Kifaru pack suggestions

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up a 24 inch duplex lite frame debating what pack to get. Thinking hellbender or 22 mag gen 2. 90% Texas whitetail hunts with a small possibility of going to NM or CO chasing anything I can draw a tag for. More than likely would base camp out of the truck in that instance. Mostly hanging in a saddle and I like the idea of sticking my platform between the frame and bag to keep weight close to my back. Def wanting to stay under 50l, just don’t need that space. Any feedback between the two?

For whitetail style hunting packing stands and sticks, I would recommend the Stryker xl/hellbender platform due to the easy access to a load shelf for carrying awkward items, if you needed more space for a future hunt you could get a camp bag for the load shelf section as well

I think the hellbender/stryker xl is a more versatile option

Another vote for the Stryker. I use the original Stryker for my saddle hunting stuff and packing out whitetails. Sometimes I wish I had more room in the bag so I bet the Stryker xl would be just right.

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I was starting to lean towards the 22 mag gen 2 with a Sherman because of how the lid opens. But I’ve read stuff about the Stryker being easier to access the load shelf. What’s hard about the 22 mag? Never laid eyes on one.

I was starting to lean towards the 22 mag gen 2 with a Sherman because of how the lid opens. But I’ve read stuff about the Stryker being easier to access the load shelf. What’s hard about the 22 mag? Never laid eyes on one.
Look them both up so you understand the difference before you buy, but access to the load shelf is vastly different between the two

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Look them both up so you understand the difference before you buy, but access to the load shelf is vastly different between the two
Finally found pics and understand. The only thing I need the load shelf for aside from after a kill would be sticking my saddle platform between the bag and frame. Not sure how coming in from the side would be on a 22 mag. Aside from the ease of access the layout of that one is similar to what I am used to and like. Just bigger with more possibilities.

Read1t48

WKR
If you are open to something different, an Exo K3 bag can be found on the classifieds for a good price and will fit that frame excellent. They have great bag design and fit the Kifaru frame fantastic.

DWinVA

WKR
I use the Stryker XL with a Sherman pocket for saddle hunting and packing out Whitetail. I don’t think there is a better solution. God Bless.

IMG_9540.jpeg

nightant

FNG
I have two of their packs. One big pack (EMR, not made any more) and a large day pack (Xing, similar to the 14'r). Will probably never buy a different brand again.

Marble

WKR
I have the Hellbender. I really like it. My two complaints are that it has lots of straps and the bag can shift back and forth when not loaded well or properly strapped.

It's a great packer. I like the water bottle pockets and the exterior pouch. When I hunt elk and/or the weather is cold, I either add the Sherman pocket or another pocket that I put my much in.

The Sherman pocket is handy to help carry my rifle when I want to strap it to my pack. I've done it without also.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

RS3579

WKR
Stryker XL for day trips. For longer trips away from base camp I use a 44 Mag. Both work well.

I believe they're coming out with a whitetail pack they worked with levi on sometime beginning of the year. May be something you're interested in.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up picking up a Stryker xl. I liked the way the 22 mag opens more but it looked super narrow and I didn’t care for that. May pick up a Sherman eventually.

I ended up picking up a Stryker xl. I liked the way the 22 mag opens more but it looked super narrow and I didn’t care for that. May pick up a Sherman eventually.
I will say, for what you’re doing, you picked the right bag, it will be more user friendly than the 22mag for what you’re doing. The Stryker xl is a great bag for what you’re doing, you’ll like it

A grab it makes it even more versatile if you decide to add one, but it does make it look like your pack is wearing a diaper, but it didn’t bother me because it was very handy