However once I got onto the Seek Outside website I say that the Cimarron was literally half the price of the sawtooth. Now I'm wondering is the sawtooth worth the extra money? I will be taking which ever I buy to the NZ west coast next may hunting tahr and possibly to CO to hunt elk.

I am a gear junkie and love to know the pros and cons of everything I look at purchasing and obviously it is a massive investment into the sawtooth (the conversion rate to Australian dollars makes it like $1600-$1700 for me), but if it is worth it I wouldn't have an issue in spending the extra money.

Keep in mind also that I am completely new to the whole floorless shelter thing so even the most basic of pointers will probably be new to me!

Thanks guys!!

OP
Aussie-bowman
Yeah but if the sawtooth is going to be that much more functional, durable etc then i wouldn't mind spending the money, also the seek outside one you have to pay extra for the stove jack which i didn't realise when i posted the initial thread. However still waaaay cheaper.

oldgoat

WKR
In that other thread, there was a guy that had both, shoot him a PM and ask him. I looked at the other brands and ended up going with Kifaru for a couple of reasons, big one is warranty and reputation. And the fact that I only live a couple of minutes away from the Kifaru factory where I can get help with warranty situations versus having to box it up and send it off made it a no brainer for me! Customer service is another huge thing, you are not going to get help from the other companies like you will with Kifaru, at least not that I know of! I've never really been a brand snob before, but I'm quickly becoming one for Kifaru.
I think the one guys testimonial about his Sawtooth in Alaska and the weather it stood up to is a good example of just how good this tent is!

I currently run the cinnamon as well as 2 of my buddies , Ive had the sawtooth it's an excellent setup as well but about a pound heavier. For ultralight backpacking we all love ours. But if you need stand up room I would go with the sawtooth. Can't go wrong with either. I just like the weight of the Cimarron better , and will do 2 guys with stove just fine.

I also might add the cinnamon has 2 doors so when it's real hot I keep them both open, nice feature. The only bad thing I have to say about the Cimarron is when it gets real wet the sides will droop around the bottom a little being how it's made with less seams and less stakes than a 4 man tipi.

OP
Aussie-bowman
I also might add the cinnamon has 2 doors so when it's real hot I keep them both open, nice feature. The only bad thing I have to say about the Cimarron is when it gets real wet the sides will droop around the bottom a little being how it's made with less seams and less stakes than a 4 man tipi.
Does it have tie off points higher up or just at ground level?

jbra

FNG
I'd be interested in hearing what the cimarron (pegs and pole) kit weighs as a complete package compared to the kifaru kit. I'm on the fence about these two shelter as well.

With carbon pole and stakes I'm at 3 pounds 10 ounces using the Msr ground hogs , with titanium stakes I'm a little lighter yet.

mlob1one

WKR
You will love going floorless. I have Seek Outside gear, but not the cimarron. I can tell you their customer service is very responsive too. They've helped me on more than one occasion with questions and special orders. Thankfully I haven't needed them for warranty work.😅

dotman

WKR
If I get to meet up with my buddy in MT I'll have my cimarron and he'll have his sawtooth, I'll post back what major diff I see and if I think they are or aren't worth it. Don't leave until Nov 6th and he may head home early so it may or may not happen for a comparison.

jbra

FNG
If I get to meet up with my buddy in MT I'll have my cimarron and he'll have his sawtooth, I'll post back what major diff I see and if I think they are or aren't worth it. Don't leave until Nov 6th and he may head home early so it may or may not happen for a comparison.

You need to make this happen!!!

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
For me it came down to size. I'm 6'6" and heard differing opinions on being able to fit in the Cimarron. As a result I went the route that I knew would work and that was as a Sawtooth. So far I'm very happy with it although I wish it was lighter.

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah but if the sawtooth is going to be that much more functional, durable etc then i wouldn't mind spending the money, also the seek outside one you have to pay extra for the stove jack which i didn't realise when i posted the initial thread. However still waaaay cheaper.

And when I was looking you had to buy the pole seperately as well. This put cost close to $500 USD with shipping which is no longer half the cost of a sawtooth.

OP
Aussie-bowman
Thats would be awesome if you could dotman! I would really appreciate that! Im at university but work as a forest firefighter over our summer (October-march) which pays fairly well. However I am really only just getting into backpack hunting so I am having to buy pretty much everything. I am one of those people that wants to just buy once and buy quality. but if i can save money then im all for that! I start back at work tomorrow so i won't be buying anything for a couple of months.

OP
Aussie-bowman
For me it came down to size. I'm 6'6" and heard differing opinions on being able to fit in the Cimarron. As a result I went the route that I knew would work and that was as a Sawtooth. So far I'm very happy with it although I wish it was lighter.
Im 5'10" and 170lb so fitting into most shelters isn't an issue for me which is good!

dotman

WKR
And when I was looking you had to buy the pole seperately as well. This put cost close to $500 USD with shipping which is no longer half the cost of a sawtooth.

I went with the REI pole for $25 that allows for a higher pitch and is only a 3oz penalty.

I was impressed with the sawtooth my brother used on our 3 week hunt. I am looking to buy one also but the price is steep. Really interested in hearing a comparison between it and the cimmaron.