kifaru megatarp zipper mod???

sneek-ee

WKR
Just wondering if anyone has put a zipper on their megatarp?

I understand this will add some weight, but when using with the stove and not wanting to go in and out the annex side, I think a zipper would make it easier to go in and out...

Any recommendations? Is this do able?

Just wondering if anyone has put a zipper on their megatarp?

I understand this will add some weight, but when using with the stove and not wanting to go in and out the annex side, I think a zipper would make it easier to go in and out...

Any recommendations? Is this do able?

I agree a zipper would be great and not as loud.

OP
S

sneek-ee

WKR
Well I've decided I'm going go put in a zipper on the built in door side.. it'll be easier to use than the velcro to get in and out of. I dont plan on using the annex side to go in and out when running the stove.

I think I'm going to put in mesh for the bugs so I can leave the doors open in spring and summer for ventilation. But they'll be velcroed in so I can remove them once it gets cold enough the bugs are gone.

I'll have to update when I get it done.

unm1136

WKR
When this thread started, I was interested, and considering this for my Megatarp. Then I throttled back.

1. I don't camp on top of my hunting areas. Depending on species I am 100 yards or so away (turkey) to 1/4 to 1/2 mile away (deer/elk). The noise issue is.mitigated that way.
2. Most of my field time is below the timberline and spent in a hammock with an overcover. The one time I wanted a tarp while in a hammock rned my way of hanging a Megatarp would have turned a three sided shelter into a two sided shelter, since I ran my whoopie sling through the velcro. I was able to seal it back up with velcro, which I could not have done witha zipper.
3. Like many addictions I can't afford this mod monetarily, and since I am a cheap bastid I have lots of heavy stuff, and need to save ounces where I can...
4. I am still interested in this thread in case I am in a position where I deal with these issues and be able to have this done.

My needs may be different than yours, and needs drive the gear train.

pat

OP
S

sneek-ee

WKR
This has nothin to do with the noise factor to me.
Simply ease of use.. the zipper will be easier to get in and out of rather than. messing around with the Velcro.

My wife is going to sewing this up once I get the rest of the stuff to modify it with.

OP
S

sneek-ee

WKR
Alright, well my wife got around to sewing up that zipper on our megatarp a little while back and we were able to take it out recently!
Zipper is a YKK #10 Water Resistant Coil Zipper. Smooth and simple. Double sided so you can open from inside or outside!

I had her put one on bottom and top (a little extra weight) but it's super convenient.
I'll post up some pics

Ian

Lil-Rokslider
Where did you find the #10 zipper, I've been hesitant about the water proof being too stiff.