Kifaru Lost Park Parka: Gen 2?, Design change? Aron Snyder shout out.

Calling Aron Snyder, or any other Kifaru expert.

I just received my new Kifaru Lost Park Parka. Like all my other Kifaru gear..... the quality is superb, and this puffy is extremely warm. However, I'm disappointed in the design change and the website not reflecting it.

From a purely cosmetic point of view, the new sleeve design gives the jacket a very boxy look compared to the original raglan sleeve design. From a more important performance standpoint, the top seam is now exposed to allow rain to soak through faster than the raglan design which would roll off faster.

Thoughts? Reason for change?

Mine: notice the sleeve difference, gives it a even more boxier look when wearing, with exposed seams on top.
20170127_100355-1_zpshdxdlbmv.jpg

First generation release: Raglan style sleeve.
ParkaHL350.jpg

Last edited:
OP
D
Well....Son of a B.....

Didn't catch that when I received my new Parka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could care less on appearance (deer laugh at my hunting skills anyways)... but hunting in PA I get more rain than snow. I'm more concerned about the vertical seam allowing water to slow down and seap through instead of just rolling off with the raglan design.

I've sent an email to Kifaru, and posted this on their website. I'll update accordingly.... I'm neither mad, or disappointed. I'm still excited to get out and use this piece, I was just expecting the original design with raglan sleeves. I'm sure their customer service will make everything right.

OP
D
That would be pretty sweet Welpro222. I have a Beyond Clothing Alpha insulated jacket that the sleeves zip off which is very useful. I wish more companies made systems that let you customize the sleeves vs body of the jacket.

UPDATE: Aron emailed me, and I'm waiting to hear back from him if I have his permission to post the entire email word for word. But it basically came down to QC, and being able to make enough jackets to meet the demand, and price point that benefits the consumer.

I am keeping my jacket, and had no intentions of returning it. I was just curious if this was a permanent change, or error from post New Years parties!

That would be pretty sweet Welpro222. I have a Beyond Clothing Alpha insulated jacket that the sleeves zip off which is very useful. I wish more companies made systems that let you customize the sleeves vs body of the jacket.

UPDATE: Aron emailed me, and I'm waiting to hear back from him if I have his permission to post the entire email word for word. But it basically came down to QC, and being able to make enough jackets to meet the demand, and price point that benefits the consumer.

I am keeping my jacket, and had no intentions of returning it. I was just curious if this was a permanent change, or error from post New Years parties!

thats funny. When I got mine i noticed the same thing and seam sealed it. I haven't put it to the test yet but am satisfied with myself for improving something a well known company made not so well.

IMO still a great jacket to have when temps drop.

LandYacht

WKR
That is a true deal breaker for me and a bummer at the same time. I had been eyeing this jacket as my next clothing purchase, but will now look elsewhere. Thanks for the info!

Interesting, the price has not changed since it went up has it?

I never understand the QC issue either,if it was that much of a pain in the ass why roll it out like that in the first place.

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
The parka is an insulation layer and not designed or marketed as rain gear so I do not see the issue. The piece is designed appropriately for the specified use. IMO this is a fly $#!+ in the pepper-level complaint.

Akicita

WKR
The piece is designed appropriately for the specified use. IMO this is a fly $#!+ in the pepper-level complaint.

A Raglan sleeve allows more room in the armpit area thus more room for layers. It also allows better articulation in the shoulder and back for shooting, climbing and any other range of motion activity. Set in seams only benefits are ease of manufacturing and a more tailored look. In my opinion this is a legitimate concern for a high activity performance jacket.

So if the "specific use" is to look like a tailored dress suit jacket they certainly hit the mark. . .

dotman

WKR
So guess mine is worth more then I paid for it now with the design change :).

Akicita

WKR
So guess mine is worth more then I paid for it now with the design change :).

If your's is the Raglan design then I would say yes - it would be worth more to me. . . However some may just want the appearance of broader shoulders so in that case the "Set In" sleeve design would be worth more to them.

Function over form takes precedence with me, so I will go with better design any day of the week.

dotman

WKR
Well if they ever release a Range Green color option I'll probably sell mine. Would be nice if they came out with zipoff sleeves.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I just received a medium. It's raglan style with the old logo. Maybe I got lucky and there were some left over in stock.

Interesting. I would have never noticed that. I just got got one a few months ago and my only real complaint was its a little tight in the shoulder area.(but I got pretty wide shoulders) Now I kinda wonder how an old gen would fit me.
But that's being pretty picky and I like the jacket enough that I wish they made lost park zip off pants.....

LBFowler

WKR
A Raglan sleeve allows more room in the armpit area thus more room for layers. It also allows better articulation in the shoulder and back for shooting, climbing and any other range of motion activity. Set in seams only benefits are ease of manufacturing and a more tailored look. In my opinion this is a legitimate concern for a high activity performance jacket.

While this is an accepted explanation, it quite simply isn't true. Both raglan sleeves and set-in sleeves can be made a 100 different ways and making any kind of generalization (other then seam placement) is useless.

Raglan sleeves can be set in perpendicular to the body or at any angle, just like a set-in sleeve, and there are plenty of examples of both in the activewear industry. If fact, most of the very best outerwear uses a heavily modified set in sleeve rather then a raglan, which allows them to have less fabric under the armpit and better range of motion. Many raglan sleeves will have more room under the armpit but this also means more fabric bunched up there when your arms are at your sides. Eliminated this bunching fabric is reason enough to use a set-in sleeve in many applications.

Many raglan sleeves even have an additional seem all the way down the top of the arm from the neck down to the cuff because a traditional one-piece raglan sleeve does not allow enough shaping to make a well-fitting garment. In my opinion pure raglan sleeves should be limited to knit and stretch fabrics only, and most woven garments are better off with some kind of set in sleeve.