Kifaru Minikeg

cohunter1996

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

Looking for a (1) do it all pack for hunting, traveling & back country skiing. Minikeg looks like it might fit the bill.

I've bounced around other reviews on the minikeg here & there is some good information. Wanting to know if anyone has ever packed out meat with a minikeg, specifically an elk quarter?

strongarm

FNG
@cohunter1996
I have a Minikeg but no experience with packing quarters; I have a Kifaru Duplex Lite frame for that.

Proper answer to your question is going to be extremely dependent on your torso length. I have a long torso 20+” and use the Minikeg primarily for hiking. It carries weight like a dream for that use case with lower weights. That stated, the Minikeg would be rough for carrying elk quarters for someone with a similarly long torso to mine.

While I personally do get a marginal amount of “lift” with lighter weights, with heavier weights, that disappears. This still isn’t a problem for me for that context. If very heavy loads—particularly an elk hind quarter—it would be less than ideal, if not painful for someone like me with a long torso.

I have used my Minikeg from time-to-time for weighted pack training hikes (50# sand bag) and it takes it, but for me isn’t fun after mile 3 or 4. I use my 26” Duplex Lite frame almost exclusively now and it makes a huge difference; makes the load feel a significantly better.

The Minikeg will handle the weight, that’s a nonissue. If you have a shorter torso it’ll do it, but will never match the load carrying comfort of an external frame. If you have a long torso you’ll be disappointed with extremely heavy weight.

Just like tools in your toolbox, the one-pack-does-it-all approach is going to have some significant pros/cons for which you’ll have to gauge priority. The Minikeg is a fantastic pack and perhaps the one I’m strapping on my back most. But for my western hunting I’m always grabbing the Duplex Lite frame no matter what, again because of my torso.

• Banned
OP
C

cohunter1996

Lil-Rokslider
@cohunter1996
I have a Minikeg but no experience with packing quarters; I have a Kifaru Duplex Lite frame for that.

Proper answer to your question is going to be extremely dependent on your torso length. I have a long torso 20+” and use the Minikeg primarily for hiking. It carries weight like a dream for that use case with lower weights. That stated, the Minikeg would be rough for carrying elk quarters for someone with a similarly long torso to mine.

While I personally do get a marginal amount of “lift” with lighter weights, with heavier weights, that disappears. This still isn’t a problem for me for that context. If very heavy loads—particularly an elk hind quarter—it would be less than ideal, if not painful for someone like me with a long torso.

I have used my Minikeg from time-to-time for weighted pack training hikes (50# sand bag) and it takes it, but for me isn’t fun after mile 3 or 4. I use my 26” Duplex Lite frame almost exclusively now and it makes a huge difference; makes the load feel a significantly better.

The Minikeg will handle the weight, that’s a nonissue. If you have a shorter torso it’ll do it, but will never match the load carrying comfort of an external frame. If you have a long torso you’ll be disappointed with extremely heavy weight.

Just like tools in your toolbox, the one-pack-does-it-all approach is going to have some significant pros/cons for which you’ll have to gauge priority. The Minikeg is a fantastic pack and perhaps the one I’m strapping on my back most. But for my western hunting I’m always grabbing the Duplex Lite frame no matter what, again because of my torso.

I appreciate this detailed response! Exactly what I was looking for.. thank you