Kifaru Hacks

OP
thegoosano
I had a similar idea and bought a few to try. One of them snapped in half while tightening a strap. Could've been a defect but I'm not risking using them for anything load bearing anymore. Just a FYI

Oh damn really? The marsupial ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22lr

WKR
Not really a hack, but something I did was attache a FILBE bag to a 24in tactical frame. I haven't fully finished what I want to do with it yet, but my plans are to make a meat shelf that will attach where I've attached the bag.
I am still able to use the bottom and top load lifter adjustment with the bag. And the reason I went with the bag is because you can pick them up stupid cheap, huge, and bomb proof. I will post more pictures when I've completed it. View attachment 389835
Super interested in what you did to make this work! Looks great so far, and it helps that the bags are usually sub $50!

Sherman

WKR
Look over your pack and find ways to simplify it. In the next few photos my reckoning which everyone complains about being too strapy is very streamlined if you double purpose the buckles. Use one of the horizontal compression straps to hold down the snow collar. All you have to do is add a corresponding male-female on the snow collar. My favorite hack is to use a k clip at the bottom of the bag on the webbing and suck up all the extra material. This really tightens the pack up and creates a wedge at the bottom so your items ride higher and closer to center of gravity. This also creates a channel to run all your straps through. My last strap hack is to eliminate the auto lock buckles on the sides of a pack. Replace them with the 4 circled that come in the buckle repair kit. This will take all of the flop out in day mode. Kifaru doesn’t have a stengrh rating on this style of buckle but I’ve routinely loaded 140+ pounds and trained year round for 3 years set up this way.
8e283c3bd45049c6803524709e4d765c.jpg

64b4fab3ffe8e0ee86ec3de2a841e766.jpg

ae76cb411483f2518dfc08124c06f60a.jpg

I have the MaDeuce, but I will try to incorporate this idea somehow.

jAKe0711

Lil-Rokslider
Super interested in what you did to make this work! Looks great so far, and it helps that the bags are usually sub $50!
If you watch Ebay you can pick them up even cheaper. When I got this one, it was a set of 2 bags for 30$ including shipping!
Here's how I've attached the bottom of the pack, the tension on the bottom pulls the pack into the frame slot on the top. I will keep posting pictures as I go and figure everything out. I had 2 spare metal triglides laying around and just sewed the webbing to them and added male buckles because the bag already came with females attached.

Attachments

• 20220314_192835.jpg
    20220314_192835.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 20220314_192858.jpg
    20220314_192858.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 20220314_192934.jpg
    20220314_192934.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 103
  • 20220314_193037.jpg
    20220314_193037.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 106

22lr

WKR
If you watch Ebay you can pick them up even cheaper. When I got this one, it was a set of 2 bags for 30$ including shipping!
Here's how I've attached the bottom of the pack, the tension on the bottom pulls the pack into the frame slot on the top. I will keep posting pictures as I go and figure everything out. I had 2 spare metal triglides laying around and just sewed the webbing to them and added male buckles because the bag already came with females attached.
Awesome! Thanks for the tips! Can't wait to give this a try!

22lr

WKR
Just an update, I built this setup for my brother, has been on 2 week+ long Alaska trips and worked pretty well. For one we hiked in 14miles each way, zero issues with the frame, bag or fit between the 2 (IE, nothing coming loose). The bag leaves alot to be desired with customization and being able to get cinched down (compared to a my SG or a real Kifaru bag) but the frame is comfortable enough to really balance out the combo. My BL: as a budget bag, until you can afford the real bag to go on the frame, this is 100% a workable solution.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
1. Buy a bag
2. Slap it on

The FILBE was a Mystery Ranch designed pack, it rides a NICE frame really well and a 24" Duplex pretty well. 26" or 28" Duplex probably won't line up quite as well but should work.

I ran my G1 22 mag on my NICE frame briefly when I was "between" having a 24" Duplex, it worked well.

Nomad on an Omni Yoke works REALLY well too, if you ever want to try that Jake. I think that might be my favorite use for it, 2nd place is stacking a Scout under a TG1. I "HAD" a cargo panel, but damned if I can find it, my original fantasies were conceived on Mel's front porch, with Mel showing all the ways to sandwich long pockets and claymores on that 18" frame.

I need to post some pics here.... There's a 3-bar webbing hack from Firecog on Kifaruforums.net back in the day that's just gold....

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

jAKe0711

Lil-Rokslider
1. Buy a bag
2. Slap it on

The FILBE was a Mystery Ranch designed pack, it rides a NICE frame really well and a 24" Duplex pretty well. 26" or 28" Duplex probably won't line up quite as well but should work.

I ran my G1 22 mag on my NICE frame briefly when I was "between" having a 24" Duplex, it worked well.

Nomad on an Omni Yoke works REALLY well too, if you ever want to try that Jake. I think that might be my favorite use for it, 2nd place is stacking a Scout under a TG1. I "HAD" a cargo panel, but damned if I can find it, my original fantasies were conceived on Mel's front porch, with Mel showing all the ways to sandwich long pockets and claymores on that 18" frame.

I need to post some pics here.... There's a 3-bar webbing hack from Firecog on Kifaruforums.net back in the day that's just gold....

I'd love to see those 3 bar webbing hacks you speak of!
I recently got my hands on a omni yoke and am excited to try it out! Seeing some of the photos in the archives definitely has me interested in stacking stuff on it!

Ya I did that the first time but it made the connection too long if that makes sense. It’s a lot tighter with less slop this way

Or, You could just buy the tactical frame and use the higher meat shelf hook ups. I’m not being a wise guy. Just making you aware that they do offer a frame with a higher shelf hook up option.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
I'd love to see those 3 bar webbing hacks you speak of!
I recently got my hands on a omni yoke and am excited to try it out! Seeing some of the photos in the archives definitely has me interested in stacking stuff on it!
Here's a picture of a few of those, one threaded through PALS with a field repair female kydex buckle, one just laying there so you can see that the webbing is sewn to 2 of the 3 bars of the 3-bar slider, which keeps them from coming unattached like Kifaru's applications with their 500D organizers and spotting scope pockets.

Firecog nailed it...

There's another pic of a few shell/game bags we're going to be using this weekend pheasant/grouse hunting. One's an XTL lid with a spotting scope pocket rolled up as a dump pouch for birds, (shells in the main pocket of the lid) the other's a 2qt pouch with Rugged Stitching predecessor to Mel's PocketUp Morph Pocket, another dump pouch really, inspired by the Loco (then G1 22mag, then Mel's Morph and Terrier Patrol Pack). Lots of in and out of vehicles, I got sick of screwing with vests trying to get birds in/out. Dump pouch for birds on a sling able to carry a box (or 2 or 3) of shells.Screenshot_20231214_001454_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231214_001735_Gallery.jpg

jAKe0711

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a picture of a few of those, one threaded through PALS with a field repair female kydex buckle, one just laying there so you can see that the webbing is sewn to 2 of the 3 bars of the 3-bar slider, which keeps them from coming unattached like Kifaru's applications with their 500D organizers and spotting scope pockets.

Firecog nailed it...

There's another pic of a few shell/game bags we're going to be using this weekend pheasant/grouse hunting. One's an XTL lid with a spotting scope pocket rolled up as a dump pouch for birds, (shells in the main pocket of the lid) the other's a 2qt pouch with Rugged Stitching predecessor to Mel's PocketUp Morph Pocket, another dump pouch really, inspired by the Loco (then G1 22mag, then Mel's Morph and Terrier Patrol Pack). Lots of in and out of vehicles, I got sick of screwing with vests trying to get birds in/out. Dump pouch for birds on a sling able to carry a box (or 2 or 3) of shells.View attachment 642021View attachment 642022

Sweet setup Rob! I never had thought about using a spotting scope pocket as a dump pouch! Seems like it works well attached to the XTL.

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
Mostly works on older frames or tactical frames, but I will run little bungee straps on the frame under a pack and then strap one or two trekking poles there. Typically just one. Then when I kill something or am in the dark headed out, etc, I’ll pull the trekking pole out and ready to rock. Keeps it tight to the frame and out of the way of the rest of my stuff. I just switched frames so I don’t have it hooked up now. Looking at the lite frame I don’t think this will work the same. IMG_3107.jpeg

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Sweet setup Rob! I never had thought about using a spotting scope pocket as a dump pouch! Seems like it works well attached to the XTL.
The old 2qt pouches hold 50 2 3/4" 12 gauge shells (with room) and can work with a spotting scope pocket and shoulder straps too.